Author Topic: A little guidance please!  (Read 4900 times)

Offline njkmontyTopic starter

• Contributor
A little guidance please!
« on: July 31, 2015, 11:31:32 am »
I currently have a vichy 99 Multimeter.

After a few videos on eevblog, I had the realisation my equipment was not what i thought it was.
I have a couple of questions i was hoping a  member could assist with!

Im considering buying another "Quality" Dmm,
mainly for electronics etc/bench,
but I make guitar amps from time to time, and would like a  Dmm with good fuses etc. and handle 240v wall outlet stuff
Ive stumbled across the  Fluke 87-v , which after watching videos that it may be what I need.

I'm after a great continuity tester
accurate ohm tester  preferably able to go down  below 100 ohms   
milliamps and mill volts.etc

but im also after a good capacitance meter.
and if I've read the specs correctly, I am not sure if 87-v can do picofareds very well?

so now looking into a capacitor meter Ive stumbled onto Lcr meters / ers meters / ebay duild your own cap thingys!!!

i basically after a very accurate cap reader with alligator probes and panel slots to insert caps into.

i would like to measure old caps in amps to see if they need replacing, etc ,

what should i be looking at?
i don't mind spending good money on a quality tool, but I guess my needs don't require  a lot of functions

can someone assist?

Offline LA7SJA

• Regular Contributor
  • Acting user manual reader & forum search engine
Re: A little guidance please!
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 02:57:51 pm »
If you realy need a new DMM and you can pay for a Fluke 87V do it! I been doing EE stuff for 37 years and I can't remeber last time I needed to messure pF. I have never had a pF cap gone bad without visual damage or a full short, the only time I use the cap messurement is on AC motor capacitors in uF range after a leeak test with the isolation tester. The Fluke should cover most if not all of your messurment needs for a wery long time. I still use my 1978 Fluke 8020A and I only use 87V when I need more than one meter or to messure low voltage AC. You just can't go wrong with the Fluke 87V! I love Fluke instruments I have 2 x 87V, 8020A, 79III, 8060A, Scopemeter 105B, 287, a 115 in the car and a 113 on the motorcycle. If I need more precission the Keyshitt 34461A get powered up and I take a long break before messuring.

Johan-Fredrik
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you"

Offline max666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 09:00:59 pm »
i would like to measure old caps in amps to see if they need replacing, etc ,

I don't think a simple capacitance measurement will help you determine if they need replacing. So if that is important to you, I think you'll have to get a separate LCR meter that can do ESR as well.

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 01:33:03 am »
OK , so i will go a Fluke 87-v

can you steer me in a direction on lcr meters with esr?

I came across this thread

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/$20-lcr-esr-transistor-checker-project/

I was hoping someone here would know the best way to go?

Offline LA7SJA

• Regular Contributor
  • Acting user manual reader & forum search engine
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 04:24:07 am »
Why not get to know your new 87V instrument while you build up one of the many ESR constructions you can find online. Here is a small list from the forum:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/5-transistor-esr-meter-design/ This one need a 50uA meter and some transistors, resistors and a box.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/esr-meter-adapter-design-and-construction/ This construction will "upgrade" your new 87V to even do ESR.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/projects/impedance-lcr-esr-meters/ if you are into the more teoritical aspect.

And finaly the page that Answers the Ultimate Question of ESR, the Universe and Everything http://kripton2035.free.fr/esr-repository.html If you are interested in commercial kits you will find them at bottom of the page.

A nudge in the right direction, I hope?

Johan-Fredrik
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 06:51:29 am by LA7SJA »
"If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is probably not for you"

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 06:47:56 am »
cheers!

Online Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 07:22:59 am »
Fluke has a very good reputation, for quality and reliability. It is well deserved. Fluke does not have the best reputation for functions for the buck. Of course there are varying degrees of what people consider better value. Going  on the advice of one single person on what multimeter to buy seems a little bit silly, IMHO. You should consider others IMHO.

Brymen BM869s (and other models)
Greenlee DM860a (and other models)
Keysight U1272A
Keysight U1253B
Amprobe AM160

and some others.

The Fluke 87V is a really good meter, but limited in functions. The ones I have mentioned have  more functions, higher accuracy, lower prices, and other features. Consider this before jumping on one person's recommendation. Not everyone places the same value on a brand name just because it is that brand name. Some people consider value and don't follow blind fashion.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2015, 04:46:36 pm by Lightages »

Offline max666

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 07:44:07 am »
Wow, I just checked pricing for the Fluke 87-v. If your fine with that, then I would suggest get a DER EE DE-5000 alongside and be done. Dave did a video on it.

DER EE DE-5000 High Accuracy Handheld LCR Meter with TL-21 TL-22 (just make sure to get at least the TL-21 Alligator Test Lead Case with it)

Offline kripton2035

• Super Contributor
    • kripton2035 schematics repository
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 07:52:57 am »
lots of esr schematics (I did not say all but lot of ...) on my web repository
link in my signature.
best regards,

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 08:56:09 am »
I was  a few weeks ago leaning towards Brymen BM869s. After watching some reviews
But thought I would take the safe road
Is the brymen a good alternative  ?

Online Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 04:45:01 pm »
I became a distributor in Chile for Brymen after buying and sing three of their meters first. That is how much I liked them. They are a very good alternative to the major players. Brymen is the manufacturer for some Amprobe models, Greenlee, Extech MM series, and a few others.

Just do a search on the subject of Brymen and you will see some heated discussions. You will also see that many people love their Brymens. Some have accused me of being biased because I am a distributor. I can assure you that this is not the case because like I said I decided to become a distributor after being a customer /user. I advocate for their brand with more vigor since becoming a distributor but I do not make any assertions that I can't back up with facts.

Fluke is the most respected brand, and for reason. Brymen does not have the same history and so cannot have the same loyalty base, but the products they sell have much to recommend them as a great alternative.

Online Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 04:57:43 pm »
I also agree that if you have the money, a good multimeter and the DER EE DE-5000 is a great combination to have. Actually many people, including myself, say that having at least two good multimeter is a must for electronics. This is so you can measure voltage and current at the same time for example, or input vs output. The ideal situation is to have four multimeters and the DER EE DE-5000. This way you can measure input voltage and current vs output voltage and current and have the LCR meter for ESR measurements and passive component testing. But this is the ideal and most people don't want to send that much right off.

My personal recommendation is to get a Brymen BM829s, a BM257s, and the DER EE DE-5000 kit, and you have all of those for basically the same price as a Fluke 87V. The Brymens have the option of PC connection kits too.

• Contributor
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2015, 11:47:28 pm »
i want a really good continuity tester aswell,
when looking at the multimeter comparison spreadsheets Im assuming " Cnt"  is for continuity?

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/multimeter-spreadsheet/

all i could see is 'A"  which was mainly Gossen
A few Yellow "L"'s
and a some green "L"

is that L for Latching?

Brymen has  an x on all their models,
am I reading that correctly?
because my current vc99 is shithouse in that department.

this feature may be a tipping point

I dont need any pc connectivity,
also i would like to measure low pf caps accurately, the DER EE DE-5000 capable of that?

Online Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 12:51:38 am »
There are people who will insist that a latching continuity tester is an imperative and anything else is junk. Many of the same people insist that anyone who doesn't agree is an idiot. I for one prefer a non-latching continuity tester. There was even one person who related a story where his latching continuity tester missed an intermittent problem where his non-latching meter found the problem. He was dismissed as being wrong and his data should and empirical experience should be ignored in favor of the person's opinion.

The most important thing is that the continuity tester should be as fast as possible. It should not have a delay. The Brymens do not have any delay and are non-latching. IMHO, before I started selling Brymens and after, the Brymen continuity tester is fast and reliable. If you insist that a continuity tester be a latching type and it will drive you crazy it it is not a latching type, then don't buy a Brymen. There are many multimeters that have latching type continuity but you have to wait half a second for a result. The continuity of the 87V is fast and latching. IMHO this is your choice and is a matter of preference. I will be called an idiot for this opinion.

• Contributor
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 12:55:10 am »
that clear things up!
I guess yes i want a fast one! unlike the v99 Vichey!
i couldnt see the Brymen BM829s, a BM257s  in the spreadsheet either
are they are new model?

Online Lightages

• Supporter
  • Canadian po
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 01:11:13 am »
Wytnucls' spreadsheet is for a minimum display and count. Those meters are therefore not in his spreadsheet. You most know that his spreadsheet is made to his preferences and any "rating" is his opinion. He has even pointed this out himself. That is not to say that the majority of his classifications and ratings are not those of the majority of experienced people, but they are his biases. I am not saying that his spreadsheet is not useful. On the contrary it is a great resource and a body of work which I appreciate very much.

Just because you do not see a multimeter on that spreadsheet it is not any indication that it is not a good meter nor one that Wytnucls does not like. He merely had a cutoff of the number of counts/digits for the multimeter that he wanted to chart.

You really need to look for reviews for the Brymens, here on the forums, on Dave's channel, mjlorton's, and other places. Also look at Agilent reviews (now Keysight), Amprobe AM-270, AM-140, AM-160, Extech MM560, Extech MM570. If you want to spend less, look at the Uni-T UT139C and the Amprobe AM-5X0 series.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2015, 01:21:27 am by Lightages »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf