Author Topic: A transistor gives a higher voltage than its source?  (Read 5748 times)

Offline jimjamTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
A transistor gives a higher voltage than its source?
« on: June 14, 2014, 06:17:23 pm »
The input voltage is 12.24V connected to the emitter
When I measured the voltage at the Base (yes it's floating), it reads 13.24V. How come?

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
Re: A transistor gives a higher voltage than its source?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2014, 06:44:16 pm »
i think you should buy a new voltmeter :D that's not possible with the given circuit ;)

Online Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 06:49:49 pm »
The input voltage is 12.24V connected to the emitter
When I measured the voltage at the Base (yes it's floating), it reads 13.24V. How come?

JimJam, that happens to be at times and it is often because I forgot to ground it properly.

I would have one part of the circuit on a breadboard and the other part on a prototype (soldered) board and the connection ground wire got unplugged between the two.

Second common (common to me) source is depending on length of connections, the wire could also pick up some AC noise.    If possible, put a 1Meg between your measuring points to do a sanity check.  That tiny load would make the noise disappear (in proportion to the 10volt-ish you are measuring.)

Offline mzacharias

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2014, 06:56:12 pm »
Don't rule out oscillation...

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2014, 07:18:21 pm »
i think you should buy a new voltmeter :D that's not possible with the given circuit ;)
Good point there. I thought it shouldn't be possible either.

Here's some more information:
The power came from a wall wart 12V 2A adapter (switching power supply?)
I set this up on a breadboard
The multimeter is Fluke 87V and I have no reason to believe that it's malfunctioning.

What's more bizarre...

if I disconnected the positive from the breadboard, so that only the negative from the wallwart is connected to the breadboard, things get more interesting. In theory, I should not read any voltage on the circuit. Indeed when I measured either side of the resistor, it reads as 0V.

However, the base reads 5.7V and Emitter 3.4V

This is with the + from the wall wart supply disconnected from the breadboard. Only one wire - the negative, goes to the breadboard.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 07:20:21 pm by jimjam »

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 07:20:43 pm »
Don't rule out oscillation...

reverse biased C-E with enough capacitance would oscillate, but the circuit above.....

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 07:25:26 pm »
Good point there. I thought it shouldn't be possible either.

Here's some more information:
The power came from a wall wart 12V 2A adapter (switching power supply?)
I set this up on a breadboard
The multimeter is Fluke 87V and I have no reason to believe that it's malfunctioning.

What's more bizarre...

if I disconnected the positive from the breadboard, so that only the negative from the wallwart is connected to the breadboard, things get more interesting. In theory, I should not read any voltage on the circuit. Indeed when I measured either side of the resistor, it reads as 0V.

However, the base reads 5.7V and Emitter 3.4V

This is with the + from the wall wart supply disconnected from the breadboard. Only one wire - the negative, goes to the breadboard.

If you have acceess to an sciloscope, then ccheck with scope. Must be some kind of RF noise. Probably the smps adapter  gone crazy ?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 07:29:28 pm »
I tried another wall wart adapter - different brand. 12V 2A also. Similar results. The base voltage reads about 1V higher than the supply voltage.

No I don't have a scope - I wish I did.

Offline rob77

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 07:38:42 pm »
I tried another wall wart adapter - different brand. 12V 2A also. Similar results. The base voltage reads about 1V higher than the supply voltage.

No I don't have a scope - I wish I did.

Are you sure the circuit is exactly as the schematic you posted ? Isn't the C-E swapped ? as i mentioned above - a reverse biased C-E with a floating base is a nice oscillator - probably the breadboard's capacitance is enough to oscillate.

Offline Andy Watson

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 07:40:19 pm »
If the output of the wall wart is not grounded there will be significant AC leakage present. Measuring the supply is a low source impedance - you read the supply voltage. Measuring the floating base you have one lead that has capacitance to ground and is being charged from the AC leakage by the rectifying action of the emitter-base junction.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 07:46:21 pm »
OK I tried a third adapter. The "12V" reads 16.64V
The base voltage is 15.56V - at least this time it's lower.

The transistor is 2N3906. When looking at it onto the flat part of the transistor, I am assuming it's EBC from left to right, which corresponds to all the datasheets I can find, e.g.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 07:50:07 pm »
If the output of the wall wart is not grounded there will be significant AC leakage present. Measuring the supply is a low source impedance - you read the supply voltage. Measuring the floating base you have one lead that has capacitance to ground and is being charged from the AC leakage by the rectifying action of the emitter-base junction.
This seems to be the most plausible explanation... although I still don't fully understand where this capacitance exists... is it inside the meter? Should it be there?

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2014, 08:01:12 pm »
There's a small cap (class Y) between the primary and secondary side of the SMPS wall wart to reduce RF emission.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf