Author Topic: AC/DC adapter - any thoughts about safety  (Read 1740 times)

Offline LagittajaTopic starter

AC/DC adapter - any thoughts about safety
« on: November 01, 2016, 02:40:11 pm »
Hey everyone, I figured EEVblog forum would probably be one of the best places to ask.

I need to replace a 12V1.5A power adapter of a "massage pillow" and I'm on a relatively low budget  :-\
So I purchased this, quite cheap, AC/DC power adapter.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/311691321651?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649&var=610598135566

I decided to take a look inside and took a bunch of pictures from the inside.
I'm wondering if you professional EE's think it's innards look "safe enough" to actually use it?
No clue what the snipped off V+ V- and L N on the left side of the PCB are/were.
https://goo.gl/photos/13CwrRjHzUma2BhT8?
Sorry if the pictures are a little bit grainy, if they are not good enough I can go and take new ones in better lighting.
(Edit: Took half a dozen better images, they're in the same album now)

Looks like the IC is a THX203H
http://monitor.espec.ws/files/thx203h_________115.pdf

Edit2: I'm sorry if this isn't the correct subforum for a thread like this, as I'm a beginner I thought the "Beginners" subforum would be OK for something like this.
Though now I noticed there's a subforum (Other equipment & Products) which specifically mentions teardowns. If that was a better place to post this, sorry again and moderator, can you move this if you think it's a more appropriate subforum)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 03:00:33 pm by Lagittaja »

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
Re: AC/DC adapter - any thoughts about safety
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2016, 02:50:00 pm »
That's a salvaged board of seemingly reasonable quality, shoved in a new case, with wires attached wherever was convenient.

The following users thanked this post: Lagittaja

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2016, 02:59:05 pm »
Thank you for your reply Monkeh, reasonable quality sounds good enough to me :D
I won't of course be leaving it plugged in unless it's being used.

Offline Ysjoelfir

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2016, 03:00:55 pm »
Judging just from the photos looking at the creepage distance it looks quite ok. But keep in mind that nobody can say anything about the quality of the used transformer and other components. The cut off wires are, as monkeh already mentioned, signs of the pcb being salvaged from something and repurposed in this wall wart power supply. They were just the connections for the mains input and the original DC voltage output.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2016, 03:50:36 pm by Ysjoelfir »
Greetings, Kai \ Ysjoelfir

The following users thanked this post: Lagittaja

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2016, 03:13:32 pm »
Thank you to you as well Ysjoelfir, I understand that nobody can say anything about the quality of the components. I guess I was just mainly concerned/curious about the overall "quality" (how it looks) or safety of the design itself. Who knows how bad or good the output of it is without actually testing it but considering it's just powering two motors and an infrared heater I'm not that hugely concerned about it. And the product it's going to power is already in the neighbourhood of 7 or 8 years old, if I get a little teeny bit more life out of it with this power supply I'm happy :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf