Author Topic: 2n5818 transistor replacement  (Read 4537 times)

Offline cowboy303Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
2n5818 transistor replacement
« on: July 03, 2012, 12:20:58 am »
OK I have a BK Precision 1730 that has a little 2n5818 transistor that is bad.  And I need a replacement for it but the cheepest I can find it is $1 each and that's on eBay which I don't want to do.  So I was wondering if there is a replacement for it that's a bit cheaper.

« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 12:28:06 am by cowboy303 »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
Re: 2n5818 transistor replacement
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:22:59 am »
Hi,

When searching at Jameco, the result is a very common BC337 (its characteristics seem very similar)

http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/Product_10001_10001_254810_-1

Some repair sites also list this (and others) as equivalents:

http://www.lcdtvrepair.us/transistor/2N5818_Driver_de_audio_--13440

However, always keep in mind that, if the equipment requires precision or depends on a very specific characteristic of the device, an equivalent is not identical...
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline vk6zgo

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 05:15:35 am »
One trick if the transistor characteristics are very critical to the circuit,is to examine the schematic to see if they also use the same type in a non-critical application,such as turning on an LED,or whatever.
Very carefully remove that transistor,use it to replace the critical one,& fit a substitute part in the non-critical position.

Manufacturers frequently use one type of transistor both in circuits that need its special characteristics,& in other positions that don't,as a method of reducing inventory.

Of course,If the original transistor is in a non-critical position,just replace it with a substitute.

Offline Codemonkey

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 07:53:47 am »
FWIW, towers international transistor selector book also lists the BC337 as an equivalent.

Offline cowboy303Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 01:14:19 pm »
One trick if the transistor characteristics are very critical to the circuit,is to examine the schematic to see if they also use the same type in a non-critical application,such as turning on an LED,or whatever.
Very carefully remove that transistor,use it to replace the critical one,& fit a substitute part in the non-critical position.

Manufacturers frequently use one type of transistor both in circuits that need its special characteristics,& in other positions that don't,as a method of reducing inventory.

Of course,If the original transistor is in a non-critical position,just replace it with a substitute.

Good idea I will switch it out with the transistor that runs the constant current led. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf