Author Topic: 6000 count DMM's (NOT a good $9 newbie meter..) Resolved.  (Read 13394 times)

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
Re: 6000 count DMM's (At $9 a new goto meter for newbie's?)
« Reply #50 on: July 10, 2018, 12:13:57 am »
Oh, interesting. Yours is the first time I've heard that they don't stay put.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2018, 12:35:02 am »
Oh, interesting. Yours is the first time I've heard that they don't stay put.

Probably because it’s almost embarrassing to buy a fluke product that is so overwhelmingly BAD. :)

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2018, 01:54:25 am »
Thanks for looking at that ceramic, non-filled fuse.

See Fungus, they even exist in the wild!   :-DD :-DD

Yeah, one might think a ceramic tube would have some glass in them, but .....
Hope your lightning repairs are going well.

Everything is back together and running except for the Anker USB hub that was damaged.    Nothing I could do except order a replacement. 

I  think its because the voltage rating is so low and they are not needing a safety fuse for an uncertified meter.  I tried to get Fungus to have a look inside of that cheap meter he picked up but I don't think he ever did.   At least with the free HF meters, you know there is no fuse on the high current and the worst possible fuse on the low current.   

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2018, 11:40:28 am »
There are a lot of meters that have no fuse on the Amps range, for example the uni-t 50B. The mA range is fused and the voltage input, has a PTC, GDT, diodes, a fuse , hi-speed clamps.

Well for those use a fuse holder and proper fuse in series, say 10 Amps.

If one can make knowledge flow than it will go from negative to positve , for real

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #54 on: July 12, 2018, 03:30:40 am »
I plan to run this meter at some point.  It showed up but I have not made any time to play with it yet.  If indeed the fuse is used for all of the functions, I may just jump it to run the normal tests.   Or maybe just give into the fact it will fail like any $10 meter and try to improve it.   :-//   I have not had it out of the bag but it does look very nice for $10.   

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #55 on: July 12, 2018, 03:52:03 am »
Looking forward to it, Joe. We need a smiley with some sparks flying.

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #56 on: July 12, 2018, 04:35:51 am »
I plan to run this meter at some point.  It showed up but I have not made any time to play with it yet.  If indeed the fuse is used for all of the functions, I may just jump it to run the normal tests.   Or maybe just give into the fact it will fail like any $10 meter and try to improve it.   :-//   I have not had it out of the bag but it does look very nice for $10.

All the functions seem to work without the 500 mA fuse NOT in place other then being able to test current  in the mA range. I did try both my BM235 400 mA fuse as well as swapping the same fuse from the Ragu meter which is basically the identical meter, with no temperature reading function. But since I’m getting a low inaccurate reading, I must assume that the one I received was damaged somehow and the bad fuse was just the indication. Not worth bothering to return it, as long as the rest of the functions work properly, and in all my tests on the DMMCHECK Plus tester, the readings are very accurate and within specs.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #57 on: July 12, 2018, 05:26:22 am »
This thread's multimeter, it ain't $9, this is a deal only in the USA.

I stopped shopping Amazon because of ridiculous prices, and differences in what they offer USA vs Canada.

Amazon USA $CAD 13.16 = $US 9.97  plus $9.48 Shipping and Import fees to Canada.
Amazon Canada $CAD 39.00 = $US 24.50  with free shipping.
Amazon Australia $AU 63.07 = $US 46.59  plus $15 shipping.

$49 for a USB RS-232 converter just paid $1.94 from eBay  :-DD

Offline MacMeter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #58 on: July 12, 2018, 05:45:30 am »
This thread's multimeter, it ain't $9, this is a deal only in the USA.

I stopped shopping Amazon because of ridiculous prices, and differences in what they offer USA vs Canada.

Amazon USA $CAD 13.16 = $US 9.97  plus $9.48 Shipping and Import fees to Canada.
Amazon Canada $CAD 39.00 = $US 24.50  with free shipping.
Amazon Australia $AU 63.07 = $US 46.59  plus $15 shipping.

$49 for a USB RS-232 converter just paid $1.94 from eBay  :-DD

So $20 shipped to Canada. $11.50 on EBay, did not calculate shipping, though many listings show free. Amazon Prime members get this one in two days, free delivery.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2380057.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.A0.H0.TRS1&_nkw=Meterk+Digital+Multimeter+6000+Counts+True+RMS+Auto+Range+DMM&_sacat=0
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 05:48:23 am by MacMeter »

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #59 on: July 12, 2018, 11:04:16 am »
Amazon will sell the Meterk (weird name) for about 15usd shipped to Mexico.  Why its more in Canada I dont know. 

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #60 on: July 12, 2018, 11:41:21 am »

All the functions seem to work without the 500 mA fuse NOT in place other then being able to test current  in the mA range. I did try both my BM235 400 mA fuse as well as swapping the same fuse from the Ragu meter which is basically the identical meter, with no temperature reading function. But since I’m getting a low inaccurate reading, I must assume that the one I received was damaged somehow and the bad fuse was just the indication. Not worth bothering to return it, as long as the rest of the functions work properly, and in all my tests on the DMMCHECK Plus tester, the readings are very accurate and within specs.

Normally, the free HF meters are fairly accurate. The last one I showed was off a fair amount but it's the new cheaper style with no adjustment pot.  I don't think I have ever seen a meter that was not accurate out of the box.  Sure, they may not power up...  :-DD   

Good to know about the fuse.  I am confident the meter with the single PTC and clamp with no other limiting devices will do poorly like every ANENG meter I have looked at.   This meter has a lot of room so really there was no excuse.   

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
« Reply #61 on: July 12, 2018, 12:29:26 pm »
Hey Joe, could you add a "tip-over usability comparison" between this meter and the small Aneng to your test? I recall Dave was not impressed with the AN8008 as it fell over every time his hand touched it.

Since this meter is sold under several brand names, availability shouldn't be a problem and when Dave does another episode of "How To Setup An Electronics Lab For $300", I think swapping this meter for the UT136b ($25) may be a good choice.
""
IMHO, the entry point may now be $250 with an RDtech bench supply, the newer soldering irons, signal gens and portable o-scope's. (edit: There's been much competition in 18-month's)
« Last Edit: July 12, 2018, 02:25:32 pm by Cliff Matthews »

Offline GigaJoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #62 on: July 12, 2018, 07:50:41 pm »
sell by amazon itself , or sell on the amazon  web site by someone - are different thingi
import some items in canada may include import dutes, + more expensive all in overall, (storage, electricity, workforce etc) more margin ... so yes ... it more expensive in overall ...

Offline GigaJoe

• Frequent Contributor

• Supporter
« Reply #64 on: July 12, 2018, 08:52:36 pm »
That was definitely not the "Joe" intended..  |O

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #65 on: July 12, 2018, 10:15:42 pm »
That's the first meter I have seen specifically for twisted pairs.  I doubt many people would have a use for such a meter. 

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #66 on: July 13, 2018, 09:52:37 pm »
Or more "durable"...

Check out Durable MF-110A Analog-Multimeter Voltmeter Amperemeter Ohmmeter Handh POP.DE  https://www.ebay.com/itm/Durable-MF-110A-Analog-Multimeter-Voltmeter-Amperemeter-Ohmmeter-Handh-POP-DE/183324108941?roken=cUgayN&soutkn=xwcaJa
If one can make knowledge flow than it will go from negative to positve , for real

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #67 on: July 13, 2018, 10:17:44 pm »
That's one tiny meter.  4 of these would get you the digital one being shown.   

• Supporter
« Reply #68 on: July 13, 2018, 11:22:37 pm »
The thread no longer shows something positive for newbies. Now it shows how they'll get shafted. Did you see that case?  :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #69 on: July 14, 2018, 01:11:15 am »
I saw 2k ohms per volt.

The original LoZ?

Offline malagas_on_fire

• Frequent Contributor
  • Kernel Panic
    • Malagas Lair
« Reply #70 on: July 14, 2018, 08:25:48 pm »
Thats the meter long gone... Well forget the durable.
For the new to electronics, the supposed 9 dollar using low energy, will do the Job, but what about this meter that iluminates the proper jacks to be inserted the leads and has a nice rubber case:

Mastech MS8268 Digital AC/DC Auto/Manual Range Digital Multimeter Meter Res F2Y4  :

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mastech-MS8268-Digital-AC-DC-Auto-Manual-Range-Digital-Multimeter-Meter-Res-F2Y4-/253168754668?roken=cUgayN&soutkn=Vkd75f

This way newer will get used to put the leads correctly and perhaps a better built quality product.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #71 on: July 15, 2018, 08:36:40 pm »
That's one tiny meter.

That's not a tiny meter.  THIS is a tiny meter. ;D

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #72 on: July 15, 2018, 11:15:06 pm »
Aw so cute and tiny but a 12V battery?
I got pissed off and glued a 9V battery+holder to the back side  :-DD

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
« Reply #73 on: July 16, 2018, 12:31:20 am »
That's not a tiny meter.  THIS is a tiny meter. ;D

:o ;D

Offline IanMacdonald

• Frequent Contributor
    • IWR Consultancy
« Reply #74 on: July 16, 2018, 05:33:18 am »
Problem I find with many cheap autorangers is that they produce a series of false readings before settling on the right one. Many of the false readings look believable which causes a lot of consternation and wasted time. Thus on a cheap meter I'd generally prefer manual range setting.

-How well does this one do in that respect?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf