Author Topic: Any one know what is the name/type of this trasnformer?  (Read 2393 times)

Offline evandro.bubiakTopic starter

Any one know what is the name/type of this trasnformer?
« on: April 11, 2016, 11:50:01 pm »
Hi, I am doing a flyback SMPS project and it needs to be the thinner possible. I was supposed to use a convencional flyback transformer EE10 then I opened a signal trasnducer/isolator from Phoenix Contact (MACX MCR-UI-UI-UP-NC - 2811297) to see the miracle they do in a 50mm high equipment, this equipment accepts 24 - 230 V AC/DC for the supply. When I opened it I saw a strange type of pcb trasnformer and I can not find any reference to it. Any one know it?

I can not figure out if it is using a flyback or not...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 12:01:36 am by evandro.bubiak »

Offline ivaylo

• Frequent Contributor
Re: Any one know what is the name/type of this trasnformer?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2016, 06:18:23 am »
The three pole one looks like a three phase job to me (three cores, three capacitors, three connectors,...). Any chance of that? Otherwise no, haven't seen anything like it...

The following users thanked this post: evandro.bubiak

Offline bktemp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2016, 06:53:30 am »
It looks like a simple buck converter using the transistor and inductor on the left side. It is not isolated but can supply more current than a capacitive dropper power supply.
The small toroidal transformers are probably only for signal isolation not for power.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 06:55:57 am by bktemp »

Offline peter.mitchell

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2016, 07:29:31 am »
they are simple toroidal cores, maybe T-68/FT-50B in size, the core is pre-wound as a transformer and then placed in the cut out, epoxied in place and have the wires attached to the board.

EDIT: actually, it looks like they have a PCB routed to make the footprint, the transformer is would on the core, slid over the  PCB,soldered to the carrier PCB, epoxied, then soldered down to the main PCB.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2016, 07:31:14 am by peter.mitchell »

Offline Gyro

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2016, 08:56:30 am »
Those look as if they might be current sense transformers, where a strip of PCB (primary) is inserted through the wound (secondary) toroidal core and then the two ends of the PCB soldered into the board at both ends of the cutout and the whole thing glue reinforced.

I think the transformers you're thinking of are 'Planar Transformers' where the windings are actually spiral PCB tracks on a multilayer board and a split core is then inserted through both sides of the board through cutouts. These can achieve very high energy densities at high switching frequencies. A google search should yield plenty of info, including app notes.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=planar+transformer&biw=1400&bih=961&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwi12fb82ojMAhWC6xQKHd-DAHcQsAQILw&dpr=1

Best Regards, Chris

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2016, 07:42:20 pm »
It looks like a simple buck converter using the transistor and inductor on the left side. It is not isolated but can supply more current than a capacitive dropper power supply.
The small toroidal transformers are probably only for signal isolation not for power.

Hi, is a triple way isolated transducer, so yes, the supply is isolated.

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2016, 07:50:10 pm »
they are simple toroidal cores, maybe T-68/FT-50B in size, the core is pre-wound as a transformer and then placed in the cut out, epoxied in place and have the wires attached to the board.

EDIT: actually, it looks like they have a PCB routed to make the footprint, the transformer is would on the core, slid over the  PCB,soldered to the carrier PCB, epoxied, then soldered down to the main PCB.

Do you think that the pcb core is copper or other more specify material like ferrite?

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2016, 07:53:33 pm »
Those look as if they might be current sense transformers, where a strip of PCB (primary) is inserted through the wound (secondary) toroidal core and then the two ends of the PCB soldered into the board at both ends of the cutout and the whole thing glue reinforced.

I think the transformers you're thinking of are 'Planar Transformers' where the windings are actually spiral PCB tracks on a multilayer board and a split core is then inserted through both sides of the board through cutouts. These can achieve very high energy densities at high switching frequencies. A google search should yield plenty of info, including app notes.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=planar+transformer&biw=1400&bih=961&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&sqi=2&ved=0ahUKEwi12fb82ojMAhWC6xQKHd-DAHcQsAQILw&dpr=1

Yes I could use a planar transformer, but why they (phoenix contact) use  this type of transformer what are the advantages?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf