Author Topic: After reading transistor chapter  (Read 1260 times)

Offline stoica adrianTopic starter

• Contributor
After reading transistor chapter
« on: September 17, 2018, 03:58:23 pm »
Hello,
I need your opinions guys. I just have finished the bipolar transistor chapter on "Art of Electronics" & "Learning The Art of Electronics", and i feel a little beat overwhelmed with all that informations.
Now, i look at voltage regulator with bipolar transistors, and, i recognize the main blocks of this circuit, but it is a little hard to estimate the voltage and the currents using the schematics. Should i read again this chapter, until i am able to fully analyze this circuit, or, i should continue with the chapters.
My approach is this. i read the " Learning The Art of Electronics", i am doing the labs, and then i am reading "The Art of electronics", and i am doing the small circuits at the end of the chapter. And i am also learning eagle to design this small circuits from the art of electronics.
I am also eager to reach digital chapters, and i do not ant to sped six mouths on a chapter  |O

What you should do?

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
Re: After reading transistor chapter
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2018, 04:11:47 pm »
In my view it isn't necessary to fully understand every possible circuit or equation.  I just try to remember where I read about it.  When it comes up, I know where to go to get the information.

Nobody remembers all of this stuff.  In the day of Google, I can find anything I want with just a couple of clicks.

So, work through as best you can and remember where you read it.

Offline David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2018, 04:26:14 am »
There are some tricks like recognizing that every forward biased Vbe junction, which is all of them unless a transistor is cutoff, is about 0.6 volts.  A couple more are:

- A 60mV change in Vbe yields a decade (x10) change in base current.  Obviously this applies to diodes as well.
- Emitter resistance in ohms which determines transconductance is 26 millivolts/milliamp.

The following users thanked this post: exe, petert

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2018, 09:49:23 am »
There seems to be more than one lab manual for The art of Electronics. 

One producer on YouTube is going through one of the lab manuels using a Digilent scope, its pretty interesting and he is covering individual experiements from the book. 

It may be worth having a look.

Offline TheNewLab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 06:43:23 am »
The YouTube link please.. I am interested in that.

Regarding the AofE exercises.. I have both the book and workbook. I started chugging along chapter by chapter. I quickly got tired and now jump around backwards and forwards...There are the basics.
Transistors are important, I went through so much to get that stuff in my head. It was not until a found a used copy of Malvino's book...the older 6th or 7th edition are nicer quality books. However, that is another book...so, however you decide. 8)

Offline joseph nicholas

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 09:47:40 am »
Just go to YT and search for tomtektest or something similar.  You might also take a look at learning electronics, he does some theory and practical experiments more or less from the book.

Offline Mario87

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 10:31:53 am »
Just go to YT and search for tomtektest or something similar.  You might also take a look at learning electronics, he does some theory and practical experiments more or less from the book.

Brilliant! Thank you for that! I am currently going through AoE Lab book at the sections in the textbook that the lab book recommends as extra reading. Will take a look at those YouTube videos.

For anyone else interested, the channel in question is https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCUEo3LPGD1gWfGJQoE0i1Gg/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf