Author Topic: Analog voltage to duty cycle control using 555?  (Read 2794 times)

Offline SittingBearTopic starter

• Contributor
Analog voltage to duty cycle control using 555?
« on: August 22, 2014, 06:09:08 pm »
Hello EEVBlog Forums,
I'm trying to use the voltage output from a peak detector amplifier to convert to a fixed frequency, variable duty cycle signal. I thought about using a micro controller to do this, but that seems like a bit overkill to me and I would rather learn about a possible new use for the 555 timer.

The positive voltage rail will either be +5Vdc or +12Vdc with the negative or low rail being 0V / GND. I feel that there must be a simple way of doing this.

Any help is greatly appreciated!
-Bear

Online David Hess

• Super Contributor
  • DavidH
Re: Analog voltage to duty cycle control using 555?
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2014, 06:54:06 pm »
How accurate do you want it to be?  An operational amplifier can be used to integrate the difference between the desired and output duty cycle.

Offline oldway

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2014, 07:04:51 pm »
You can do this of a very easy way with a TL494 or with a SG1525, but it will not work with +5V, it is too low voltage.
They need more than +8V.

Online T3sl4co1l

• Super Contributor
  • Expert, Analog Electronics, PCB Layout, EMC
    • Seven Transistor Labs
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 07:09:22 pm »

One chip, a handful of resistors.  Will work as shown at 5V, though you may want to tweak values to adjust the exact voltage ranges or thresholds or whatever.

The ramp waveform is sloppy (exponential curves), so the transfer function won't be linear.  You can fix this by using gated current sources instead of R5.  R5 * C1 sets the frequency, R1-R2-R3 sets thresholds.

Tim
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Electronic design, from concept to prototype.
Bringing a project to life?  Send me a message!

Offline SittingBearTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 07:36:09 pm »
Sorry. I found the solution, untested, on page 13 of this datasheet. I attempted to delete this thread, but I guess it might have been better to hear other ideas instead of going with an untested method! I'll be able to construct and take measurements of the circuit tonight.

Cheers!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf