Author Topic: Adding a power stage to a signal generator  (Read 5179 times)

Offline ZeroResistanceTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Adding a power stage to a signal generator
« on: November 08, 2016, 01:29:49 pm »
I have a sine wave generator 1Hz - 1MHz frequency range and also has a amplitude knob however its output current is low probably a few 10's of mA. In some cases I need a stronger drive maybe upto 1Amp.

I am looking at something simple probably a few transistors (discrete way) or a single chip solution (I would have to wait longer for this since the chip would have to be ordered). If the 1Hz to 1Mhz is too complex a drive stage I can settle for 1Hz to 20Khz for the moment it would be fine.

Is an audio output amp the way to go? Any other suggestions?

TIA

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
Re: Adding a power stage to a signal generator
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2016, 01:40:04 pm »
An audio amp is the right idea, at least for the lower frequencies.

For the high frequencies (e.g. > 200 kHz) one may need to add something like an output resistor, as is get hard to impossible to make an amplifier with zero output impedance for these higher frequencies that is tolerating variable external loads. Even audio amplifiers and similar circuits have a noticeable ouput impedance at higher frequencies - quite often this is inductive like some 10 µH. YOu might need to add some more to make the amplifier more tolerant to capacitive loads.

The normal output impedance is 50 Ohms as this matches the normal coax cables. A lower value (like 10 Ohms) might be possible.

The following users thanked this post: ZeroResistance

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2016, 02:03:55 pm »
Thanks Blueskull and Klienstien,

Can I cook up something quick I mean I have some transistors or if mosfets would do the trick I can go in for that.
Also I forgot about the power supplies would single + supply do the trick or would I need dual + - power supplies?

I found a single supply amp based on the LM386 here http://www.bristolwatch.com/radio/lm386_power_amp.htm

« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:11:06 pm by ZeroResistance »

Offline pigrew

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2016, 02:14:07 pm »
Thanks Blueskull and Klienstien,

Can I cook up something quick I mean I have some transistors or if mosfets would do the trick I can go in for that.
Also I forgot about the power supplies would single + supply do the trick or would I need dual + - power supplies?
If you don't care so much about distortion, you could build a simple push pull output stage with BJTs (a few BJTs would work). If you need low distortion, you'd need to design a feedback amplifier (much more complicated, a dozen or so BJTs).

If you don't mind filtering out DC, then you can use only a positive supply. If you have to preserve DC, and your output has to be able to go negative, then positive and negative supplies would be needed.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2016, 02:23:39 pm »

If you don't care so much about distortion, you could build a simple push pull output stage with BJTs (a few BJTs would work). If you need low distortion, you'd need to design a feedback amplifier (much more complicated, a dozen or so BJTs).

If you don't mind filtering out DC, then you can use only a positive supply. If you have to preserve DC, and your output has to be able to go negative, then positive and negative supplies would be needed.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Yes I don't mind distortion and filtering out DC, generally the audio amps are rating in output power (W).
For eg. the LM358 circuit I posted above is rated for several watts by using TIP31 and TIP32.

Lets say the wattage is 2 watts output power.
Do they typically rate it for 8 ohm load and if so would it be right to use this equation to get the current output in the load?

W = I2R;
so
I2 = W / R
I = sqrt(W/R) = 0.5 Amp

I need at least 1 Amp so would it be right to say that I need at leas a 4W output stage audio amp?
« Last Edit: November 08, 2016, 02:25:18 pm by ZeroResistance »

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2016, 02:26:25 pm »
Power Op Amp, Max. 5V, Output Signal Swings Within 200mV of Rails at 2A Output Current
http://www.ti.com/product/OPA569

1.5A, 24V, 17MHz, Power Operational Amplifier
http://www.ti.com/product/opa564

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2016, 02:48:19 pm »
Power Op Amp, Max. 5V, Output Signal Swings Within 200mV of Rails at 2A Output Current

Thanks Kalvin,
Nice find! Yes the power op amp looks good but it is 5V supply and going at $4 for 1K pcs and yes TI has a range of other power amps which operate on higher voltages > 15V .

I'd like my output signal amplitude to be a bit higher probable around 10Vp.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2016, 02:53:59 pm »
Price, performance and integration, aka ease of use, pick two.

In the short term that is for immediate use I would go in either for a discrete version or buy a popular audio amp from a local source. For long term use I could go in for specialized chips mentioned by kalvin et al

Thanks.

Offline Kalvin

• Super Contributor
  • Embedded SW/HW.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2016, 02:57:30 pm »

Thanks Kalvin,
Nice find! Yes the power op amp looks good but it is 5V supply and going at $4 for 1K pcs and yes TI has a range of other power amps which operate on higher voltages > 15V .

I'd like my output signal amplitude to be a bit higher probable around 10Vp.

If you read carefully my post, the opa564 will go up to 24V and will have better GBW.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2016, 03:30:53 pm »

If you read carefully my post, the opa564 will go up to 24V and will have better GBW.

Yes I did read it's a real good device better specs and good price!

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2016, 03:39:31 pm »
I have a sine wave generator 1Hz - 1MHz frequency range and also has a amplitude knob however its output current is low probably a few 10's of mA. In some cases I need a stronger drive maybe upto 1Amp.

I am looking at something simple probably a few transistors (discrete way) or a single chip solution (I would have to wait longer for this since the chip would have to be ordered). If the 1Hz to 1Mhz is too complex a drive stage I can settle for 1Hz to 20Khz for the moment it would be fine.

Is an audio output amp the way to go? Any other suggestions?

TIA

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/operational-amplifiers/0301599/

• Frequent Contributor

Offline CJay

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2016, 06:00:43 pm »
Ach, damnit so it has.

I'll have to find an equivalent for myself as well now.

Have you looked at 'simple' amplifier chips like the TDA2030 etc?

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2016, 06:31:38 pm »
The TDA2030 is cheap, but also not that fast and not known for very good stability with a more difficult load.

I would ad least consider a more modern audio amplifier. They tend to be faster and less critical on the load. Likely you still need the often seen RL pair at the output to make it stable with any load. I would consider something like an LM1876.

Keep in mind the audio amps need quite some amplification to be stable - maybe even more with a critical load.

A good fast OP would be the LT1210, though rather fast for just 1 MHz max. Though a square wave also include quite some overtones.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2016, 07:10:50 pm »
Audio amplifier designs are generally going to be too slow although one of my first designs was good to almost 1 MHz.

Check out Linear Technology application note 18 for some ideas.  Look up "diamond buffer" which is a higher performance 4 or more transistor implementation of what ZeroResistance posted.

A good fast OP would be the LT1210, though rather fast for just 1 MHz max. Though a square wave also include quite some overtones.

That was the first thing I thought of and almost perfect for this job.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2016, 07:36:02 pm »
thanks CJay, Kleinstein and David for your response

So I have got power opamps, audio amps, diamond buffer ... and more to look into ..

Thanks again!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf