Author Topic: 74HCT04 oscillator... is this expected?  (Read 6523 times)

Offline havardTopic starter

• Sir, you're not supposed to do that.
74HCT04 oscillator... is this expected?
« on: February 09, 2014, 02:35:50 am »
So I decided to build Grant Searle's simple 6502 machine, and started with the oscillator.  Rather than getting a clean 1.8MHz clock, I had a not-quite-square wave that was somewhere between 40 - 50MHz, depending on tongue angle, regardless of load (into a 6502's clock input) or termination (tried 100 ohm and 10k pull up and pull down).  I figured my crystal was a dud, so I dropped in a 32kHz watch crystal soldered onto some header pins and still had a 40 - 50MHz not-quite-square wave with a 32kHz modulation.  Assuming I seriously screwed up, I began pulling out components until I got to the point where there was a resistor across the input and output of two gates.  I no longer had a 40-50MHz not-quite-square wave.  I had a 75 - 100MHz sine wave.  I chalked it up to gremlins in the cheap breadboards I had at my disposal.

A few weeks go by.  After watching eevblog #568, the thought hit me... what would happen if I soldered resistors directly across the leads and held the thing in the air?  A few more weeks go by.  I finally gave it a shot tonight.  Grabbed a few 100 ohm 1206s, soldered them across the appropriate leads and sure enough, I have a 75 - 100MHz sine wave.

What is going on here?  Is this expected?  A bad 74hct04?  Or most likely, did I miss some basic fundamentals?

edit: the oscillator originally started out as the one from http://searle.hostei.com/grant/6502/Simple6502.html
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:25:43 am by havard »

Offline valentinc

• Regular Contributor
Re: 74HCT04 oscillator... is this expected?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2014, 03:17:42 am »
      Try building this: http://www.electro-tech-online.com/attachments/cmos_oscillator_761-png.7103/   instead... The topology you have used relies on the propagation delay of gates only, which vary significantly with temperature... So it's not a stable circuit... The one in this schematic relies on an external capacitors and 2 resistors... And the propagation delay doesn't count much at all...

If you want an even better one, with very sharp edges, I recommend you build one with a Schmitt trigger:
Valentin

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 03:36:55 am »
Needs HCU04.

Unless otherwise noted, all HC series chips are input and output buffered.  An HC04 is not a pair of MOSFETs, but a chain of three inverters.  This gives so much gain and phase shift in the threshold region that it cannot be stabilized with simple resistor bias.  Read up on 'ring oscillators'. ;)
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:40:47 am by T3sl4co1l »
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline havardTopic starter

• Sir, you're not supposed to do that.
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2014, 04:34:10 am »
Needs HCU04.

Unless otherwise noted, all HC series chips are input and output buffered.  An HC04 is not a pair of MOSFETs, but a chain of three inverters.  This gives so much gain and phase shift in the threshold region that it cannot be stabilized with simple resistor bias.  Read up on 'ring oscillators'. ;)

Thank you!  It all makes sense now. 

I actually read up on ring oscillation when I first stripped down the crystal circuit into what I have now, so I figured it would be something like this.  It's working as it should, just not as I would expect!  That will teach me to read and reread the datasheets, even for something as "obvious" as a hex inverter.

Offline Gabb0

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2014, 05:28:04 pm »
There is also an episode of The Signal Path Blog that explains ring oscillators and shows some measurements.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf