Author Topic: arduino measuring 4-20ma what kinda precision  (Read 13081 times)

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
Re: arduino measuring 4-20ma what kinda precision
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2016, 01:27:15 pm »
So I’m think you want me to put some numbers on what I’m looking for ?

so in terms off precision assuming the sensor was 100% accurate something like 1data point / pr 1 cm  in other word 8meter - 0.4m(sensor dead zone) = 7.6 m = 760 data points

Since i'm no engineer just pure hobby the circuit design and calculation need to be simple and straight forward

If you want about 760 data points, then you're looking at a 10 bit converter (1024 counts).

So here is a simple question, have you hooked up a DMM in Ammeter mode to the supply line of this thing, and directly powered it from a DC supply? Can you confirm basic operation of the device by adjusting height and verifying a reading change on your DMM?

Offline simondidTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2016, 01:34:16 pm »
So here is a simple question, have you hooked up a DMM in Ammeter mode to the supply line of this thing, and directly powered it from a DC supply? Can you confirm basic operation of the device by adjusting height and verifying a reading change on your DMM?

no i havent i don't have acces to a 14v+ power supply atm i goth one in order on ebay but you know like 30+ delivery

Offline XFDDesign

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2016, 03:22:09 pm »

no i havent i don't have acces to a 14v+ power supply atm i goth one in order on ebay but you know like 30+ delivery
Stack two 9V batteries in series?

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2016, 03:47:10 pm »
Just going to more bits may not increase the accuracy.  Every instrument will have some drift and noise associated with it.  If this does measure distance  as said in the prior post, I doubt that it is that accurate or repeatable.  Distance measured with an analog signal is seldom accurate. 1000 data points should be about the limit for this kind of device.  The number of data points needed for the entire length should have been the first thing figured out.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf