Author Topic: 555 triggering?  (Read 1640 times)

Offline dteckTopic starter

• Contributor
555 triggering?
« on: March 23, 2016, 07:48:29 am »
Hi everyone,

So this is probably a silly question but I've never used a 555 before so I'm hoping someone who knows better can help me. I want to make a simple 5 minute timer circuit attached to a pir motion detector (Your basic security light setup) But what I want to know is so you pull the trigger low to start the timer. What happens if you pull it low again during its countdown? does it restart the 5 minute countdown? or does it simply ignore the second trigger while the countdown is running?  :-//

Thanks in advance

Offline matseng

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Github
Re: 555 triggering?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 08:25:26 am »
Nothing happens if you re-pull the trigger low during the 5 minute window.  The output will be off after 5 minutes regardless what you do with the trigger input - you can even keep the trigger low constantly and the output will go off when the time is up anyways.

Falstad simulation here: http://goo.gl/hVhuCq

On my machine the 555 in the simulation timeout is set to about 6 seconds.... Singe click (or click and hold the "H" do the left to take if low.

Offline dteckTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 08:34:53 am »
Nothing happens if you re-pull the trigger low during the 5 minute window.  The output will be off after 5 minutes regardless what you do with the trigger input - you can even keep the trigger low constantly and the output will go off when the time is up anyways.

Falstad simulation here: http://goo.gl/hVhuCq

On my machine the 555 in the simulation timeout is set to about 6 seconds.... Singe click (or click and hold the "H" do the left to take if low.

Thank you Matseng. That was very helpful.

Offline Audioguru

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 02:44:11 pm »
Absolutely NOT. The Falstad simulator is wrong.

The datasheet says, "The trigger input must be returned high at least 10?s before the end of the timing interval." Or it will never time out.
An applications note from Philips (they bought Signetics who invented the 555) shows a coupling capacitor used to feed a negative-going pulse to the trigger pin and a pullup resistor: 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf