Author Topic: A few DS1102E questions  (Read 2543 times)

Offline spinnakerTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
A few DS1102E questions
« on: November 08, 2012, 02:50:15 am »
I just picked up a Rigol DS1102E.  The deal from Saelig was assume and I couldn't resist.

I bought it partly to the reviews on this site.

This is my first digital scope.  I have a few questions.

1. I can't seem to get UltraScope working. When I go to refresh the wave form screen, I get "Connect oscilloscope first!". The scope is connected to USB and I can see it as a camera device in Windows 7. Anyone know if the DS1102E is supported by Ultrscope?

2. Speaking of the camera device. What is it's purpose? I can't seem to see any files when I save a wave file. I would think a useful purpose would be use it to transfer files to the PC and avoid having to use a thumb drive.

3. I get these artifacts at the top and bottoms of all of the waves. Kind of looks like noise.  Is this normal? Not sure if it can be seen here:

• Regular Contributor
Re: A few DS1102E questions
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2012, 03:39:55 am »
Just as an update.

I installed the NI Measurement and Automation Explorer and I can see my scope listed.   I can read the serial number and model number so I assume I have everything setup right on the scope.

Offline poodyp

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2012, 09:06:08 am »
In ultrascope in the toolbar, the 4th icon is connect to scope, that should solve that. I believe the artifacts are just aliasing on the small screen.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2012, 01:51:07 pm »
In ultrascope in the toolbar, the 4th icon is connect to scope, that should solve that. I believe the artifacts are just aliasing on the small screen.

Thanks but I tried that.  I get "Can't connect to device".

How do you pick if you want to connect USB or RS232?     

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2012, 02:57:21 am »
Works fine under XP but not Windows 7.  Anyone else having this issue?

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2012, 11:33:04 am »
I seem to remember there were a few hoops to jump though to get the NI driver working
However that was a year or so ago.

Honestly, i've never used the ultrascope software except once when i got the scope just to try it out.
It's probably not worth worrying about.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2012, 02:04:34 pm »
I seem to remember there were a few hoops to jump though to get the NI driver working
However that was a year or so ago.

Honestly, i've never used the ultrascope software except once when i got the scope just to try it out.
It's probably not worth worrying about.

I saw those "hoops" and  tried jumping through all of them but none worked.

Rigol has a pdf document on their site addressing this issue but it does not load into Acrobat Reader.  In fact none of the PDFs I tried work.

How long has Windows 7 been out???   You would think this would have been fixed by now.  I can see issues with Windows 8 but 7?

It would be nice to  be able to export images, without going through the thumb drive.  Besides the image produced on the thumb is very small.  The images saved by ultrascope  are much better.

I might try giving Rigol a call today.

If that fails, I'll just pickup a straight through RS232 cable.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2012, 04:09:03 pm »
I called Rigol NA on this issue and the guy I talked to was clueless.  What a shame to have such poor support for such a great scope.

I did find that the issue with the PDFs on their site is with FireFox.   They only seem to work in IE.  Bad practice IMHO.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf