Author Topic: 220V power  (Read 12331 times)

Offline orangepiTopic starter

• !
220V power
« on: April 08, 2018, 07:53:08 am »
Power up 240V over .5mm diameter copper wire will burn your house. lol~ Even though it's a small experiment, it will burn your house and neighbors and all environment.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 02:36:22 pm by orangepi »

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
  • Current job: ATEX product design
Not mathematical. The UTP cable and the connector is not rated for 220V. A CAT5 cable is only rated to 72V DC, 0.6A. The connector is not touch proof, and the clearance and creepage distances are violated. It is a very bad idea.

The following users thanked this post: drussell

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Possible, yes. Sensible, no.
There is no inherent efficiency difference between ac and dc.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
Not mathematical. The UTP cable and the connector is not rated for 220V. A CAT5 cable is only rated to 72V DC, 0.6A. The connector is not touch proof, and the clearance and creepage distances are violated. It is a very bad idea.

Sorry I read this kind of answers thousands of times.
So, listen to them maybe? :palm:

Offline fourtytwo42

• Super Contributor
  • Interested in all things green/ECO NOT political

Sorry I read this kind of answers thousands of times.

Maybe that should be telling you something rather than blundering on against everybody's opinions. Use a roperly rated cable for the job together with properly rated connectors. I heard that in Australia licenced electricians are required for everything mains related, I thought that was over the top till I read your thread :)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
If your first post was clearer about what you were actually asking, you would get better answers.

Look up the resistance per metre of the cable, and the max permissible voltage drop for your load,then apply Ohm's law.

The usual solution is to use 24 or 48v, with a DC-DC converter.at the load.
Or PoE if you also need data
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Is it possible? Considering the 220V cable length to be 65 feet (=10 meters), as I know AC power has far better efficiency in voltage drop over wire than DC power.

I know this is bullshit. But somebody could show the mathematical why.

How do you "know" that AC power has "far better" efficiency in voltage drop vs DC.
Show the mathematically why ?  :P

Fyi, 220 VAC (RMS) "equal to" 220 VDC ... there you go, apply with the same formula you used above.

Offline Twoflower

• Frequent Contributor
... as I know AC power has far better efficiency in voltage drop over wire than DC power.
Er, no. Check for dielectric losses. Or why do you think in some places they take the detour to rectify and transmit DC and going back to AC. For sure not just for fun.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
... as I know AC power has far better efficiency in voltage drop over wire than DC power.
Er, no. Check for dielectric losses. Or why do you think in some places they take the detour to rectify and transmit DC and going back to AC. For sure not just for fun.

I don't understand why people talk about break even distances ( >800km ) AC transmission power loss while I ask about 65 ft cable.

The power losses ( P w ) in the wire are a product of the square of the current (I) and the resistance (R) of the wire, described by the formula: P w = I ^ 2 R . This means that when transmitting a fixed power on a given wire, if the current is halved (i.e. the voltage is doubled), the power loss will be four times less.
It's NOT about mathematically proving ~80mA is possible over 24 AWG cable for ~20m, we all know it is.
It's YOU not listening to highly experienced members of this forum !

230VAC over UTP class cable is NOT SAFE and very unwise. Period !
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor

I don't understand why people talk about break even distances ( >800km ) AC transmission power loss while I ask about 65 ft cable.

The power losses ( P w ) in the wire are a product of the square of the current (I) and the resistance (R) of the wire, described by the formula: P w = I ^ 2 R . This means that when transmitting a fixed power on a given wire, if the current is halved (i.e. the voltage is doubled), the power loss will be four times less.
It's NOT about mathematically proving ~80mA is possible over 24 AWG cable for ~20m, we all know it is.
It's YOU not listening to highly experienced members of this forum !

230VAC over UTP class cable is NOT SAFE and very unwise. Period !

Thank you for your emotional and subjective and non-physical expressions 'NOT SAFE', 'unwise', 'Period!'.
The 1001st same answer I read today.
Read again and try to understand......if you can.

Go ahead and try it, just be sure you don't electrocute anyone or burn the house down.

Darwinian award candidate don't you think guys ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline Twoflower

• Frequent Contributor
I haven't said that the effects apply of your 20m cable running 50Hz. But your assumption AC is better for transport power is not correct.

Transport power with higher voltages makes sense. Until you run into physical limits. Breakdown of the insulation within the cable, creeping distance and security reasons.

The down side with AC is that the peak voltage is different with the effective voltage. So your 220V has actually about 311V peak voltage that your insulation has to handle. And do you know that in residential areas for example in Germany (EU?) the devices has to accept even surges up to 1kV on mains?

Under specific conditions you can probably run higher currents and/or higher voltages over that cable without something happens. As there are security margins. But they are there for a reason. Especially bending cable will waken the voltage resiliency and increasing the thermal insulation of the cable in a cable channel/embedded in wall insulation will increase the temperature significantly.

Violating specific rules put you, other people and your environment in danger and probably no insurance will cover that.

Offline nali

• Frequent Contributor
Leaving the unsuitable choice of cable aside, I think he's just [badly] asking whether to run 220VAC or 5VDC over the 65ft.

"AC" -> mains power
"DC" -> 5V (or whatever the Pi uses now)
"Transformer" -> SMPSU

Offline Twoflower

• Frequent Contributor
You know current causes 'flashovers' its the voltage.

I mentioned there are rules that 'limits' the usage. I also mentioned that you can run more current through a wire. In theory if you put a wire into a rim you can currents through that wire until the copper melts. Or better it can run currents until it is evaporated or build up copper oxide. Probably in theory you can build up a plasma out of your copper and run current through a plasma out of the atomic nucleolus and free electrons. I would assume the copper of your AWG24 will allow for several thousands kAmps.

The voltage limit is a bit more complicated. Even in vacuum you can get breakdowns. So there's the distance the limit. Lookup for "breakdown field strength" for more information based on material.

The manufacturer of the cable designed it that way that is guaranteed to maintain a safe operation under the given conditions. So in fact there is a big part of uncertainty they have to cope with.

And by the way: If you think that everyone  else is to stupid to understand your question I would think about that maybe the question is not understandable. And blaming people doesn't help. Be lucky that you get actually answers after the way you talk to them.

I think I'm out and enjoy the nice weather here.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Leaving the unsuitable choice of cable aside, I think he's just [badly] asking whether to run 220VAC or 5VDC over the 65ft.

"AC" -> mains power
"Transformer" -> SMPSU

I didn't ask whether to run 220 or 5 over 65ft.

Read the title again : "220V power over 24 AWG UTP cable to the transformer for 5V DC 3A for RaspberryPi"

How many times do I have to remind these guys of the phrases I used in my article?
Only once is enough and it hasn't changed my POV.
~15W (5Vx3A) is bugger all but 220V on a cable that's only designed and rated for LV is the problem.
Why do you not understand that ?

Pick a 24 AWG mains rated cable and none of us will have any problem with it.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor

"AC" -> mains power
"Transformer" -> SMPSU

Read the title again : "220V power over 24 AWG UTP cable to the transformer for 5V DC 3A for RaspberryPi"

How many times do I have to remind these guys of the phrases I used in my article?
~15W (5Vx3A) is bugger all but 220V on a cable that's only designed and rated for LV is the problem.

Oh my goodness!

I fully understand this idea is a BULLSHIT. (Oh, how many times I mentioned it today. lol~)

I know one should pick up MAINS rated cable for 220V! I agree that it's dangerous, not safe, illegal, blah blah... -_-

What do u want from me?!! I don't need your answers, your explanation off the topic, etc.
Mains rated UTP cable spec.  :popcorn:
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
My question was plain simple. --> "Is it possible to the transfer 220V power over 24 AWG UTP cable to the transformer for 5V DC 3A for Raspberry Pi? I know it's bullshit. But someone could show MATHEMATICAL why on this."

And one answered, "DANGER", another answered, "NOT SAFE", another "not rated so", "unwise", "period!", "illegal" blah, blah..

Dear orangepi: You obviously have insufficient knowledge of the subject at hand (which is, presumably, why you're asking here). A pile of experienced members are telling you this is an exceedingly bad idea. You'd do well to listen.

As for the question of "WHYYY NO MAINS OVER ETHERNET": The insulation in the cable is insufficient to SAFELY run 220 volts. Yes, it'll WORK. Will it catch on fire a week later? Will it shock you, your pets, or make kittens spontaneously combust? Maybe.

And "It might shock me" is never good enough, which is why we have standards for these sorts of things. I don't give a shit about your risk tolerance; there are other people in the world who will, at the very least, have to mop up after you fuck it up, not to mention the risk of hurting innocent bystanders. If you still think it's a good idea, please do go stick a fork in an outlet and lick it.

(And as for "DURRR I WANT MATHEMATICAL PROOF OF WHY THIS IS BAD": Just... no. I'm sure you can see how towing a car with a bandaid isn't going to end well, or bungee jumping with a piece of string. Just leave it and go do something else, and leave the electronics to the grown-ups.)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor

"AC" -> mains power
"Transformer" -> SMPSU

Oh my goodness!

I fully understand this idea is a BULLSHIT. (Oh, how many times I mentioned it today. lol~)

I know one should pick up MAINS rated cable for 220V! I agree that it's dangerous, not safe, illegal, blah blah... -_-

What do u want from me?!! I don't need your answers, your explanation off the topic, etc.

Plz don't be a troll here.
Then edit UTP out of the subject line.
Do you not understand that's where we all have trouble with your idea ?

If you need to safely supply mains power to a transformer and need data up/down in the same cable it's not a good idea with a single multi-pair cable. To safely do it you need 2 cables, one for mains (and suitably rated) and another for the data connectivity.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor

"AC" -> mains power
"Transformer" -> SMPSU

Oh my goodness!

If you need to safely supply mains power to a transformer and need data up/down in the same cable it's not a good idea with a single multi-pair cable. To safely do it you need 2 cables, one for mains (and suitably rated) and another for the data connectivity.

Oh, man.. this is not your play ground. Plz stop.

No body was questionable about power-signal parallel wiring here. But you explained about that. WHY?

I really don't know what you want to gain here.
Clarity from you.

Do you intend to use UTP cabling for 230VAC ?
If so you're nuts !

If not you should remove UTP from the thread subject line.

Now take a step back and think about the answers you're seeking and then make sure your question can't be misinterpreted. From your reactions to replies I'm sure it has been.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online tszaboo

• Super Contributor
I see one troll here, but it is not him.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, blueskull, newbrain, drussell, sokoloff, Twoflower

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor

"AC" -> mains power
"Transformer" -> SMPSU

Oh my goodness!

Oh, man.. this is not your play ground. Plz stop.

No body was questionable about power-signal parallel wiring here. But you explained about that. WHY?

I really don't know what you want to gain here.
Clarity from you.

Do you intend to use UTP cabling for 230VAC ?
If so you're nuts !

If not you should remove UTP from the thread subject line.

Now take a step back and think about the answers you're seeking and then make sure your question can't be misinterpreted. From your reactions to replies I'm sure it has been.

you're nuts trolling me.

Even though I mentioned many times that I would not apply this idea in real world, you don't stop trolling me and insulting me.

The answer which could be called an answer was already posted previously, but you're trolling out of me off the topic continuously.

Who said I'm gonna power up on a twisted 24AWG wire? It's someone in your brain, not me.
Thread subject:
220V power over 24 AWG UTP cable to the transformer for 5V DC 3A for RaspberryPi

What planet are you on ?
Obviously not planet EEVblog.

I hand it over to someone else to set this turkey straight.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor

Thread subject:
220V power over 24 AWG UTP cable to the transformer for 5V DC 3A for RaspberryPi

What planet are you on ?
Obviously not planet EEVblog.

I hand it over to someone else to set this turkey straight.

UTP cable has 4 pairs of twisted wires and
you're the only one who's gonna power a pair of them up with 220VAC to warm up your house with fire. I'm not.
Ah, OK so who's the troll with the click bait thread subject line ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
Ah, by deduction we might have some clues to what the OP really needs.

From mains to ~20m away 5v @ 3A.
Yep, PoE is the only viable way over UTP cabling.

The OP can Google PoE, let's not do it all for him.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Go measure the thickness of the insulation on the cable and then look up the breakdown voltage of polyolefin insulation. Scale, apply standard insulation deratings, there's your mathematical answer.

Once you've done that, go away.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
orangepi, you have only yourself to blame for the reaction you have garnered here.

The original problem lies less in the responses - but more in how you phrased your question.

It would seem to me that your question relates to the losses of 220V power over 65 feet of a 24 AWG conductor.  That is a fair question.

However, you muddied the waters completely by adding a particular type of cable which is completely unsuitable for such considerations.  That is your mistake - and you should take responsibility for that.

But that's just the beginning.  The fact that you are asking this simple question indicates you have a very limited understanding and that, coupled with the mentioning of a quite unsuitable cable, sets off the safety alarm bells of anybody and everybody who has the faintest inkling of the risk.

THEN you get on your high horse and, rather than apologise for your poorly phrased question, you continue to defend it, claiming it was all very clear from the beginning.  You have completely ignored any concerns from the members here AND you have taken them to task for being obtuse.

Such an arrogance is not going to earn you any respect - and it is certainly going to put people off from even considering helping you.  I mean, why should we stick our neck out when we can expect to be attacked if our interpretation of you questions are based on what you said - and not what you meant?

If you want help, apologise for your actions, ask the question clearly (and, NO, you haven't done that yet) and act with some level of courtesy in dealing with the responses.

As for me, I've spent enough of my time trying to help you by typing this up.  I doubt it was time well spent - but I would like you to prove me wrong.

The following users thanked this post: Dataforensics, drussell, Twoflower

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Go measure the thickness of the insulation on the cable and then look up the breakdown voltage of polyolefin insulation. Scale, apply standard insulation deratings, there's your mathematical answer.

Once you've done that, go away.

Breakdown voltage of polyolefin insulation doesn't matter if the both wire being kept apart enough.

Which they're not. Please proceed to the second part of my post.

The following users thanked this post: cs.dk

Offline Brumby

• Supporter

Mentioning UTP was to show people to get an easy concept what 24 AWG wire looks like.

HURRAH!  This is the piece of clarification that was completely missing in the original question.  The implication was there - but you had to work at it to see it.

Implication is a bad means of communication , when it comes to EE.

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
HURRAH!  This is the piece of clarification that was completely missing in the original question.  The implication was there - but you had to work at it to see it.

No one cared about UTP matter while I'm focusing on the possibility of 220VAC over 24AWG in mathematical manner, until one sneaky faultfinder bites it.

Then perhaps you shouldn't have mentioned an obviously unsuitable cable type.

Wait, you were looking to make trouble, not have a technical discussion..

24AWG itself is fine electrically. Mechanically and in terms of cable construction it rarely, if ever, is applicable to mains voltage applications.

Happy?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter

No one cared about UTP matter while I'm focusing on the possibility of 220VAC over 24AWG in mathematical manner, until one sneaky faultfinder bites it.
You are seriously deluded!

READ YOUR TITLE.

Not what you think it says - but the actual text you wrote.  There's no sneakiness involved - just people taking notice of what you typed.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 12:25:30 pm by Brumby »

The following users thanked this post: tooki, drussell

Offline Brumby

• Supporter

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
ps. 65ft != 10m.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
I'm sorry - but your interest in the technical discussion was not even in the race when compared to your interest in defending your poorly phrased question.

Rather than apologise for the confusion, you blamed everybody else.

The following users thanked this post: tooki

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
Mentioning UTP was to show people to get an easy concept what 24 AWG wire looks like.

Of course I would not keep the 24 AWG wires staying in the original UTP rubber tube if they were to be powered.

Only the stupid would worry about what if one would do it.

Are you RaspberryPi, MJC or a new troll?

It's RaspberryPi, surely.  :-\
Best Regards, Chris

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
ps. 65ft != 10m.

Wow you at last found it~!! Genius! Like lightspeed..

Ah, you assume I didn't see it immediately because I didn't immediately comment on it. It wasn't at all relevant - I just figured I'd take a small dig.

Seriously, please go away.

Offline ovnr

• Frequent Contributor
  • Lurker
I'd quite like him to stop calling posts "articles" too. :-//

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
Dear Brumby,

I already got answers what I wanted from the other guys in the other sites without any stupid problem arguing with UTP of something.

What the hell is going on with you guys?

This:

We prefer to live to see the next day.

You come here with us not knowing what your background is and pose a question that explicitly mentions a type of cable that is completely unsuitable.  This question is asked from a community of engineers and enthusiasts, many of whom have had direct experience in the safety aspects of EE - and others have a clear understanding of the risks.

When we see such a first impression, the first thing we want to ensure is that you are suitably warned.  Remember - we don't have the foggiest idea of what other advice you've been given, so don't blame us for repeating the same "crap".  There's a reason it will get repeated.  I would hope you understand what that reason is.

As painful as it has been so far, we don't want to see you, your house or your friends and family suffer from a preventable tragedy.

When you came here as you did - the initial impression you gave was exactly this.

The following users thanked this post: tooki, drussell

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
ps. 65ft != 10m.

Wow you at last found it~!! Genius! Like lightspeed..

Adding more points on the Troll score sheet......   :palm:

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
I already got answers what I wanted from the other guys in the other sites without any stupid problem arguing with UTP of something.

What the hell is going on with you guys?

I'm just a newbie here and no reputation to protect at all. Leave now with an image of horde biting from EEVBLOG trolls.

Standing up from the chair to take a plane home. And will make another ID in EEVBLOG tomorrow.

Just pity you guys.

PS: I gained no useful knowledge from u guys about my question. So don't feel robbed of something :P

A typical response from someone who has not won their battle - and is too arrogant to accept responsibility for their complicity.

Don't let the door hit you in the rear on your way out.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
!!! Bonus points !!!

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Perhaps we can all calm down and start with orangepi explaining what he actually doing. This thread seems to have little technical detail and the first post is confusing at best....

Offline sokoloff

• Super Contributor
Those other sites seem to serve your purposes better; given that, I'd consider continuing to use them.

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
To the OP, I first suggest looking up your local electrical code and investigating the appropriate regulations and specifications.

Here in Canada, the minimum size of wire that may be permanently installed, run through walls, etc. for MAINS is 14 ga (AWG).  This corresponds to the minimum conductor ampacity required for the minimum sized circuit, 15A (120v, 60 Hz, of course.) You are never allowed to use smaller wire, under any circumstances for MAINS installations.  Low voltage, fine.  You can use things like 18ga bell wire to wire your 24v doorbell, etc.  There are separate regulations and requirements for these low-voltage circuits.  In most parts of the world, these classes generally change at around 48 Vac or 60 Vdc, but it can vary by jurisdiction.

An extension cord or appliance cord that is used to temporarily connect an item to a mains plug, never run through a wall or permanently installed, can be smaller and it is up to the manufacturer of the appliance or the user of the extension cord, etc. to ensure that the cable used is appropriately sized, however, there are still rules!  Here in Canada, an extension cord or device cable on an appliance may never be less than 18ga, even if the load is only a few watts.  This allows enough ampacity to allow a breaker to blow if there is a short in the appliance before the wire bursts into flames.

Interestingly, the only exception to the 18ga rule is for Christmas lights.  "Tinsel Cord" as our code calls it, is allowed to be as small as 20ga, but modern regulations require a 3A fuse in the plug itself (typically a one-time, non-replaceable imbedded fuse) to help protect the tiny cord.  Other than this, we typically don't have fuses in the device plug like they do in Britain.

My main point is that you probably are never allowed to use 24ga wire of any insulation type to run mains.  Under any circumstances! 

It is a good idea for a reason and is minimum code for a reason. There is plenty of math behind these decisions and I suggest to the OP that he begin by doing the math as to how well a 24ga conductor will handle a fault condition at 220 volts and go from there.

The reasons why you "don't do that" should begin to be self evident.  :)

Offline drussell

• Super Contributor
  • Hardcore Geek
Re: 220V power
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2018, 02:46:18 pm »
Since the OP decided to change his original post and delete all the replies, I will just leave this original post here for posterity:

Subject:  220V power over 24 AWG UTP cable to the transformer for 5V DC 3A for RaspberryPi

Considering transformer's power efficiency to be 80%, 220 x I x 80/100 = 5 x 3. That is, I = 5 x 3 x 100 / 80 / 220 = 0.085227273 = 85.2mA 220V AC over 24 AWG single cable.

Is it possible? Considering the 220V cable length to be 65 feet (=10 meters), as I know AC power has far better efficiency in voltage drop over wire than DC power.

I know this is bullshit. But somebody could show the mathematical why.

The following users thanked this post: wasyoungonce, tooki, newbrain

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf