Author Topic: 220V power  (Read 12305 times)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter

Mentioning UTP was to show people to get an easy concept what 24 AWG wire looks like.

HURRAH!  This is the piece of clarification that was completely missing in the original question.  The implication was there - but you had to work at it to see it.

Implication is a bad means of communication , when it comes to EE.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
HURRAH!  This is the piece of clarification that was completely missing in the original question.  The implication was there - but you had to work at it to see it.

No one cared about UTP matter while I'm focusing on the possibility of 220VAC over 24AWG in mathematical manner, until one sneaky faultfinder bites it.

Then perhaps you shouldn't have mentioned an obviously unsuitable cable type.

Wait, you were looking to make trouble, not have a technical discussion..

24AWG itself is fine electrically. Mechanically and in terms of cable construction it rarely, if ever, is applicable to mains voltage applications.

Happy?

The following users thanked this post: drussell

Offline Brumby

• Supporter

No one cared about UTP matter while I'm focusing on the possibility of 220VAC over 24AWG in mathematical manner, until one sneaky faultfinder bites it.
You are seriously deluded!

READ YOUR TITLE.

Not what you think it says - but the actual text you wrote.  There's no sneakiness involved - just people taking notice of what you typed.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:25:30 pm by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, drussell

Offline Brumby

• Supporter

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
ps. 65ft != 10m.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
I'm sorry - but your interest in the technical discussion was not even in the race when compared to your interest in defending your poorly phrased question.

Rather than apologise for the confusion, you blamed everybody else.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Mentioning UTP was to show people to get an easy concept what 24 AWG wire looks like.

Of course I would not keep the 24 AWG wires staying in the original UTP rubber tube if they were to be powered.

Only the stupid would worry about what if one would do it.

Are you RaspberryPi, MJC or a new troll?

It's RaspberryPi, surely.  :-\
Best Regards, Chris

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
ps. 65ft != 10m.

Wow you at last found it~!! Genius! Like lightspeed..

Ah, you assume I didn't see it immediately because I didn't immediately comment on it. It wasn't at all relevant - I just figured I'd take a small dig.

Seriously, please go away.

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
I'd quite like him to stop calling posts "articles" too. :-//

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Dear Brumby,

I already got answers what I wanted from the other guys in the other sites without any stupid problem arguing with UTP of something.

What the hell is going on with you guys?

This:

We prefer to live to see the next day.

You come here with us not knowing what your background is and pose a question that explicitly mentions a type of cable that is completely unsuitable.  This question is asked from a community of engineers and enthusiasts, many of whom have had direct experience in the safety aspects of EE - and others have a clear understanding of the risks.

When we see such a first impression, the first thing we want to ensure is that you are suitably warned.  Remember - we don't have the foggiest idea of what other advice you've been given, so don't blame us for repeating the same "crap".  There's a reason it will get repeated.  I would hope you understand what that reason is.

As painful as it has been so far, we don't want to see you, your house or your friends and family suffer from a preventable tragedy.

When you came here as you did - the initial impression you gave was exactly this.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, drussell

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
ps. 65ft != 10m.

Wow you at last found it~!! Genius! Like lightspeed..

Adding more points on the Troll score sheet......   :palm:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
I already got answers what I wanted from the other guys in the other sites without any stupid problem arguing with UTP of something.

What the hell is going on with you guys?

I'm just a newbie here and no reputation to protect at all. Leave now with an image of horde biting from EEVBLOG trolls.

Standing up from the chair to take a plane home. And will make another ID in EEVBLOG tomorrow.

Just pity you guys.

PS: I gained no useful knowledge from u guys about my question. So don't feel robbed of something :P

A typical response from someone who has not won their battle - and is too arrogant to accept responsibility for their complicity.

Don't let the door hit you in the rear on your way out.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
!!! Bonus points !!!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Perhaps we can all calm down and start with orangepi explaining what he actually doing. This thread seems to have little technical detail and the first post is confusing at best....

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
Those other sites seem to serve your purposes better; given that, I'd consider continuing to use them.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
To the OP, I first suggest looking up your local electrical code and investigating the appropriate regulations and specifications.

Here in Canada, the minimum size of wire that may be permanently installed, run through walls, etc. for MAINS is 14 ga (AWG).  This corresponds to the minimum conductor ampacity required for the minimum sized circuit, 15A (120v, 60 Hz, of course.) You are never allowed to use smaller wire, under any circumstances for MAINS installations.  Low voltage, fine.  You can use things like 18ga bell wire to wire your 24v doorbell, etc.  There are separate regulations and requirements for these low-voltage circuits.  In most parts of the world, these classes generally change at around 48 Vac or 60 Vdc, but it can vary by jurisdiction.

An extension cord or appliance cord that is used to temporarily connect an item to a mains plug, never run through a wall or permanently installed, can be smaller and it is up to the manufacturer of the appliance or the user of the extension cord, etc. to ensure that the cable used is appropriately sized, however, there are still rules!  Here in Canada, an extension cord or device cable on an appliance may never be less than 18ga, even if the load is only a few watts.  This allows enough ampacity to allow a breaker to blow if there is a short in the appliance before the wire bursts into flames.

Interestingly, the only exception to the 18ga rule is for Christmas lights.  "Tinsel Cord" as our code calls it, is allowed to be as small as 20ga, but modern regulations require a 3A fuse in the plug itself (typically a one-time, non-replaceable imbedded fuse) to help protect the tiny cord.  Other than this, we typically don't have fuses in the device plug like they do in Britain.

My main point is that you probably are never allowed to use 24ga wire of any insulation type to run mains.  Under any circumstances! 

It is a good idea for a reason and is minimum code for a reason. There is plenty of math behind these decisions and I suggest to the OP that he begin by doing the math as to how well a 24ga conductor will handle a fault condition at 220 volts and go from there.

The reasons why you "don't do that" should begin to be self evident.  :)

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
Re: 220V power
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2018, 02:46:18 pm »
Since the OP decided to change his original post and delete all the replies, I will just leave this original post here for posterity:

Subject:  220V power over 24 AWG UTP cable to the transformer for 5V DC 3A for RaspberryPi

Considering transformer's power efficiency to be 80%, 220 x I x 80/100 = 5 x 3. That is, I = 5 x 3 x 100 / 80 / 220 = 0.085227273 = 85.2mA 220V AC over 24 AWG single cable.

Is it possible? Considering the 220V cable length to be 65 feet (=10 meters), as I know AC power has far better efficiency in voltage drop over wire than DC power.

I know this is bullshit. But somebody could show the mathematical why.

The following users thanked this post: wasyoungonce, tooki, newbrain

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf