Author Topic: AC Fan Control using Arduino  (Read 10970 times)

Offline yashrkTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
  • A MAKER, AN ENGINEER, A HOBBYIST FOR LIFE
    • My Personal Blog
AC Fan Control using Arduino
« on: October 15, 2014, 02:26:30 pm »
Hey Guys,
                 I am trying to control my rooms lights, fans by using arduino, its easy to control lights with it by using relays but I am getting problem in controlling my fan speed, specifically how can I replace my regulator with digital circuit.
                Certainly I want circuit to be safe as I am playing with mains (220V)  :-DMM and rest assured after it is completed it will be installed by a professional.
                 I also want to know if there any more precaution I should be taking in designing the circuit or choosing parts (RELAYS).

Thank you for your replies  :-+ ,
YashRK.
Find me and things I'm working on - https://www.yashkudale.com/

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
Re: AC Fan Control using Arduino
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 02:49:23 pm »
We cannot begin to try to help you when we know absolutely nothing about your fan or the controller.
If you want any practical help, you will need to reveal some relevant details.

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 02:51:24 pm »
Probably a fase controlled triac regulator.

Offline Nickk2057

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 06:05:40 pm »
best way to say on this is a solid state relay.
just keep believing in yourself.. you can do some remarkable things in your life when you break through the ice and make things happen with the stuff you make

Offline Udayan Sinha

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2014, 05:04:28 am »
Use a triac. It's popular for AC load control using a low-powered DC source (like an Arduino). There are loads of tutorials online by people on fan speed control or light-dimming applications using an Arduino for you to refer. Nearly all of them involve a triac.

Offline paul18fr

• Contributor
  • Hobbyist & beginner
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2014, 06:11:07 am »

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2014, 01:45:39 pm »
Many have tried this and it works to some success because of the inertial aspects of the fan.  It doesn't work well at all with a lamp.  the 50 or 60 Hz will beat with the 490 Hz of the PWM. Those results will be even different if you use a zero cross SSRY or a random turn on type.  In any case it won't be linear with PWM.  With things like heaters and motors order does emerge out of chaos over time.  If you look with the Arduino for a zero cross and then control a timed pulse to a SSRY that has random turn on a phase control can be made.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2014, 01:59:00 pm »
We are all just shooting in the dark here. We know nothing about what size fan (current draw) yashrk is talking about.  Or what kind of motor, etc.
And we also know nothing about what "control" means here.  Does it mean on/off?  Does it mean switching different windings on the motor?  Does it mean full range control?  Is it manual?  It is automatic (temperature or humidity controlled, etc.)  We don't have the first clue.  And it seems apparent that yashrk doesn't understand what is important, either.

Until yashrk returns to hold up his end of the conversation, we are probably wasting our time here.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2014, 09:48:51 pm by Richard Crowley »

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 05:27:04 pm »
I am so sorry I couldn't reply to you guys my net was down, it's a normal ceiling fan works on AC, it will consume 1-2 ampere max. I want to  control it's speed with arduino, it doesn't much matter if I get full scale control over the speed or traditional 5 stop control.
    The solid state relay idea looks good but it will be expensive. I am looking for a circuit which is bit cheaper and safe.

Cheers guys,
YashRK.

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 06:11:14 pm »
Without getting complicated, just turn an output on for a time period of 100 to 1000 milliseconds and then turn it off for the remaining time  of that 1000ms.  It can be turned off totally but I don't think  you would want to turn it on for a period less than 100ms.  Any SSRY of 5A or more generally has an isolated input that will accept 5V for only a few bucks.

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 07:52:19 am »
So you are asking me to use solid state relay is there any other circuit

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 09:28:38 am »

Certainly I want circuit to be safe as I am playing with mains (220V)  :-DMM and rest assured after it is completed it will be installed by a professional.

Any professional worth his salt will want to know it's safe or they won't install it.

Why do you want to use an arduino ? there may be simpler methods, not everything needs a microcontroller you know.

Offline Rerouter

• Super Contributor
  • Question Everything... Except This Statement
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 09:54:52 am »
For a dc input and ac switching with variable time, i would use an opto-coupler to give the arduino feedback on the zero crossings, and an opto-triac triggering a proper power triac to switch the power,

this way you can regulate to a % of the waveform, your entire circuit is isolated from the mains, and you dont have to worry about the maximum amount of cycles that a relay will live through (for fan speed control you would be looking at days to weeks max lifetime)

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 11:06:44 am »
Yes appropriate ANALOG circuitry can create a pulse at every zero cropping to trigger an interrupt in the arduino and generate a pulse of the length you want from 0-10ms. very clunky but if you must.

• Frequent Contributor
    • My Personal Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 11:20:57 am »
Thank you guys

Simon -  I will be controlling many other relays and I'm also thinking of adding multiple sensor and also remote control so I will be need a micro controller

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 11:46:55 am »
Then the method i suggested might not work as the delay will eat into your processing time , you could do it off the "system clock" or devolved the pulse control to analog circuitry under the control of the uC's PWM output.

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 12:44:40 pm »
Remember that we are dealing with a product that ALREADY implements speed control.  How does the EXISTING speed control work?  Cobbling up some different method of speed control seems like a poor substitute for simply duplicating the already-designed method of speed control. 

Offline Jeroen3

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded Engineer
    • jeroen3.nl
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 01:25:58 pm »
Most cheap desk and ceiling fans use one or two resistors and a multi-pole switch.
All you'd need are a few relays.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2014, 07:00:17 am »
bit wasteful ;)

Offline SL4P

• Super Contributor
  • There's more value if you figure it out yourself!
« Reply #19 on: October 21, 2014, 07:38:51 am »
Remember that we are dealing with a product that ALREADY implements speed control.  How does the EXISTING speed control work?  Cobbling up some different method of speed control seems like a poor substitute for simply duplicating the already-designed method of speed control.
Yep.  I've saw your earlier post, and this is not going to end well if he follows the 'current' path...   Multiple relays, mains power, PWM on AC - and a newbie to boot.
I susect it is a standard 'switched windings' control box (cheapie), and assuming he wants to go across that - he has to implement an interlock so that switch + relays doesn't equal tears.  I can see the hot-glue and duct tape already.

OP: Please don't invite me over to visit.  Just send photos as soon as you can before the hospital stay.
Don't ask a question if you aren't willing to listen to the answer.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf