Author Topic: Agilent U1242B or Fluke 179  (Read 28439 times)

Offline VexerTopic starter

• Contributor
Agilent U1242B or Fluke 179
« on: September 14, 2010, 01:36:05 am »
Hey guys,

I have decided to make the investment in a good meter that should last me a while. I have narrowed my choices down to the Fluke 179 or Agilent U1242B. They are both about ~$230. I am leaning towards the Agilent because it can measure micro-amps. Other than that, they seem to be about the same.

What would you guys recommend I get?

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: Agilent U1242B or Fluke 179
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 02:45:23 am »
I'd go for the Agilent, a much more versatile meter for the money.

Dave.

Offline kaptain_zero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 04:30:58 am »
Now, I don't have enough experience to really know what I'm talking about, never mind looking at, but after looking at this Agilent U1242B, I have to ask (just because I can't see it myself) what reason would there be to choose a Fluke 87 V over this Agilent, if any?

I managed to study electronics enough to pass my Advanced Amateur Radio exam many years ago, but as a postman who gave up Amateur Radio a decade ago, I seem to have forgotten most of what I knew, which wasn't all that much really.  As I approach retirement (still 8 years away....), I'm finding that I've rekindled an interest in electronics and radio once again, so I have begun to assemble some basic gear...... next up is a new'ish or new DMM, and the Agilent seems to fit the bill. My Beckman DM800 is still very serviceable, but it's getting a bit long in the tooth and a second quality meter would surely aid in my measurement confidence, even if I'm not sure exactly what it is that I'm measuring!  ;D

Thanks in advance for any help and or suggestions...

Regards

Christian

Offline Mambo

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 09:05:58 am »
If your willing to pay the money you buy Fluke. If not then you buy something else, and Agilent is a well known brand although not in Handheld DMM's in general. People may have a go at me here, but I know more on the subject than most. Fluke 170 series and above have a lifetime warranty for instance and all the 170 series, 20/80 series & 280 series are all made in USA.  The idea is that a Fluke DMM should last you a lifetime and spare parts will be held for years to come.  You will always be able to get full featured DMM's for less than Fluke. Then again you can get full featured DMM's for far less than a Agilent. It's what you can afford, and what you consider important.

The three factors that cause people to buy Fluke is Safety, Quality / Warranty Support & Reputation. These days Accuracy is line ball on many of the highend handhelds (0.025%) so you need to consider those other aspects to ownership. Another thing that's fair to say is the higher the Energy in the Circuit the closer you should look at Fluke.

Anyway that's my thoughts on it.

Offline Nermash

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 07:47:35 pm »
I am also considering getting the U1242b, and only thing that bothers me is the continuity speed. If someone owning the U1242b could post a short video of continuity test, it would be great!

Of course, full review from Dave would be magic:)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 10:44:46 pm »
Now, I don't have enough experience to really know what I'm talking about, never mind looking at, but after looking at this Agilent U1242B, I have to ask (just because I can't see it myself) what reason would there be to choose a Fluke 87 V over this Agilent, if any?

The 87 has several advantages:
1) 20,000 count vs 10,000 count
2) 0.05% vs 0.09%
3) "Lifetime" warranty vs 3 year warranty
4) Made in USA vs Malaysia
5) Arguably better parts support in the future
6) 400 vs 300 hour battery life

But the Agilent does has some advantages in terms of features, you'd have to weight those up.

But considering the Fluke is more expensive, it's not quite comparing apples to apples.

Dave.

Offline TopherTheME

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 07:47:13 pm »
I am also considering getting the U1242b, and only thing that bothers me is the continuity speed. If someone owning the U1242b could post a short video of continuity test, it would be great!

Of course, full review from Dave would be magic:)

I have one and really like it. The continuity check isn't really that bad. Its actually about the same speed as most meters, it just that the 87 is so dam fast it makes the 1242 appear very slow.

I've used the fluke 87s, 77s, and 179s. Obviously the best out of all the choices (inluding the agilent) is the fluke 87. It's just a kick-ass meter. The problem is that the 87V is about twice the price as the u1242B and IMO not worth the extra cost. When compared to the 179, the 1242 has some great features that the 179 doesn't such as data logging, dual temperature measurement, harmonic ratio, ambient/meter temperature, and longer battery life. All features that I use a lot more than I thought I would. One thing that the 1242 really shines at too is the measurement speed. When measuring a voltage or resistance it instantly locks onto the value and it doesn't change its mind. I've noticed flukes like most meters will wonder a bit at first before converging to a value. Anyway, when I was looking at buying a new meter I looked at the 179 as well and thought the agilent was hands down the best meter in the $200ish price range. BTW, you can get the u1242b for $200 at element 14.

If a few people are interested I can do a mini-review video doing some continuity check and voltage measurement and post it on youtube.
Don't blame me. I'm the mechanical engineer.

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 07:53:10 pm »
I would be very interested in a review.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 01:54:12 am »
I'll have to get the U1242B for review, as it doesn't seem to be the best value meter around the $200 range.

Dave.

Offline TopherTheME

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 03:09:08 am »
I'll have to get the U1242B for review, as it doesn't seem to be the best value meter around the $200 range.

Dave.

Ok, maybe its not the absolute best value meter in the $200 range but I couldn't find anything that had on-meter data logging and dual temperature measurement for under $200 other than the u1242b. Not very important features for most people but essential for the kind of things that I do.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 04:09:01 am »

Dave.

Ok, maybe its not the absolute best value meter in the $200 range but I couldn't find anything that had on-meter data logging and dual temperature measurement for under $200 other than the u1242b. Not very important features for most people but essential for the kind of things that I do.

Oops, I meant to say "DOES seem to be the best value"!
Sometimes my brain does not connect with my fingers correctly  ;D

Dave.

Offline kaptain_zero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2010, 03:33:20 am »
Thanks everyone for your thoughts..... I was away for a few days and I just got back, thus the lag in my response.

The point about slow continuity test response time has me thinking... (my old Beckman has the same problem), how hard could it possibly be to design a stand alone continuity tester for those of us who can't afford to buy a DMM that *includes* that particular feature while also meeting our other priorities? I'm no wiz for sure, but I was thinking a couple of cheap chips, less than half a dozen discrete components, a couple of banana jacks and a small case/speaker/battery should be all would should take, no?!?!?! It seems rather silly to make ones choice of a DMM based on that feature alone, one that could be so simply provided separately, on the bench at least. It won't kill me to take some extra time testing for shorts, but I do see the advantage of a super quick, "easy on the ears" latching response. A pro must naturally see this in a different light, particularly if working on site..... That's when you really need an all-in-one unit that is tough as nails (no running back to the shop for your spare) and can more easily justify the higher purchase price of such a unit.

Regards

Christian

Offline TopherTheME

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2010, 03:45:02 pm »
I don't think a 250ms delay in response time of a buzzer is a good reason to spend the time and the effort of building your own continuity meter. A super fast continuity check is nice but its not like you're missing out in life if you don't have one.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 03:57:54 pm by TopherTheME »

Offline kaptain_zero

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2010, 03:19:42 am »
There is another thread  here regarding the Fluke 87 V that has me quite concerned. *MY* DMM's won't be exposed to much in the way of cell phone radiation, but as an Amateur Radio junkie..... I can get a bit of stray RF in the shop.... err.... shack as we call it. I'm allowed to play with a maximum of 1000 watts of radiated power so I do need to be careful of test gear that isn't properly shielded! RF burns are not exactly unknown to us "Hams".

To be more accurate, when we get into the higher frequencies such as 1.2 GHz and 2.4GHz and up, power generally drops to a more manageable 100 watts and below...... mostly due to cost factors, but also safety.....  When dealing 450 MHz and down.... we quickly start climbing up in power with 1000 watts radiated being max and something like 1500 input.  So the fact that spending the extra $$$ buys me a warrantied for life, top of the line meter, but also might buy me an RF susceptible, to the point of failure DMM, really doesn't charm me all that much.

As Dave would say, it's "Horses for Courses" (and as an ex employee of the back stretch at the Assiniboia Downs Racetrack) I REALLY do KNOW what that saying means!  ;D

So..... I'd like to add my request for Dave to review the Agilent...... The fact that it's around $200 locally, and the 87 V has an asking price of $500+ locally adds to that very question for me. I could pick up the 87V for less than $300 if I'm willing to make a 55 minute drive to the US border and pick it up there, but warranty is going to be iffy at that point..... with me, at the very least, having to take the time out to send it back to the US for service, then deal with Customs Canada etc. when it gets shipped back, if I actually get warranty service at all, as I purchased it outside Canada...... With my High RF potential in my shop.... this is a real concern.

Looking forward to hearing any more opinions!

Regards

Christian aka

Kaptain" Hey, it's only money....... what am I worried about?" Zero

Offline TopherTheME

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2010, 10:27:51 pm »
I'll try and get a video up of my agilent tomorrow as today I am just to dam tired. One thing to note is that I did the GSM test on the u1242b and found no problems what so ever. I put it next to my router as well and of course got nothing. The meter is somewhat well shielded so I think it would be just as good as any other meter (except the 87 obviously).

Offline Nermash

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2010, 02:16:21 pm »
I'll try and get a video up of my agilent tomorrow as today I am just to dam tired.

We are anxiously awaiting the video :) :)

Offline TopherTheME

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2010, 06:25:32 pm »
Oh shit, sorry I've been crazy busy lately and forgot. I'll try and get a video up tonight or tomorrow morning.

Offline Rhythmtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2010, 09:07:41 pm »
I have a U1252A that I absolutely love! 

Offline TopherTheME

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2010, 03:52:54 am »
Ok, I finally managed to get five minutes of free time and made a very quick video. Sorry I couldn't show more, I just don't have time to cut/edit/compress videos this week.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2010, 04:16:14 am »
Thanks for sharing the video.
Shame about the continuity tester (and those silly covers), the only major flaw(?) on what otherwise looks like a great meter.

Dave.

Offline TopherTheME

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2010, 04:41:18 am »
The only other flaw that I found was that it doesn't support T type thermocouples, only J and K. Most meters only support K or J (not both) so this isn't really that big of a deal but I prefer T type.

Also, the fuse placement is rather stupid. The large fuse is actually on the front side of the PCB meaning you have to take the entire thing apart to get to it. Other than that, its a very nice meter. I would definitely recommend one if you're looking for a meter in the $200 range.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2010, 05:03:06 am »
Also, the fuse placement is rather stupid. The large fuse is actually on the front side of the PCB meaning you have to take the entire thing apart to get to it. Other than that, its a very nice meter. I would definitely recommend one if you're looking for a meter in the $200 range.

Same as the 1250 series then. Yeah, that is a very retarded bit of product design.

I think Ill eventually get one of these for review.

Dave.

Offline Nermash

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 06:15:11 am »
Thanks for the video, I have seen what interested me!

• Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2010, 12:51:50 pm »
Thanks a lot for the video!

Offline alexh

• Contributor
    • Alex' Page
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2010, 12:30:20 pm »
Thanks for sharing the video.
Shame about the continuity tester (and those silly covers), the only major flaw(?) on what otherwise looks like a great meter.

Dave.

Actually the continuity testing is much better (faster) in the 'diode' mode. Still not at Fluke-speed, but quite decent, at least on my U1242A.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf