Author Topic: anyone have experience with Tektronix 2213a?  (Read 7969 times)

Offline eengineerTopic starter

• Contributor
anyone have experience with Tektronix 2213a?
« on: October 14, 2012, 06:52:23 am »
Just wondering what thoughts were on this analog oscilloscope, going to be picking one up tomorrow for $80. Going to be my first personal oscilloscope and first analog scope I've ever used. Currently in my third year of EE and have only used DSO, thoughts? By the way, really excited!

Offline Dread

• Regular Contributor
Re: anyone have experience with Tektronix 2213a?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2012, 07:23:28 pm »
I have a 2430 which is an analog/DSO and an older 20MHz tek scope which I really liked. Over the years I fixed hundreds of things with both of them.
The really great thing about analog scopes in the hands of "younger players" is that you really learn how to use a scope more than you will with a DSO and you also learn more about electronics as a whole because the scope requires grey matter to get results and the simplicity of operation means more time is spent on your circuit design and less time on playing around with the scope itself.
That is my biggest gripe with these new DSO, you spend more time with the settings than the actual circuit.

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 01:16:20 am by Dread »
The Optimist says the glass is half full, the Pessimist says its half empty, an engineer only see's a glass that’s twice as big as it needs to be!

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 06:30:12 pm »
yeah the main reason i wanted to get the analog oscilloscope was price and experience. At frist i was debating whether i should buy a cheap pocket oscilloscope, but from dave's videos i realized how much noise they produce and how much more beneficial an actual analog oscilloscope would be. Took me a few minutes of tinkering, but I got my new oscilloscope up and working :)

« Last Edit: October 15, 2012, 06:45:23 pm by eengineer »

Offline w2aew

• Super Contributor
  • I usTa cuDnt speL enjinere, noW I aR wuN
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 06:59:48 pm »
Very nice, looks like it's in nice shape!  There's lot of videos on my youtube channel that will take you though the vertical, horizontal and triggering controls that are common to most of these Tek analog scopes.
YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/w2aew
FAE for Tektronix
Technical Coordinator for the ARRL Northern NJ Section

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2012, 01:05:49 am »
oh wow thanks, checking out your videos now!

Offline TriodeTiger

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2012, 04:06:31 am »
Ah, the brother to my 2215:

I wonder what the difference is, being the same bandwidth and AFAICS delayed sweep.

Brilliant scope, if that is a delayed time base control on the bottom right (not sure how that one works, mine is in seconds), you can find frequency to the .05 of a division, rather than "1.something" by eye.

Alexander.
"Yes, I have deliberately traded off robustness for the sake of having knobs." - Dave Jones.

Offline xyloeye

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2012, 10:15:56 pm »
My first scope. It worked great and then went into tick mode (inverter won't start because of probably a short). I think I've narrowed it down to a couple of shorted diodes in the power supply but haven't had time to replace them. I'm using a Tek 465B in like new condition and a Rigol 1052 now. Anyway for the analog audio stuff I normally do, the 2213 is great.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf