Author Topic: Anything to salvage here?  (Read 13010 times)

Offline scoleciteTopic starter

Anything to salvage here?
« on: November 25, 2010, 02:36:57 am »
Hi I'm very new to electronics and this was salvaged from a UPS system. I also saw it was hole through, so Im hoping there is something I can salvage.

1. Is there anything dangerous that I should be aware of. (I have careful with it so far, Im not gonna take any chances)
2. If you could tell me what you would take off this board I would appreciate it?

The two big brown caps say 50V 1000uf. If you have any questions please ask!

Thanks!

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
Re: Anything to salvage here?
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2010, 03:19:00 am »
That looks like the board out of an old UPS that used a ferroresonant transformer. (The new ones use PWM to generate sine waves.) There are no large high voltage capacitors on the board, unlike the newer ones. (There might be a large high voltage capacitor connected to the transformer, just check for voltage using a multimeter before handling.)

As for parts to salvage, the relays and power MOSFETs can be very useful. The ferroresonant transformer itself, if you still have it, can be reused if you can figure out the windings. And the board can be used for soldering/desoldering practice. (Indeed, anything that is not bad can be salvaged. It's just that salvaging small resistors isn't worth the time unless you're going to practice desoldering.)
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2010, 05:46:29 am »
the many legged bugs on there look expensive :o
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2010, 08:06:30 am »
  • all the mosfets
  • relays, looks like one black one and maybe 3 blue ones
  • those two 40A fuses
  • db9 connector
  • red led
  • heatsinks
  • little black speaker/beeper bottom right
-
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline arcom

• Contributor
    • Arc's Lab
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2010, 03:57:30 pm »
In addition to above mentioned parts I would add:
  • all TO-220 devices even if they aren't MOSFETs
  • two bigger brown caps
  • two smaller black caps above 40A fuses
  • brown block cap on the left side (above black relay) and coil above the cap
  • 4-pin connector if you have a male socket with a cable on it

As for the 40-pin bug it looks like a micro from Philips/NXP by the looks of the logo so maybe it can be reflashed.

Offline Mr J

• Regular Contributor
    • Facebook mjssvt
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2010, 05:57:52 pm »
I made my old UPS into a nice bench top triple power supply. Do you have the big transformer, that came in it?

Check out this video as well http://www.afrotechmods.com/reallycheap/UPS/UPS.htm

Offline Mr J

• Regular Contributor
    • Facebook mjssvt
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2010, 06:07:43 pm »
here is the schematic

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2010, 07:07:42 pm »
Check out this video as well http://www.afrotechmods.com/reallycheap/UPS/UPS.htm
scrapped ups circuit due to dead battery? ???
recharging battery without any sensory? screwing the batt? ???
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Mr J

• Regular Contributor
    • Facebook mjssvt
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2010, 04:33:34 am »
scrapped ups circuit due to dead battery? ???
recharging battery without any sensory? screwing the batt? ???

Yep I know, I had the same thing happen to me the battery was dead and it cost more to get a new battery, shipping and time than to buy a whole new UPS at the corner office supply company. The only thing in the video, he didn't specify a voltage. As long as your at the float voltage and about C/3 should be fine for Sealed Lead Acid, Nicads or rechargeable alkaline only, so for this circuit with a 7 ohm resistor (I thought the fuse idea was novel) something around 500mAH (C/3) or 1AH (C/6) battery would fit well for this trickle charger application. For more info please check out http://www.national.com/ds/LM/LM317.pdf page 18 current regulator application. I would also recommend using a regulated power supply to power this circuit, keep the voltage at a constant level.

Also if you need to charge another type of chemistry battery like Lithium ion use a proper charging IC like a MAX8600A, the one in the video I would only use for Sealed Lead Acid, Nicads or rechargeable alkaline.

Offline tyblu

• Frequent Contributor
    • blog.tyblu.ca
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2010, 06:37:23 am »
To tell you the truth, if you're new to electronics, try to desolder everything on the board and salvage whatever you can. It's decent practice for soldering, you get free parts, and you also get to learn what different parts do. ("What's a varistor? A MOV!?")
Tyler Lucas, electronics hobbyist

Offline gushh

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2010, 01:03:58 pm »
To tell you the truth, if you're new to electronics, try to desolder everything on the board and salvage whatever you can. It's decent practice for soldering, you get free parts, and you also get to learn what different parts do. ("What's a varistor? A MOV!?")

Just make sure you're working on a well ventilated area, your health is worth much more than any component you may find in that board.

As a side-note I agree with re-purposing of components or boards, you don't have to be a beginner or a professional for that matter; it's about recycling (the real recycling, none of that "let's separate the paper from the plastic" nonsense they've got going on in some countries where it all ends up in the same landfill).

Offline scoleciteTopic starter

« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2010, 05:37:41 pm »
Thanks guys! I am new so I need as much practice as I can get. Now though thanks to you guys, I know whats probably best to try and save, vs what is more "desolder practice"

Can you guys give any advice on the chips? Ive only messed around with a 555 timer chips. And I programmed a ATmega168 in the Nerdkits kit.

The big chip is a Philips P87C51FB-4N. Logic Function Number:87C51; Memory Size:256 B; Memory Type:RAM; Microprocessor/Controller Features:16000 bytes OTP PROM; No. of Bits:8

ADC0848CCN - 8-Bit uP Compatible A/D Converters with Multiplexer Options - National Semiconductor

UEAV0421

360-2040B

360-2002B

LM324AN Low Power Quad Operational Amplifier

4N25-X009 Optocouplers

Anything cool here???
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 06:47:50 pm by scolecite »

alm

« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2010, 08:31:31 pm »
My $0.02:

The big chip is a Philips P87C51FB-4N. Logic Function Number:87C51; Memory Size:256 B; Memory Type:RAM; Microprocessor/Controller Features:16000 bytes OTP PROM; No. of Bits:8
This is a 8051-type micro controller (like an ATmega168). OTP means one time programmable (like a CD-R), so you can't reprogram it like a modern micro with flash. Even if you could, you would need to have tools like a programmer. Probably useless, except for something like solder practice.

ADC0848CCN - 8-Bit uP Compatible A/D Converters with Multiplexer Options - National Semiconductor
Low end 8-channel analog to digital converter. Looks like a parallel bus, not great for interfacing with modern MCU's that lack an external memory interface, but usable. You could use it if you need more analog inputs than your MCU has available, but have plenty of spare digital pins. Buying a MCU with enough inputs is usually the cheaper solution, though.

LM324AN Low Power Quad Operational Amplifier
Popular quad jellybean op-amp, quite versatile, but pretty cheap.

4N25-X009 Optocouplers
Optocouplers are used when you need galvanic separation, for example in switching power supplies, where the secondary side should be floating relative to the mains, but you want to switch the MOSFET on the mains side.

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2010, 12:33:43 am »
I strongly approve of this message!
If you're just starting I'd recommend buying a couple types of solder wick and at least one solder sucker. Try out as much as you can to see what works best for you.
Plated through hole can be very difficult to desolder, for easier stuff to start with raid a thrift store for something that's more than twenty years old. Older single sided through hole stuff is much easier by comparison with low end tools, i.e. no vacuum desoldering system.

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2010, 02:17:20 pm »
the simple answer is what do you want ? I used to completely strip boards when I could not get parts for love or money. only take off what you need. The resistors and caps are cheap, anything like transistors may be useful.

Offline NiHaoMike

• Super Contributor
  • "Don't turn it on - Take it apart!"
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2010, 03:08:55 pm »
I remember reading that OTP 8051s can be set to run code from external ROM.
Cryptocurrency has taught me to love math and at the same time be baffled by it.

Cryptocurrency lesson 0: Altcoins and Bitcoin are not the same thing.

Offline Zero999

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2010, 09:56:09 am »
X-rays can be used to erase so-called OTP devices so if you know a doctor at the local hospital very well they may be able to help you. ;)

Offline DavidDLC

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2010, 04:43:19 am »
Use the next technique to desolder the stuff !!!

I like it"

http://blog.rhysgoodwin.com/electronics/electronic-component-salvage/

Offline DJPhil

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2010, 05:04:04 am »
Use the next technique to desolder the stuff !!!

I like it"

http://blog.rhysgoodwin.com/electronics/electronic-component-salvage/
This works well when I've tried it, just two things I'd add.

* The mask is a good idea. When all the solder melts at once there's sometimes a big release of flux smoke and burning dust. If in doubt, I'd go outdoors.

* Solder will splash all over the place, way more and way farther than I expected the first time. Be ready for this! It wasn't much of a safety hazard for me, but it did get tracked inside all over the carpet after being spritzed on the concrete outside.

Offline ElektroQuark

• Supporter
    • ElektroQuark
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2010, 07:15:04 am »
I use this method. Just shake the board in a big cardboard box, so the solder can run over the place.

Offline squeezee

• Contributor
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2010, 08:51:07 am »
I basically use this method. Have the pcb in a vise, heating the back side and pulling the components with a pair of pliers or popping/flicking things off with angled tweezers. Although i'll still give a board a good whack on occasion to send things flying.

Regardless of how you do it, it's a good idea to wear safety glasses/goggles, as you will eventually find solder flying at your face.

Offline Murphy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2010, 11:21:21 am »
Solder popper works awesome if you heat from the component side of the board to keep the iron out of the way.

Offline Lance

• Frequent Contributor
  • Resistance if futile if R<1Ohm
« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2010, 07:13:49 pm »
Someone has likely suggested this already, but try and grab heat sinks wherever you can. I have a bin full of various heat sinks that I've pulled off of stuff, and it's incredibly handy to have around.
#include "main.h"
//#include <killallhumans.h>

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf