Author Topic: Advice on Small LCD video screens  (Read 1026 times)

Offline prwileyTopic starter

• Contributor
Advice on Small LCD video screens
« on: February 01, 2017, 06:58:31 pm »
I want to incorporate some small LCD screens playing video into an artwork I am planning. I am familiar with basic electronics, microprocessors, etc.,  but I am suffering from a case of I don't know what I don't know in this video area.

I wonder if someone could give advice on two issues (and any related ones I might not know about).

1) Finding bare LED screens 4"-7" or so that can accommodate a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Where does one source these? I have done some searching, but I not finding what I want -- a screen I can incorporate into my own enclosure. I don't need touchscreen capability, just a screen to play video on.

2) What's needed to connect to Raspberry Pi.

A Raspberry Pi 3 looks to me like the most cost-effcient way to playback video (if there's a better way, I'd love to hear about it). It has HDMI out. What's would be needed to get a bare LED screen of the kind noted above ready to hook up to a Raspberry Pi 3? Do I just need some kind of HDMI breakout, or is there some kind of circuitry needed between the LED screen and the HDMI output.

Any help and suggestions gratefully received.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2017, 07:05:05 pm by prwiley »
Peter Wiley
prwileystudio

Offline negativ3

• Regular Contributor

The following users thanked this post: prwiley

Offline DavidMenting

• Contributor
    • Nut & Bolt interaction design
Re: Advice on Small LCD video screens
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 07:50:41 pm »
4-7" sounds like smartphone territory. Grab the cheapest Android phone/tablet you can find that gives you adequate screen size and quality and you are done.

It's going to take a lot of effort and expense to get a Raspberry Pi and a screen in such a nice complete package.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf