Author Topic: Burning/Converting VOB files with subtitles to DVD?  (Read 15299 times)

Offline TRAPTRAPTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
Re: Burning/Converting VOB files with subtitles to DVD?
« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2014, 11:16:10 pm »
Can HandBrake upload VOB files I've ALREADY ripped, because if it can't, then it won't work if I have to rip it into Handbrake, as my subs WON'T be edited.

As another user stated, HandBrake can't move subs UPWARD!

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: September 27, 2014, 12:34:36 am »
I haven't tried this so I hope it works:

Here is an instructable on how to rip and burn a copy of DVD movies:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Rip%2c-Burn%2c-Copy-DVD-Movies---The-best%2c-simplest-wa/?ALLSTEPS

On the DVDShrink you might need to force subtitles:

http://www.dvdshrink.info/forcing_subs.php

Move the subtitles with the tool you've been using (forgot the name now)

Then resume the instructable above to burn the copy with DVD Decryptor into a blank DVD.

I haven't used any of these tools but seems this will do the trick.

Keep it simple and use the settings in the instructable, later you can start playing with compression/quality etc.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: September 28, 2014, 12:52:23 am »
Any luck with DVD Shrink (or Any DVD) then DVD subedit to move the subtitles and finally DVD Decryptor to burn the VIDEO_TS back into an unprotected DVD?

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 02, 2014, 04:14:33 am »
@TRAPTRAP,

Any luck with the suggestions?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: October 02, 2014, 10:05:48 pm »
I got HandBrake to work after I've worked on DVDSubEdit, only for WHATEVER reason, the subtitles have turned from WHITE to BLACK. They were embedded to the video, but it makes no sense to me why this would happen? I certainly did NOT set any color command. Any ideas?

I haven't tried DVDShrink yet, but that's next in the next few days. Thanks AGAIN everyone, this is the most helpful forum I've EVER visited! :-+
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 11:48:48 pm by TRAPTRAP »

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2014, 01:31:51 am »
Thanks AGAIN everyone, this is the most helpful forum I've EVER visited! :-+

You are welcome, but be aware that engineers both software and hardware can be helpful but sometimes we turn into pricks :)

None of us like to be wrong which makes an interesting dynamic when software and hardware people interact with each other in the same project, but the veterans are better at dealing with this dilemma and not taking things too personal.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2014, 04:44:27 am »
 :-DD LOL, I'll keep that in mind!

I'll get back to you soon, on DVDShrink and so on, when I try it to see if it to see if it will work or not, better than HandBrake.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2014, 04:08:21 am »
I can't get DVDShrink to download properly on my PC. Do I need a certain Windows? Can it up load VOB files?

I DID get HandBrake to work. It uploaded my ripped VOB files, and was able to save the file as an MP4. It was able to imprint the subtitles with the video, but for some reason the subtitles were black on the finished MP4 file. The subtitles were white, and I didn't switch them at all. If someone can answer this and solve how to keep the subtitles EXACTLY as they were, then this problem is solved, and you all successfully helped me finish this project.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2014, 04:37:16 am »
After I uploaded the VOB's I selected ADD subtitle, under that I selected the subtitle file "unknown VOB file", then I used "BURNED IN". If I don't do burned in, from testing I see that the subtitles aren't saved. Using those options made the subtitles a complete solid black, unreadable.

Offline miguelvp

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2014, 04:40:10 am »
See if in our DVDSubEdit step you can change the color or the background of the subtitles. It might not be a HandBrake problem but a DVDSubEdit one.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2014, 04:53:48 am »
I switched the black backround (which was there) off, but they still turned black after the conversion. I tested to see if I turned the black backround yellow if it would turn the subs yellow instead of black, but it still turned black.

I was sure that'd it work too.

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 08, 2014, 08:41:28 pm »
If these are vob subs in the .sub + .idx form, it doesn't matter whether it's mkv or mp4, those are just container formats, both can hold subtitles.

If you're having problems with colors, try converting the vob subs to .srt. It's easier to deal with .srt, but either should work. An .srt file is plain text, there's no way to get the colors screwed up because that's all controlled by the playback application. I've never had problems putting either type into .mp4 files with Handbrake.

As far as subtitles go, "forced" has nothing to do with what you want. Subs are either "soft" or "burned in".

"Burned in" makes them part of the actual video stream, they can't be removed later or turned off, nor can you reposition them or change colors, etc. They are "hard-coded".

"Soft" means they are in a separate "stream", a sub section of the container file. The playback application controls position, colors, font, etc. If you have a subtitle stream and set it to "default", this means it will automatically be on when the video plays. If it's not set as default, you won't see the subs until you turn them on manually.

« Last Edit: October 08, 2014, 10:22:01 pm by rdl »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 08, 2014, 09:26:11 pm »
I'm going to try the MKV save format that you suggested, Wilfred. I'll get back to you all in a little while to tell you if it worked.

I'm not sure how exactly I'd go about converting them into .SRT, because I have to use DVDSubEdit first, unless someone knows a program that will accept VOB's, and convert the subtitles to .SRT from there?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2014, 10:33:50 pm »
No, saving it as an MKV didn't work. The subs were still black. Are there any other options I should select in specific other than "burn in" on HandBrake that would help?

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2014, 10:42:15 pm »
Don't use "burn in", that's not what you want.

It took me about 17 seconds to find out that DVDSubEdit claims to be able to convert a .vob file iinto an .srt using OCR. I suggest you go read about it and give it a try. This is the way to do subs..

Once you have an .srt, just import it, then add it in Handbrake. It might be a good idea to spell check it first. OCR isn't always perfect.

No, saving it as an MKV didn't work. The subs were still black. Are there any other options I should select in specific other than "burn in" on HandBrake that would help?

Offline Kredenet

« Reply #40 on: July 28, 2017, 03:43:41 am »
Sir, it seems that you know about DVD burning and ripping a lot.  Could you please tell me what happened in the ripping process.
I met a strange problem when using a DVD ripper weeks ago. I download from this site : http://www.videoconverterfactory.com/tips/vob-to-mp4.html, a dvdconverter. My original DVD is 29.9fps 720p. This software claims to changet it o 1080p 60fps. I bought it and tried times. By comparison, i could tell no differences between the output video and the original DVD file. I wonder whether it is really true for those 60fps converter? Since I know frame rate means the number of pictures flashing by per seconds when it is playing. The number should has been fixed. How could it be possible to increase frame rate to 60 if the video size is not changed.?
Another question is that I recently use handbrake to copy a dvd, but it failed says no valid source found. I find this thread : https://www.howtogeek.com/102886/how-to-decrypt-dvds-with-hardbrake-so-you-can-rip-them/ somebody says it is copyright protection? I downloaded libdvdcss for handbrake, but the "no valid source found" still exists

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #41 on: July 28, 2017, 04:42:24 am »
So I've successfully edited my subtitles on DVDSubEdit. Now, I need to know if/ how I can burn them as a VOB (which is what they were when I ripped them from a DVD), or convert them to a file that will retain the subtitles and be able to burn to a DVD Disc.

I've converted the VOB files to MPEG II and MP4's, but the subtitles are gone!

Can anyone help with this? The users here have been INCREDIBLY helpful with this process! Thanks!

First, you do not need to "export" to mpeg just to re-burn the DVDSubEdit modified VOBs.  Once you are done moving the subtitles around (which I do often probably for the same reason you do - hearing the conversation is at times difficult), as long as your VIDEO_TS directly is not changed, something like Nero can burn that VIDEO_TS directory with modified VOB back onto disc directly.

Second, It was said in earlier replies that VOB is just a container, but judging from your follow up questions, you are confused by the implication of VOB being just a container.

The MPEG video "file" is stored in the container and Subtitles are sub-pictures also stored stored as video in different "files" within the same VOB container; as are the different audio tracks.

When you export the VOB to MPEG/MP4, it exports only the mpeg video "file" but not the overlay sub-picture video "file".  So, when you extract the mpeg video, the movie-video itself never had the subtitles in it to begin with, so it will not be on your extract.

To include the subpicture in the main picture, the exporter will actually have to render the main mpeg, then it has to render the subpicture overlay onto the movie frame, then pass that frame to the video compression processes.  I am sure you can find video tools that can do that, but that is really not an export but re-rendering tool.  I am sure you can find one that do (Adobe Premier v1.5 which I use can do that).  But, as I said earlier, you can just re-burn that whole VIDEO_TS structure with the modified VOB so you don't really need to extract it to mpg to remake the DVD.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: July 28, 2017, 04:48:29 am »
Second, It was said in earlier replies that VOB is just a container, but judging from your follow up questions, you are confused by the implication of VOB being just a container.

He may have been confused 3 years ago. Then again, he might have sorted it out by now ;)

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: July 28, 2017, 07:58:34 am »
There's no way to actually change 720p to 1080p or get more frames per second than were there originally. Any software that claims to do this is just resizing the original and inserting extra duplicate frames. It can't look any better than the original and may look worse, and on top of that the file size will probably be much larger than necessary. Using Handbrake to rip the DVD while keeping the original size and frame rate is the best way to go. DVDs are usually encrypted, so you have to deal with that, but it's not that difficult. Video players such as VLC that can rescale any size original to play full screen.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #44 on: July 29, 2017, 01:49:28 am »

He may have been confused 3 years ago. Then again, he might have sorted it out by now ;)

Ahem, actually, I did not notice the OP was that old.  I read the thread with latest replies, and went to the OP for the original story...

Well, just so I do not feel a total waste of time, I hope others may benefit from that little write up.

Offline BradC

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: July 29, 2017, 02:55:54 am »
Well, just so I do not feel a total waste of time, I hope others may benefit from that little write up.

Actually I did, so thanks for the fortuitous blunder :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf