Author Topic: 2 transformers 15 v 6a to 15-0-15 v at 6a  (Read 1629 times)

Offline rahulrahullllTopic starter

• Contributor
2 transformers 15 v 6a to 15-0-15 v at 6a
« on: December 14, 2017, 03:45:36 pm »
i have 2 transformers—–same type—–15 v 6a —each———made by same manufacturer-- i join the 0 v of each to make dual rail supply of 15-0-15 v 6a --ac--for amplifier

--The turns on a pair of paralleled secondary must be IDENTICAL----i guess they are same as made by same manufacturer-------

cheap transformer rated at 16-0-16 v 6a w.r.t to 2 rails so each rail gets 3a ?

my main intention of making this--------because 2 16 v transformer cheaper than 16-016 v transf---and i will get 6a on each rail ?

now what do you think can it be done without any issues ?

thank you

Offline Connoiseur

• Regular Contributor
Re: 2 transformers 15 v 6a to 15-0-15 v at 6a
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 04:13:48 pm »
i have 2 transformers—–same type—–15 v 6a —each———made by same manufacturer-- i join the 0 v of each to make dual rail supply of 15-0-15 v 6a --ac--for amplifier
No you cannot get 15-0-15 that way. You should connect 0 of one transformer to 15 of the other. However this will work if and only if the winding polarities have been marked in a consistent manner by the manufacturer.

A better approach is connect the primaries in parallel first (and don't change it later) then connect 0V of first transformer secondary to 15V of other; measure the voltage across the other two ends. It should read about 30V, otherwise swap the secondary of any one transformer.

--The turns on a pair of paralleled secondary must be IDENTICAL----i guess they are same as made by same manufacturer-------

They must be same, however given the fact that a majority of cheap transformers in India are hand wound in small workshop by unskilled labour, I doubt it would be. Why are you asking about paralleling? Your requirement does not need a parallel connection.

cheap transformer rated at 16-0-16 v 6a w.r.t to 2 rails so each rail gets 3a ?

No each will get 6A. Current is not halved in a center tap transformer it's voltage alone.

my main intention of making this--------because 2 16 v transformer cheaper than 16-016 v transf---and i will get 6a on each rail ?

now what do you think can it be done without any issues ?

Could you please rephrase the above sentence and provide a circuit diagram maybe. That will help us better understand your problem and offer appropriate suggestions.

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 05:11:06 pm »
It is silly to use two transformers to replace a center-tapped transformer.
15VAC when rectified and filtered produces about 19VDC when loaded. It might be 24VDC when lightly loaded. Will your amplifier survive plus and minus 24V?

Offline rahulrahullllTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 07:30:41 pm »
thanks everybody------------

Connoiseur---------You should connect 0 of one transformer to 15 of the other. -----this means connection series connection--------

then will i get 15-0-15 v ac @6a as output ?

Offline Benta

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 09:43:31 pm »
There's no problem at all in doing this.
You need to phase the transformers correctly, but with an AC voltmeter it's easy.
Connect the primaries in parallel.
Connect two wires from the different secondaries together (= series).
Measure the voltage across the non-connected secondary wires. If it's around 30 V AC, you have your 15-0-15 V combo. If it's around 0, swap one of the secondary wires and measure again.

Yes, you'll have 15-0-15 V @ 6 A at the end.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf