Author Topic: An otherwise simple circuit with complicating factors (low power design)  (Read 1252 times)

Offline GarthyDTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
    • Adventures in Electronics
I was wondering if I could gather some thoughts on what would normally be a fairly simple circuit if not for some rather difficult complicating factors. The circuit so far is here:

The basic idea is that when NPWRENL is high we essentially connect one line (SSS0) to a shared interrupt line (INTPT), and then that interrupt line (INTPT) to one side of a button (BUT0). The other side of the button is connected to ground. When we press the button with NPWRENL high, both lines are driven low. Note that current only has to flow one way. Unfortunately there are some complicating factors. These are:

- The particular bit of this circuit governs the interaction between an MCU (SAM4S), CPLD (Max V) and one button in a deep sleep mode. So power use is a major issue.

- In the deep sleep mode, the MCU is powered, but is in backup mode (essentially an ultra-low power mode for the SAM4S MCU) in which it can still output signals, and can only be woken via certain pins.

- In deep sleep mode, the CPLD is unpowered, having had its power removed by a pair of P-channel MOSFETs (also driven by NPWRENL at the gate). I could add a N-channel MOSEFT at ground too if it helps.

- NPWRENL will be greater than 3V via a 47k pullup when we are in deep sleep mode, or connected directly to ground when we are not.

- INTPT is a line read by the MCU when there is an interrupt state. The MCU pulls it high, and any device that wants to talk to the MCU pulls it low. INTPT goes to an external header and could be connected to absolutely *anything*, and such a device may signal a wakeup by driving the line low. It is also connected to the CPLD. I would like INTPT to rouse the MCU out of deep sleep mode.

- INTPT is connected to a MCU pin that cannot wake the MCU from backup mode, so I am trying to hook it up to a pin that can, but only in deep sleep mode (top part of the circuit). SSS0 was selected as the best option for now. Every single pin that can wake has a tradeoff. I can change the pin if it gives me too many problems.

- When outside of deep sleep mode, SSS0 has a completely different purpose- it is essentially a slave select line for SPI communication. Whatever I come up with, it needs to continue to function when not in deep sleep mode. SSS0 is connected to both the MCU and CPLD.

- I want the button to generate an interrupt (drive INTPT low), but only when in deep sleep mode. This is the reason for the lower part of the circuit. By connecting to BUT0, when the button is pressed, INTP will be shorted to ground.

- BUT0 is connected to the CPLD, but not the MCU. It is normally read via the CPLD, which will be unpowered in deep sleep mode.

- This part of the circuit still needs to operate using low power, even when not in deep sleep mode. The reason is that this mode is just the lowest of a few sleep modes.

- NPWRENL can be as high as 5.5V briefly, which will damage the MCU or CPLD if connected directly. Thus I need to keep it connected to gates or add another MOSFET to get around it.

- I am concerned the CPLD might try to pinch power that it finds on its I/O lines, which is important due to this being used to implement an ultra-low-power deep sleep mode. INTP, SSS0, and BUT0 *all* reach CPLD I/O pins. The MAX V handbook strongly suggests (under s4 "Hot-Socketing Specifications) that signal pins won't drive the power supplies. However I went and measured it anyway, and if there are any pullups connected to I/Os it seems to feed off of them (current was shown exiting ground pins). This will probably complicate the eventual solution.

- There does also exist a PWRENL directly connected to the MCU if needed (it drives an NMOS which controls NPWRENL).

I do have some flexibility to change my approach if needed to solve the problem. Beyond a certain point (about 6uA) it makes sense to just leave the CPLD connected the whole time and wear the power loss. However, the MCU can (apparently) get down to 1uA, and it would be nice to get close to that.

Or, perhaps there already exists a low power part that you can attach near a battery that you can signal to shut off power, and it sits and waits until you ground a certain input pin before it enables it again. I have a reset supervisor watching the battery voltage and switching a PMOS to isolate the battery if the voltage is too low. I could instead focus on that part of the circuit instead. There is a mild downside to that approach with respect to the MCU, but I can work around it, especially if it provides a superior solution on the power front.

Input most welcome.

• Regular Contributor
A quick update:

I've also added in a power sense line (PWRSENS) that generates an interrupt in a similar way to the button (it's for a USB device, and an interrupt on plugging in the device is appropriate). It is open drain and connected to the MCU only, so it is easier to deal with than the button.

I don't want to complicate the initial question further, but I thought I'd best leave this addition here for reference:

EDIT: Update 2:

Good news everyone. :) I've just been experimenting with the CPLD. Whilst the CPLD normally goes berserk and powers itself through I/O if you disconnect the power sources (actually *increasing* current consumption), I have found a sequence that seems to work reliably: Remove 3V3, wait more than two seconds, then remove 1V8. Current consumption then drops to around 0.1uA (hard to tell exactly, that's the last digit on my MM). Get it wrong though, and it shoots up near 1mA, depending on configuration. Change any pullups in the low power state, and the device goes crazy again. Now I'd normally guess discharging caps, but the only ones between the switch and CPLD are 100nF ones, so I'd say their power management circuitry is a bit flaky. It seems there is also a power on sequence as well (3V3 then 1V8), but the delay is much shorter (I'm guessing under 250ms). The device seems to lock up if you get this wrong, but you can turn it off using the first sequence, and restore it again after. End result: By controlling the power up/down sequence with two MCU pins, I can stop the CPLD drawing power through pullups connected to I/O.

Input still most welcome. :)
« Last Edit: July 28, 2017, 10:59:31 pm by GarthyD »

• Regular Contributor
Okay, I've had another attempt, and this seems relatively promising:

To simplify it I've renamed some of the labels to make their purpose clearer.

DSEN: High when in deep sleep mode.
DSWAKE: The spare line being used. In deep sleep mode it is an input. Otherwise it is used for communication.
DSVCC: VCC that is available in deep sleep mode.

I've also put together a simulation. This was mostly for my benefit as I still find a lot of this stuff very difficult. If you're interested:

http://tinyurl.com/y8wx7pad

If this doesn't work, download this file:

http://www.entropicsoftware.com/aie/sat/interrupt-override-sim.txt

And then import it into here:

http://www.falstad.com/circuit/circuitjs.html

File, import from local file, then select the download file.

To use:

- The default state is not in deep sleep mode. Simulated traffic is sent along DSWAKE. Note the blinking wake indicator in the bottom right, indicating the state of DSWAKE.

- To enter deep sleep mode, find the four switches marked with stars, and flick them up. DSWAKE will be high and stay there. The indicator will stay on. Now, flick one of the BUT0, INTPT, and PWRSENS switches. It will drive DSWAKE low, turning the wake indicator off. This is the signal to exit deep sleep mode.

- To exit deep sleep mode, flick all four star switches back down. Notice now that BUT0, INTPT, and PWRSENS now have little effect on DSWAKE.

It's still a work in progress but it does seem to achieve the goal of low power use in deep sleep mode, allowing detection of wakeup conditions, and letting the DSWAKE line be used for other purposes when not in deep sleep mode.

If you went as far as downloading the simulation file and trying it out, thankyou. :) I hope it was as fun to play with as it was to make.

Anyway, as always, open to any suggestions, input, or better ways to approach things.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 07:58:44 am by GarthyD »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf