Author Topic: A networking solution for two PCs, or a quicker way to transfer files between?  (Read 12928 times)

Offline Lizzie_Jo_Computers_11Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
Firstly, I apologize for having been gone from this conversation for the last two weeks. My work has been non-stop, and I had no time to continue researching the things that everyone was posting, so I couldn't make a worthwhile reply to any of it. I am still dedicated to this topic and the builds I am working on, and of course the people who are helping me figure everything out. Thank you again! ;- )

I am going to watch that video comparison later, and I'm currently researching whatever I can find on a ZFS configuration, and what that is like. If it really is a good alternative, I would like someone here to delve on it further, and why it might be better vs a so and so, etc.?

As a side note, the files that I will be transferring, I imagine will exceed my current load of 30GB a file (full 4K footage could make it even higher), which will also be the same data amounts that will be accessed between the computers while working on a project.

Thank you again, I will be back on later, now that I have somewhat less of a workload.

Offline Lizzie_Jo_Computers_11Topic starter

• Regular Contributor
After researching the ZFS configuration I immediately ran into an obvious problem I should've realized when it was brought up. I will be running Windows on these two systems, and ZFS is not compatible.

I looked into workarounds, but the need to run the raid through a virtual OS and then this and that is just going to make things even slower or unstable, and I don't see where I would get a benefit in that?

I have no current plans on running a Linux system, so I will need to stick to NTFS and other Windows FS to get this working. I could still use a high quality crossover cable and a network switch off to a separate storage from one of the computers, but I still want to look into the best possible solution overall. Would the accessing of the rendering computer to the storage being a part of the editing computer cause any drawbacks for the editing computer while the rendering computer is still rendering?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf