Author Topic: arduino and TP4056 lipo charger  (Read 3183 times)

Offline mojocorpTopic starter

arduino and TP4056 lipo charger
« on: March 12, 2017, 09:28:16 pm »
Hi,

I'm using the TP4056 lipo charger with the arduino but I need to drill and label 2 holes for the 2 usb connectors in my project case: one for programming the arduino, the other one to charge the battery.

Has anyone some pointers on how to wire in order to use a single usb port to program and charge ?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2017, 10:27:22 pm by mojocorp »

Offline anishkgt

• Frequent Contributor
    • George Hobby
Re: arduino and TP4056 lipo charger
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2017, 10:24:24 pm »
Holes for programming............? Not clear enough. You meant inside a case ? Well the tp4056 got no mounting holes either design your own charger based on the to4055 you already have or just simply hot glue it to the case.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2017, 10:30:03 pm »
Hi, I mean holes for the 2 usb connectors, not mounting holes. I've edited the question to make it more clear.

Offline crazyguy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2017, 12:26:43 am »
TP4056 module only requires 5V input

You want a single usb port to program and charge, connect the TP4056 5V input to your "arduino USB Port" 5V pins

but, during charging the TP4056 may draw 1A current from the USB port, your USB port maybe cannot supply enough current for your "charger" and "ardunio" at the same time. It may affect your arduino module working porperly.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2017, 04:56:00 am »
The TP4056 itself is a self-contained charge system.  The TP4056 can handle all the charge management.

What is the Arduino for?

Do you plan to power the Arduino with the LiPo charged by the TP4056?
-or-
Are you using the Arduino to work with the TP4056 to help it handle charging, show voltage, current, etc?

Which Arduino are you using?

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2017, 09:56:03 am »
>Do you plan to power the Arduino with the LiPo charged by the TP4056?
I'm just trying to power a pro mini 3.3v with a lipo battery, put everything inside a super small case, but keeping the possibility to program and charge without opening the case.

What I don't like in my current implementation is the need for the 2 usb ports, it's bulky when the 2 usb cables are connected, and mechanically problematic: I need to drill 2 holes and fix solidly the arduino and the TP4056 to the case. 2 points of failure. In addition, I cannot place the TP4056 where I want inside the case since the usb port dictate the orientation and position (touching the walls)...

>Are you using the Arduino to work with the TP4056 to help it handle charging, show voltage, current, etc?
No, the TP4056 will just charge the lipo when the external usb is connected.

>Which Arduino are you using?
A pro mini 3.3v, but I may switch to a wemos D1 mini (esp8266) later. Not sure.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2017, 09:59:42 am »
>You want a single usb port to program and charge, connect the TP4056 5V input to your "arduino USB Port" 5V pins

Do you mean "super fine" soldering directly on the usb connector pins on the arduino pcb ? I thought about it but hum, I was hoping for a simpler solution.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2017, 05:49:34 pm »
>Do you plan to power the Arduino with the LiPo charged by the TP4056?
I'm just trying to power a pro mini 3.3v with a lipo battery, put everything inside a super small case, but keeping the possibility to program and charge without opening the case.

What I don't like in my current implementation is the need for the 2 usb ports, it's bulky when the 2 usb cables are connected, and mechanically problematic: I need to drill 2 holes and fix solidly the arduino and the TP4056 to the case. 2 points of failure. In addition, I cannot place the TP4056 where I want inside the case since the usb port dictate the orientation and position (touching the walls)...

>Are you using the Arduino to work with the TP4056 to help it handle charging, show voltage, current, etc?
No, the TP4056 will just charge the lipo when the external usb is connected.

>Which Arduino are you using?
A pro mini 3.3v, but I may switch to a wemos D1 mini (esp8266) later. Not sure.

First:

I hope you realize that some ProMini is not equipped with USB-Serial.  Some ProMini board has a mini USB socket just for power from the USB but not to communicate via it as well.
See here: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoProMini

I assume you are using some kind of TP4056 board since it has a USB mini.

The easiest way would be just to connect the V+ and V- of the two USB plugs right on the plug's pins.  You know typical USB outlet from say your PC has a 500mA limit and typical 4056 boards I've seen (just four of them) has it set to 1A.  So you should check what your 4056 current limit set to.  1A plus the consumption for the pro mini would probably be pushing it, but not too bad.

The better way would (in my view) be installing your own USB extension inside the box.  An exposed miniUSB-socket (to plug in from the outside) with two miniUSB-jacks on the inside for the pro-Mini and the TP4056.  Since your pro-mini USB and TP4056 are using USB purely for power, both jacks needs only two wires to connect only V+/GND.  With such arrangement, you can unplug either board should there be a need and not have the boards actually tied together by the power wires.

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2017, 06:12:05 pm »
>I hope you realize that some ProMini is not equipped with USB-Serial.  Some ProMini board has a mini USB socket just for power >from the USB but not to communicate via it as well.
>See here: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/ArduinoProMini

Ah yes sorry, I mean Pro micro, not mini, but anyway, I need a more general solution. I was hoping for a trick using vin and vout from the arduino but ok, I will solder some wire directly on the usb connector.

Thanks for your help!.

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2017, 06:19:53 pm »
Oh great, I just realized after your comment about the pro mini that I could effectively use a Pro mini without usb and add a tiny usb to serial adapter where v+ and gnd have proper solder pads !!
I think it's the cleanest solution so far.
Thanks !

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf