Offline danadak

• Super Contributor
  • Reactor Operator SSN-583, Retired EE
Re: A doubt on an emp project
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 01:03:57 pm »
EMP Definition/characteristics -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

Regards, Dana.
Love Cypress PSOC, ATTiny, Bit Slice, OpAmps, Oscilloscopes, and Analog Gurus like Pease, Miller, Widlar, Dobkin, obsessed with being an engineer

Online Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2017, 01:55:26 pm »
It's also illegal and asking how to do it, might be against the forum rules. I will ask a moderator.

Offline Belrmar

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2017, 03:39:52 pm »
every discharge trough a coil creates a emp, but depending on the topology of the inductor it will have different characteristics.

also...Why the hell you want to build something that can damage electronics  :-//

Offline pranavTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2017, 03:47:03 pm »
It's purely for educational purposes
It's too powerless... I had to place the electronics on the coil to see full effect

It's also bulky...

Sent from my Lenovo S850 using Tapatalk

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 12:21:04 am »
It's also illegal and asking how to do it, might be against the forum rules. I will ask a moderator.

We try not to assume bad intentions here.
For example, modifying a Casio watch to trigger a relay is commonly used to trigger a terrorist explosions. On the other hand, someone may have a legitimate use to trigger explosives because they have an explosive license and want to do it for some legit reason. Or they simply want to turn on their pool pump or something.

Offline T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 01:16:16 am »
The "EMP generator" things I've seen floating around are mere toys.

The impulse isn't anywhere near useful, whether for testing purposes (it won't conform to any particular standard) or for destructive purposes (it's weak, slow and short range).

And if you're that close to a device, you can damage it much faster with a hammer...

So, I would suggest directing consideration towards commercially useful transient generators (that are often destructive, as intended!).

That said, it's hard to beat sparks.  A high voltage power supply buzzing into a spark gap is quite effective.  ESD is very destructive, having a risetime of nanoseconds and a peak current in the tens of amperes.  A good commercial design would start with a HV supply (adjustable, since ESD is tested at various starting voltages, for various purposes), charging a capacitor through a large resistor, and discharging the capacitor through an RLC network that delivers a characteristic waveform (it's not just a resistor, by the way, despite what the equivalent diagrams show -- that would be preposterous, as the waveform has a double-peak sort of waveform, not a simple RC discharge).

For higher energy tests, there's lightning induced surge.  This is usually a modest size film capacitor (say 20uF) charged up, then dumped into an RLC network which is coupled to the load.  Charged to several kV, that's a fair slug of energy, and it's delivered in mere microseconds!

There are also ringing and RF-burst tests, for various applications (mil-spec bringing some of the more unusual ones).  The generators may be similar to the above examples, but with different RLC networks to shape the waveform, and different charging and switching circuits to achieve the required pulse rate.

RF-burst systems have the most promise for directed energy applications, as microwaves (for example) are easily manipulated with compact antennas, waveguides, reflectors and so on.  Pulsing a commercial oven magnetron gets you a fairly clean 2.45GHz (at least a few thousand cycles worth, say, if you do a few-microsecond tone burst like old school radar sets used).  Clean isn't necessarily what you want; wideband chirps, wavelets and impulses have more use, as they aren't dependent on the EUT having a lucky susceptibility or immunity (depending on which side you're working from :) ) at some particular frequency.

These are much more difficult to generate though, and may run into concerns about import-export law(!).
 The simplest wideband impulse generator would probably be a spark gap inside a ridged horn or biconical antenna.  Indeed, air sparks are amazingly high bandwidth -- In the late 1800s, J. C. Bose researched frequencies up to 60GHz using mere spark gap sources!

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2017, 05:21:28 am »

We try not to assume bad intentions here.
For example, modifying a Casio watch to trigger a relay is commonly used to trigger a terrorist explosions. On the other hand, someone may have a legitimate use to trigger explosives because they have an explosive license and want to do it for some legit reason. Or they simply want to turn on their pool pump or something.
Thanks.. Actually I want to test resistance towards these types of burst of various appliances

Sent from my Lenovo S850 using Tapatalk

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2017, 12:32:33 pm »
I want to make sure IT IS AN EMP.

How to make sure that it is EMP :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf