Author Topic: AC electrical leakage from Surface Pro 3!  (Read 10519 times)

Offline dentaku

• Frequent Contributor
Re: AC electrical leakage from Surface Pro 3!
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2014, 02:44:37 pm »
Yes it's interesting that he has not come back and only made the one post since registering. Mind you I think whatever the intent "it" failed.

Maybe the original poster just wanted to see who would be the first stuck in the 90's person to type M$ instead of MS.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2014, 07:14:19 pm »
Oh sorry was this topic about a microsoft product ?

Now under the threat of open source software i guess prices have dropped a bit and at last they "had" their act together with windows 7 but they seem to have lost it in traditional M$ style with windows 8 err 8.1 as 8 was uncontrollable.......

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2014, 07:51:02 pm »
MS alternates releases with what the public want and what they want, so in this case a wait for Windows 9.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline dentaku

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: September 06, 2014, 09:25:55 pm »
Oh sorry was this topic about a microsoft product ?

Now under the threat of open source software i guess prices have dropped a bit and at last they "had" their act together with windows 7 but they seem to have lost it in traditional M$ style with windows 8 err 8.1 as 8 was uncontrollable.......

Looking back it looks the original poster is the first person to write M$ so I guess Alphas is the one suck in the 90's :)
MS has changed allot in the last few years and the Surface Pro 3 is the first tablet I can say I would actually like to buy.

I wonder just how conductive the magnesium shell is?

Offline AlphasTopic starter

« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2014, 05:34:50 pm »
Yes the power brick on Surface pro 3 is a 2 pins plug, even my old fujitsu laptop adapter has it earthed. I can get a shock just by touching the mag alloy case on the Surface pro 3.

The voltage reads over 110V, I certainly dont feel good having such high voltage in my body.

Offline Rufus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2014, 05:41:35 pm »
The voltage reads over 110V, I certainly dont feel good having such high voltage in my body.
How bad do you feel wearing nylon socks which can generate thousands of volts in your body?

Offline denelec

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2014, 11:17:57 pm »
110V can be lethal or harmless.  So does 1000V.  But you'd have to be very unlucky to hurt yourself with 10V.
It depends on the intensity of the current that goes trough your body. And also the duration.
If the impedance of the source limits the current below 1mA, you won't feel much.
If it limits the current below 10mA, you won't be in danger.
http://www.hubbellpowersystems.com/literature/encyclopedia-grounding/pdfs/07-0801-02.pdf

With only a voltmeter you can't determine if the 110V you measured is safe.  You must measure the maximum current this 110V can generate.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf