Author Topic: alternate datsheets or better examples for 4000 series ICs like the 405x mux?  (Read 1641 times)

Offline dentakuTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Old ICs have old datasheets which means that sometimes they're ugly, hard to read and difficult to decipher for beginners.
I've found the datasheet for various versions of the 4051 8-channel mux and they all differ in how useful they are. I just found the modern NXP datasheet for the NEF4051 which explains it better so I think I understand how it works now (I completely misunderstood how it worked before finding the NXP datasheet), but since I have some quite old TC4051BP and SIL4051BE ICs I'd like to use, I can't assume that all the current and voltage figures of another version applies to something manufactured in 1975.

Is there somewhere with lots of info on old 4xxx series chips, kind of like the "unofficial datasheets" with better examples of how they can be used?
All the examples I'm finding are about using Arduinos with the 4051 but that doesn't help me much.

Mostly, I want to know what NOT to do with it so I don't blow it up by looking at examples of it's basic functions.

I simply want to switch the 4051 outputs on and off in sequence using a 4029 up/down counter which I already have set up and working.
Can I light a row of 8 LEDs with this in sequence or do I have to use transistors to switch the LEDs?
This horrible FRITZed thing seems to show LEDs being lit directly connected to the 4051 but the modern NXP datasheet looks like it tells me that there shouldn't be more than 10mA going through the switches.
Page 6 - section 8 - Limiting Values http://www.nxp.com/documents/data_sheet/HEF4051B.pdf

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
Is there somewhere with lots of info on old 4xxx series chips, kind of like the "unofficial datasheets" with better examples of how they can be used?

Although not all digital circuits, the Elektor 3xx Circuits books series do have tons of examples using logic chip series.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf