Author Topic: 4-output (but very basic) Power Supply  (Read 3874 times)

Offline trys

• Regular Contributor
  • I started with the AC128
    • Trystan's Workbench
Re: 4-output (but very basic) Power Supply
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 09:32:28 pm »
The transformer data will say the secondary is

0-18  (Let's call her Meg)
0-18 (Let's call him Harry)

So put one of the AC legs of the rectifier to the the 0 of Meg.
Put the other leg of the the rectifier to 18 of Harry.
Then join the 18 winding of Meg to the 0 winding of Harry.

You then get 36V RMS to the rectifier. This, surprisingly enough will give you 50V DC.

My concern is, and I don't want to offend you in any way, is that you are asking these elementary questions (fair enough) but are looking to explore the realms of wiring up to mains voltages.

We all have to learn, and you are learning a lot I'm sure (and so am I), but as far as mains voltages are concerned it does not take any prisoners. If you have any doubts at all, then you are best coming back to a PSU project when you have some more jolts under your belt. If you still want to pursue this, then it's probably a good idea to get some help locally off somebody that has carried out this kind of project and can guide you through this.

I imagine that the reason that more have not contributed to this topic is that you don't seem to have taken on the suggestions in the responses that had already been given (but it may be for an entirely different reason, I don't know).

Please don't be disheartened,
Trys

Offline SkrillBillTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2017, 10:17:10 pm »
The transformer data will say the secondary is

0-18  (Let's call her Meg)
0-18 (Let's call him Harry)

So put one of the AC legs of the rectifier to the the 0 of Meg.
Put the other leg of the the rectifier to 18 of Harry.
Then join the 18 winding of Meg to the 0 winding of Harry.

You then get 36V RMS to the rectifier. This, surprisingly enough will give you 50V DC.

My concern is, and I don't want to offend you in any way, is that you are asking these elementary questions (fair enough) but are looking to explore the realms of wiring up to mains voltages.

We all have to learn, and you are learning a lot I'm sure (and so am I), but as far as mains voltages are concerned it does not take any prisoners. If you have any doubts at all, then you are best coming back to a PSU project when you have some more jolts under your belt. If you still want to pursue this, then it's probably a good idea to get some help locally off somebody that has carried out this kind of project and can guide you through this.

I imagine that the reason that more have not contributed to this topic is that you don't seem to have taken on the suggestions in the responses that had already been given (but it may be for an entirely different reason, I don't know).

Please don't be disheartened,
Trys

I think the reason more haven't replied is because it's been buried for a while. I made another post a while ago that was basically a duplicate of this (unknowingly, but it turned into one after a couple replies so it was locked) but by that time this thread was off the main page. You could be right too, i also don't know. I haven't built anything for this project yet, but the schematic has been updated as others have suggested making tweaks.

You're probably right, i should get some more experience under by belt working with individual components of this project before i slap them all together. The original idea behind this project was to build my own PSU so i wouldn't have to buy one. However my job just gave out the christmas bonus and I can probably buy a power supply now.

Offline trys

• Regular Contributor
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2017, 10:25:01 pm »
Buy one.

Offline trys

• Regular Contributor
    • Trystan's Workbench
« Reply #28 on: December 07, 2017, 10:42:45 pm »
Again, you didn't acknowledge the advice you were given. Poor Harry and Meg.

The following users thanked this post: SkrillBill

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf