Author Topic: Air Cored Inductor  (Read 12177 times)

Offline Fuse_Burner

• Contributor
Air Cored Inductor
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2013, 07:46:35 am »
Cool, I'm glad I asked. This works for a tank coil as well?  I've been told that a tank coil presents no loss and creates no heat.

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
Re: Air Cored Inductor
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2013, 07:55:55 am »
http://www.colomar.com/Shavano/inductor_info.html

Looks decent for putting in a desired inductance and spitting out turns/dimensions that should work. Youre gonna need a lot of turns for a 1mH inductor ;)

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2013, 08:09:10 am »
if you have something to measure inductance, get yourself some thick copper enamelled wire and wind it onto a half inch whitworth bolt. 10 -15 turns ought to get you close, then unscrew the bolt from the wound wire

Surely this is too low for 220uH or 1mH with an air core?
To be honest, I don't know.

If that formula I posted is remotely accurate then a 1/2" BSW thread is 12TPI so diameter, d = 0.5" (Although I believe its the total outside diameter including the wire), over an inch turns, n = 12 and the length of the coil, l = 1" so
0.5^2 * 12 ^2 / (18 * 0.5 + 40 * 1) = 0.735uH  :-//
:palm:
Brain fart, thought another .3u would make it to 1m  :-[

Offline Mar

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2013, 10:16:32 am »
if u need 1 mh aircore you will have to do handreds of turns ...
i made 1 mh inductance with ferrite toroid core  got from old ATX power supply ( i though its AL=92 )  .. with only  114 turn about 4 meters from 0.7mm wire diameter ...
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 10:48:17 am by Mar »

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2013, 01:50:43 pm »
if u need 1 mh aircore you will have to do handreds of turns ...
i made 1 mh inductance with ferrite toroid core  got from old ATX power supply ( i though its AL=92 )  .. with only  114 turn about 4 meters from 0.7mm wire diameter ...

You have to mind your saturation though if you are using a core. For the desulfator, the L3 inductor, its keeping the pulses/ringing of the desulfator from affecting the charger. So it needs to maintain its inductance under the full charge current.  The ATX one will work fine for smaller charge currents, but an air core will work fine until you burn the insulation. 

Also, if you want to buy instead of make, parts-express sells air-core inductors for decent prices. Meant for crossovers in stereos

http://www.parts-express.com/term/1.0mh?srch=1.0mH

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf