Author Topic: a doubt with the oscilloscope probes  (Read 986 times)

Offline Adrian_Arg.Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
a doubt with the oscilloscope probes
« on: May 13, 2018, 04:08:40 pm »
a doubt with the oscilloscope probes, if set X1, and for example 12 volts is applied, to oscilloscope 12 volt arrives, until everything is correct, but if you set them X10, it does not reach 1.2 volts in the rigol ds1054z that Example use I get 6.2volts, then does not attenuate X10, but attenuates by X2?

in spanish
una duda con las sondas de osciloscopio, si se las setea X1, y por ejemplo se aplica 12 volts, a osciloscopio llegan 12 volt, hasta todo es correcto, pero si las seteo X10, no llega 1,2 volts en el rigol ds1054z que uso de ejemplo me llega 6,2volts, entonces no atenua X10, sino que atenua  por X2?

Offline Dave

• Super Contributor
  • I like to measure things.
Re: a doubt with the oscilloscope probes
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 05:16:47 pm »
Are you using an oscilloscope to measure what 'arrives', or are you using a multimeter that you poke into the BNC end of the probe?
When you switch your probe over to x10, what you're doing is adding a 9M resistor in series. If the device you're measuring the voltage with doesn't have 1M input impedance, you're not going to get 1/10 on the output.

The reason I'm guessing you're measuring with a multimeter is that their input impedance is usually 10M, so adding 9M in series would give you 10/19 of the input voltage, or 6.3V with a 12V input.
<fellbuendel> it's arduino, you're not supposed to know anything about what you're doing
<fellbuendel> if you knew, you wouldn't be using it

Offline Adrian_Arg.Topic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: a doubt with the oscilloscope probes
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 06:54:48 pm »
ok

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf