Author Topic: Analog signal isolation  (Read 5187 times)

Offline SilenusTopic starter

• Contributor
Analog signal isolation
« on: January 21, 2015, 07:32:23 am »
I'm designing a circuit that reads bioelectric signals from the body and then feeds this signal into an MCU for processing. Currently I am working on the isolation of the device. I have a high isolation dc/dc converter to power all the active filter op amps. I have read that it is a good idea to isolate the signal via an optocoupler however I am not sure how I would achieve this. With an optocoupler am I able to feed in an analog signal and have it mimmic the signal on the output? What sort of optocoupler circuit would achieve this?

Offline coppice

• Super Contributor
Re: Analog signal isolation
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 07:45:12 am »
I'm designing a circuit that reads bioelectric signals from the body and then feeds this signal into an MCU for processing. Currently I am working on the isolation of the device. I have a high isolation dc/dc converter to power all the active filter op amps. I have read that it is a good idea to isolate the signal via an optocoupler however I am not sure how I would achieve this. With an optocoupler am I able to feed in an analog signal and have it mimmic the signal on the output?
Yes.
What sort of optocoupler circuit would achieve this?
Any opto-coupler which is a pure opto-coupler, and doesn't contain extra circuitry to turn it into a logic device. Opto-couplers can operate as analogue devices over a large dynamic range. That said, in most cases you are better off putting the op-amps and MCU together on the isolated side, and feeding the digital results from the MCU through an isolator.

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 09:44:44 am »
Any opto-coupler which is a pure opto-coupler, and doesn't contain extra circuitry to turn it into a logic device. Opto-couplers can operate as analogue devices over a large dynamic range. That said, in most cases you are better off putting the op-amps and MCU together on the isolated side, and feeding the digital results from the MCU through an isolator.

So say if I fed this signal into my computer, it would isolate the computer's ground from the ground of the signal acquisition hardware?

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2015, 11:34:08 am »
Use an IL300. It's designed for transfering analog signals across an isolation barrier.

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2015, 11:59:34 am »
If I isolate at the digital side, I was thinking of going with a ISO7220xD instead of the optocoupler.

Offline dannyf

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2015, 12:01:44 pm »
Must easier to convert the analog signal to digital locally before the isolation.
================================
https://dannyelectronics.wordpress.com/

Offline Richard Head

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2015, 02:42:33 pm »
Must easier to convert the analog signal to digital locally before the isolation.
Agreed.

Offline Gall

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2015, 02:55:57 pm »
That is exactly what HCPL-7800 does. This is a digital optocoupler with integrated ADC and DAC.
The difficult we do today; the impossible takes a little longer.

Online macboy

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2015, 07:46:03 pm »
I'm designing a circuit that reads bioelectric signals from the body and then feeds this signal into an MCU for processing. Currently I am working on the isolation of the device. I have a high isolation dc/dc converter to power all the active filter op amps. I have read that it is a good idea to isolate the signal via an optocoupler however I am not sure how I would achieve this. With an optocoupler am I able to feed in an analog signal and have it mimmic the signal on the output?
Yes.
What sort of optocoupler circuit would achieve this?
well, no, an analog optocoupler is not simply a "non-digital" optocoupler. Many optocouplers are not strictly speaking digital; they are simpy a LED on one side and a photo-transistor on the other. They can be made to operate in the "analog" domain but will not be linear.

This is where true "analog" optocouplers come in. The are highly linear by design. They achieve this by having two very well matched photo-transistors. One is used for feedback in a closed loop op-amp circuit which drives the LED, so that linearity can be achieved. The other is used on the isolated side. The theory is that the second one will track very closely the first one, which is forced to be linear by that negative feedback.

Offline tomizett

« Reply #9 on: January 22, 2015, 11:14:20 pm »
If you're after a simpe aproach, take a look at this app note:
http://www.avagotech.com/docs/5954-8430E
I first came accross this taking apart a Harvard Instruments medical/laboratory isolation amp - they use the Fairchild HCPL2531 opto.

The idea of doing your A/D conversion on the "remote" side is definately attractive though, if you can take the extra complexity.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf