Author Topic: 555 timer output  (Read 3468 times)

Offline lawfreakTopic starter

555 timer output
« on: March 12, 2016, 03:57:26 am »
I have a 555 (556 chip) circuit with variable output controlled by a pot.  5 volt power. 14 Hz to 11.9 kHz

When I probe at the output, I get a 0v-5v square wave.  When I "probe" with my headphones I get a soft pop (DC?) and the expected sound.  (Another pop when removing the headphones)

When I add a 0.1µF ceramic and probe post-capacitor I get -2.5v to +2.5v square wave.  When I "probe" with my headphones I get the expected sound and no pop.

I anticipated the cap would take away the pop (DC?), but didn't expect to see those voltages at the output.  Am I misusing the scope, or are negative voltages expected in this situation?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2016, 04:08:02 am by lawfreak »

Offline obiwanjacobi

• Frequent Contributor
  • What's this yippee-yayoh pin you talk about!?
    • Marctronix Blog
Re: 555 timer output
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 06:27:13 am »
Yeah, the pop is the DC. You typically remove that by using a cap - but the value you chose might be a little low so it has a higher resistance to lower frequencies, giving you a lower output voltage.

Your scope has DC- and AC-coupling. That means without (DC) or with (AC) cap - so that is already built into the scope.

Try a 100uF electrolyte (positive to the NEN555 output.
Arduino Template Library | Zalt Z80 Computer
Wrong code should not compile!

Offline SaintGimp

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2016, 03:21:03 am »
If you're asking why you see a negative voltage after the capacitor, that's because it's doing exactly what it's supposed to be doing.

A capacitor doesn't pass DC current, as you know.  But you can get momentary movement of current on the downstream side of a capacitor as it charges or discharges.  As the capacitor charges up, it accumulates a significant negative charge on one of the plates.  That negative charge repels the electrons in the other plate so they leave the capacitor, creating a momentary flow of current.  But as soon as the capacitor finishes charging, everything settles down to steady state and you have no more current flowing downstream of the cap.

When the capacitor discharges, the negative charge on the upstream plate decreases, which allows electrons to return to the other plate, so you get a momentary flow of electrons *toward* the capacitor from downstream.  This is the negative voltage that you saw.

This is a desirable behavior to have for speakers because the neutral position for a speaker is right in the middle of its travel range.  You need a positive current to cause the membrane to move in one direction, and when you stop the current the membrane returns to the neutral position, but if you can provide a negative current then the membrane can also travel in the opposite direction so you get twice the travel distance and basically twice the work out of the speaker.

Offline ade

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2016, 02:26:35 pm »
Maybe another way to look at it... your original signal is an AC signal with a positive average value (2.5v, reflected as the DC component).

When you put the cap on, you are removing this DC component, so now you have the same AC signal but with a zero average value.  Hence the signal will be centered at 0, from -2.5v to +2.5v.

In this case, the signal is shifted to zero because the duty cycle is 50% so the average is exactly half the peak.  If you vary the square wave's duty cycle, the average value changes, so the amount of shift will also change.

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 04:11:03 am »
Thanks for the explanations everyone.
Try a 100uF electrolyte (positive to the NEN555 output.
I tried a 10µF and 100µF, but didn't notice a difference on the output.  At least not a voltage difference.  I saw Dave's post on capacitor frequency response, so I understand what you're suggesting.  For these frequencies, I guess .1µF is enough...?
A capacitor doesn't pass DC current, as you know.  But you can get momentary movement of current on the downstream side of a capacitor as it charges or discharges.  As the capacitor charges up, it accumulates a significant negative charge on one of the plates.  That negative charge repels the electrons in the other plate so they leave the capacitor, creating a momentary flow of current.  But as soon as the capacitor finishes charging, everything settles down to steady state and you have no more current flowing downstream of the cap.
Thanks!
In this case, the signal is shifted to zero because the duty cycle is 50% so the average is exactly half the peak.  If you vary the square wave's duty cycle, the average value changes, so the amount of shift will also change.
Is this essentially how a switching power supply might produce a negative voltage?

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 08:50:19 am »
Yes, a negative charge pump is a type of SMPS which can create negative voltages.

What's the impedance of the headphones? There won't be any difference at higher frequencies but at lower frequencies it should.

Offline david-IT

• Contributor
  • !
  • never stop learning
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 09:36:18 am »
555 makes me pain when i am in colleague

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 11:07:15 pm »
What's the impedance of the headphones? There won't be any difference at higher frequencies but at lower frequencies it should.
I am testing with either an 8ohm (1/4 W rated) cheap speaker or 60ohm Sennheiser HD280s.  I actually didn't check for audible differences just probing with x10 probes.  I'll take another look at the situation.

Yes, a negative charge pump is a type of SMPS which can create negative voltages.
How could I take the AC out of this 555 circuit (with -5V to 0V) and end up with a usable DC current?
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 11:28:25 pm by lawfreak »

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2016, 12:08:04 am »
How could I take the AC out of this 555 circuit (with -5V to 0V) and end up with a usable DC current?
Look in Google for 555 charge pump circuit.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2016, 11:04:26 am »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf