Author Topic: A question of gain notation.  (Read 853 times)

Offline AethelstanTopic starter

• Contributor
A question of gain notation.
« on: February 10, 2018, 04:08:34 pm »
Hello, up front I must state this question does relate to an assignment I am working on. I am converting gain for op amps between arithmetical and dB, and I understand the maths but I am a little confused regarding the actual notation for the two scales. If I have a gain of 20dB, is that simply G=20dB, or do I use the unit for power gain of GP? If I use that, do I use the notation of GV for arithmetical gain? Or, should I simply use G and the unit of dB or unit-less V/V signifies which type of gain I am talking about?

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
Re: A question of gain notation.
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2018, 04:39:09 pm »
In my experience there are no robust conventions for this.  It would save some trouble if there were.  In documentation I generate I explicitly define the notation I use.  In documentation I am reading I am very cautious about assuming usage, and often have to run a series of calculations to figure out the authors usage.

If your professor has not expressed a strong preference just document what you do.  (Run through some test cases to make sure you are self consistent.)

The following users thanked this post: Aethelstan

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2018, 04:48:07 pm »
I would use "gain of 10" or "gain of 20dB". If I thought it might be ambiguous or might clarify a point, I might use "voltage gain of 10" or "gain of 10V/V".
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2018, 04:58:34 pm »
I've always used AV for voltage gain and just A for power gain.

In any case, it should be fairly obvious whether voltage or power is being discussed, by the context.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf