Author Topic: Affordable, Accurate, basic use multimeter?  (Read 6414 times)

Offline 22khzTopic starter

• charlatan
Affordable, Accurate, basic use multimeter?
« on: January 23, 2018, 12:54:41 am »
Hello everyone, Greetings from Greece! (Yes we can still afford internet)
The moment I've entered the forums to ask some basic questions of my concerns, I'm instantly greeted with nostalgic web 2.0 theme, and the classic cheesy emoticons that brings back so much memories.  :-+

Alright, Straight up; I don't really use multimeters all that much, to be honest It will be in a rare situation when I'm diagnosing a malfunctioned or a dead device I have to use a multimerer.
I never have done any heavy duty measurements, like measuring the current, volts, amps and watts in my house, on outlets, killswitches e.t.c, I plan on using a multimeter for electronic devices, like computers, video game consoles, phones, mobile phones and all that good stuff..

For Instance, I will give you an example in a situation I am in. I have a Playstation 2 Slimline model (SCPH 77xxx), It doesn't read any Discs or any DVD's. 90% That means the laser module, in my case a PVR-802W is dead. Beneath this device there are two potentiometers that lower or increase the Ohm resistance of the module. That's where a use of a multimeter comes in. I need to measure how much e Ohm's each potentiometers hold.

Problem is, I had a dodgy multimeter that I bought for 8 bucks a year ago, It worked on some voltage tests, not sure about the accuracy, 1.5v batteries measure okay, but really hesitated to do something dangerous like measuring the power outlets. It really was a naive rush buy, I did a year ago, didn't really thought about it because I don't really use multimeters on daily basis, but after I have done with holiday season work, I returned to my home and things settled in, I have all the time in the world. I stumbled the guy on eevblog, watched a couple of the videos relating affordable and good multimeters, sure I realized he is nitpicking on certain aspects of the multimerer, the grip feel, the backhold, the sturdiness of the knob, but it was a very informative video. Turns out he had a point, most of the 20$ range multimeters, we're terribly unreliable and unsafe. The question is why did I bothered buying a 10$ multimeter in the first place? I never had high expectations about it, but I hoped it would do at least the very basics for a hobby use.

In the end, it was a rushbuy, I was stupid for not doing my research before hand, It was a nobrainer  :palm:
That piece of crap despite working, I threw it in the garbage, money wasted, lesson learned.

Now, I'm willing to spend max 60 bucks, but it better be worth the money. For a hobby use, not professionally. I'm a very casual user, also at the very beginning but I want it to be accurate, reliable and safe and lasting me for a long time. I have laid my eyes on the Extech EX330, it lays on my Amazon.co.uk basket, ready to order  :-DMM.

What do you guys think, go for it, or could be again a no-brainer?!  :-DD

Offline basinstreetdesign

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Affordable, Accurate, basic use multimeter?
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 02:45:41 am »
Take a look at the ANENG AN8008.  Dave reviews it here:

https://www.eevblog.com/2017/07/15/eevblog-1007-is-a-25-multimeter-any-good/

It take him about 8 minutes to start warming to it but eventually pronounces it "excellent for the price".
I have one and its pretty good for me.  Only US$25 SHIPPED.  Even includes a cheesy multiple frequency square wave signal generator.  It took between 3-4 weeks to get to me.
STAND BACK!  I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 02:58:07 am »
I have a few meters around the 40-50 ( US $ ) range and the AN8008 is the one I use the most.  Buy about a half dozen of them, if not then at least 2.  Very few negative reviews.  And they do not use 9v batteries  :-+

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 03:28:50 am »
My $0.02...

In my several years of dabbling in electronics I have never found a need to use a multimeter on mains voltages. Usually there is another way to diagnose the problem. A NCV (non-contact voltage) detector is a safe way to detect the presence of mains voltages.

The function I use most is the continuity tester.

The EX330 is a fine 4000 count meter - I own one. As I recall it can be a little sluggish in auto-range mode.

The first meter I ever bought was the Radio Shack pen-style meter, and it served me well for several years:

http://i32.tinypic.com/10hw26x.jpg

I've also done a lot of useful work with a $5 CENTECH 2000 count meter.

If you pursue electronics as a hobby you'll find it useful to have at least two meters -- one to measure current and another to measure voltage. Right now I own four "budget" meters including two Extechs and an Aneng. If I were to buy another meter I would look at getting a high-precision meter like a Fluke.

The Aneng 8008 and 8009 meters are 10K count meters, cost about $25 and have gotten a lot of attention here on the forums, so I would check those out. For $60 you could get one of those meters and a decent set of probes.

Offline CatalinaWOW

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2018, 03:46:02 am »
I am one of those unfortunate (or unfortunate) souls who has literally dozens of multimeters, ranging from many of the 2000 count Centek meters up through bench models capable of ppm resolution.

I have found none of them that don't meet their basic accuracy specs, and all of them have accuracy more than sufficient for the type of diagnosis and troubleshooting you are describing, and that most of us do.

What I have found is that the low end meters often come with extraordinarily poor test leads, that result in flaky unreliable readings.  I suspect that if you bought (or made) a good set of leads to use with your current meter you would solve your problems.

A second meter would let you verify readings that seem odd or funny.  Unfortunately in the cases where the two meters disagree you need a third meter to resolve the issue.  So there is real benefit to settling on a low priced meter.  You can still end up paying less than you would for one of the big name suppliers.

Offline daybyter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2018, 05:13:58 am »
How much would a uni-t 139c cost you?

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2018, 10:05:58 am »
Kalimera Patrioti!
Get a ANENG/ZOTEK/RICHMETER variant and you are good to go....

Offline xibalban

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2018, 11:36:17 am »
The Extech 330 is a good choice, and Dave here has given a good review for it. Go, empty your Amazon basket  :-+

"Age is an issue of mind over matter. If you don't mind, it doesn't matter." - Mark Twain

Offline nes999

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2018, 03:09:14 pm »
I would deffinatly look in the used market. There can be some good deals to be had

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2018, 04:56:36 pm »
I dont need another multimeter, but after seeing your post and watching Dave...I ordered one this morning. :-DMM

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2018, 05:04:28 pm »
I have several DMMs clear down to the $7 Harbor Freight model.  Recently I recommended the Aneng 8008 as a handy ELECTRONICS meter and got hammered because nobody believes the safety ratings, can't find slots in the PCB and the fuses aren't rated 600V - and so on.

Others were concerned that my offspring might want to use the meter inside industrial substations and it clearly isn't appropriate.  I don't do that kind of work any more so I don't see the issue but I suppose my great-grandson (yet to be born) might and I should only buy heavy duty industrial grade meters.  I'm rolling my eyes...

We always used Simpson 260s for that kind of work and the version I own have no CAT rating at all.  What you see is what you got.

For ELECTRONICS use, the AN8008 is a pretty nice DMM.  It's cheap enough to have 2 or 3 and accurate enough for everything the common hobbyist requires.  Believe me, if you need a better DMM, you will know.  If not, it's good enough!

For $20, it's a pretty nice meter.  No, it's not as accurate or robust as my $400 Fluke 189.  Few meters are!

You aren't getting a $400 meter for $20 and you should probably avoid messing around in the mains with this or any other meter.

The following users thanked this post: Wimberleytech

• charlatan
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2018, 05:47:25 pm »
About that AN8008, I really have negative experience with chinese products. I never expected much, but even for a dirt cheap product, I still feel ripped off.
I would prefer anything other than Malaysia, Taiwan and China. They're notorious for cheap price and horrendous quality. I dont mind spending a little more than $20, but it better be worth it...

Offline Wimberleytech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2018, 07:21:19 pm »
About that AN8008, I really have negative experience with chinese products. I never expected much, but even for a dirt cheap product, I still feel ripped off.
I would prefer anything other than Malaysia, Taiwan and China. They're notorious for cheap price and horrendous quality. I dont mind spending a little more than $20, but it better be worth it...

Wow, painting with a broad brush.
My HP32S calculator was made in Singapore.
Virtually everything else I own (this mouse...this keyboard...) was made in China.
Oh, wait...my King Ranch Ford Expedition was assembled in the US--I mean Mexico.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2018, 07:53:45 pm »
Where do you expect to find a decent (or any) DMM manufactured in a western country for $60?

Offline Old Printer

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2018, 08:04:11 pm »

You obviously don't get out in the world much. You really should open your mind and eyes and have a look around, because you are missing a lot. The world is full of junk, but there is also a lot of quality and performance for the dollar to be had. This forum, and many more like it, are a goldmine of user information that completely contradict your conclusion.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2018, 08:07:23 pm »

What didn't you like about the 8008?  (Do you have one?)

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2018, 08:25:42 pm »
That Extech EX330 is made in either Hong Kong or Taiwan.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Extech_Instruments

There's a lot of information re: DMMs in the Test Equipment forum.  Look at the 'stickies'.

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2018, 09:15:28 pm »
You get what you pay for.  I have no doubt a $50 meter is better than a $20 meter.  In my case (hobby) all my $50 meters are in a drawer and the $20 ones are on the bench.
YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: January 23, 2018, 09:32:52 pm »
I'd recommend against the cheap Aneng meters unless you really can't afford more.  They are good value for the money- in fact I just bought 5 of them for my kids school maker space to use. But,  they are very low quality materials, cheap plastic, etc. What you'd expect for the price.

For your purpose, I can highly recommend the Tekpower TP4000ZC.  It's excellent for the price ($34 on Amazon). Forum member Franky Tong used to sell these on his eBay store (under the Digitek brand) but I don't see them there now.

It is well built, with a solid rubber bumper. I've had one for years and it stands up to abuse.  It is very accurate as well.  Note - as with most DMMs in this price range, it's input safety is questionable and I would not use it for any mains measurements.

Martin Lorton did a nice video review of this meter a few years back:

• charlatan
« Reply #19 on: January 23, 2018, 09:39:03 pm »
I never meant disrespect to AN 8008 Owners, If you're satisfied with the product, that's a good thing to hear  :-+
But about my opinion, I know there is a situation which I like to call, "Ghost Brands" That means brands that are not registered as a trademark, nor they hold a copyright or history of products. No website, no information on origin, nothing. Plus, there are usually a lot of re-branding on a single product, just take a look at this mess . I don't like this at all, and I believe it's very dodgy. I'm not accusing ANENG to same dodginess, but the're are a few of rebrands on their products. They don't seem to prevent other "brands" from selling, they don't seem to file serious lawsuits for blatant theft or plagiarism either. I don't like that.

An another thing, I prefer, a streamlined device, If this thing claims to be designed for specific tasks, and fails to do that, I'd rather prefer the device that is little more expensive and don't have the feature at all. If you get my point...
I'm looking for a solid deal, a straight up manual, a fine quality product. And no damn chinglish.

Offline stj

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2018, 06:05:34 pm »
ANENG brand is made by ZOTEK and they have a website and shop on AliExpress.

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2018, 06:23:12 pm »
I never meant disrespect to AN 8008 Owners, If you're satisfied with the product, that's a good thing to hear  :-+
But about my opinion, I know there is a situation which I like to call, "Ghost Brands" That means brands that are not registered as a trademark, nor they hold a copyright or history of products. No website, no information on origin, nothing. Plus, there are usually a lot of re-branding on a single product, just take a look at this mess . I don't like this at all, and I believe it's very dodgy. I'm not accusing ANENG to same dodginess, but the're are a few of rebrands on their products. They don't seem to prevent other "brands" from selling, they don't seem to file serious lawsuits for blatant theft or plagiarism either. I don't like that.

An another thing, I prefer, a streamlined device, If this thing claims to be designed for specific tasks, and fails to do that, I'd rather prefer the device that is little more expensive and don't have the feature at all. If you get my point...
I'm looking for a solid deal, a straight up manual, a fine quality product. And no damn chinglish.

What you describe is a Chinese Fluke

Offline jack-daniels

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2018, 06:29:16 pm »

Save a little more and get a BM235 from here

https://www.welectron.com/Brymen-BM235-Multimeter_1

Or pay a little more and get one from Dave and support his forum & videos.  :-+

https://www.amazon.co.uk/EEVblog-BM235-Brymen-Multimeter/dp/B01JZ1ADCO

Offline Terry01

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2018, 06:40:26 pm »

"I'm looking for a solid deal, a straight up manual, a fine quality product. And no damn chinglish."

And you want all for 60 bucks?? 

Your aff your nut Neeb...but funny as hell!!   :-DD :-DD
Sparks and Smoke means i'm nearly there!

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2018, 01:41:46 pm »
It seems you want a champagne meter at beer prices.  I'm not like rstofer, with dozens of meters, only 8-obviously I am a failure at TEA.  I have up to 5.5 digit meters.  I have both the 8008 and 8009.  For what they do, they work great.  They even work at 120V mains here in the US.  I certainly wouldn't measure mains regularly or more than the 120V we have here, but they are reasonably accurate.  Just don't try to measure mains in current settings!  Replace the crappy leads with Brymen gold plated leads that Frankie Tong sells on eBay.  I find mine very accurate for the low resistance measurements(under 1R) that I need for work.  The very small size fits well in my tool bag and if I lose one, I have a spare and won't be heartbroken like if I lost my Fluke.  If you really, really want an awesome meter with great specs, quality and documentation, be prepared to pay for that.  If you need an occasional use budget meter for DC, resistance or continuity, get an Aneng or 2.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf