Author Topic: Arduino Starter Kit for a newb - is it a good idea?  (Read 5535 times)

Offline Caio Negri

• Contributor
Re: Arduino Starter Kit for a newb - is it a good idea?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2017, 02:23:13 pm »
None of those seem to come with guides, so you will inevitably have to look for schematics and videos online about each module. If you have zero experience and want a soft start I'd recommend one of the kits from Arduino itself or Adafruit/Seeedstudio, they have plenty of examples with both written and video guides. You pay the price for convinience, of course.

https://store.arduino.cc/product/GKX00007
https://www.seeedstudio.com/ARDX-The-starter-kit-for-Arduino-p-1153.html
"Start where you are, use what you have, do what you can." - Arthur Ashe

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 02:33:44 pm »
The first two have Arduino clones with SMD ATmega328P chips - make a mistake with the wiring and you could easily blow the chip and would have to replace the whole Arduino.

The third  kit has an Arduino (probably a clone) with a socketed DIP ATmega328P.  You can buy replacement chips preloaded with the Arduino bootloader and replace it if it blows.  If you plan ahead so you have a working Arduino available you can also buy the more readily available blank ATmega328P chips and use the ArduinoISP sketch to load them with the Arduino bootloader.   You can also transfer the chip to your own projects after testing with an Arduino/breadboard hookup - as long as you have a replacement  with a bootloader to make the Arduino usable again.  Also, with the chip removed, the Arduino will act as a USB <=> 5V logic level serial port adapter.   The breadboard protoshield is also nice to have - for small projects its far more compact to sit everything directly on top o the Arduino, and the extra space is also useful if you've filled up the seperate breadboard.  Also its battery pack is going to be far far cheaper to run than the kits with a PP3 clip, as it uses AAs which are the cheapest small batteries (in cost per Joule terms) available - Poundland usually stocks 6 Kodack brand AA Alkalines for £1.

OTOH the first two kits have more sensors, and the second kit has a handy box.

None of them have what I would regard as a good selection of parts for general experimentation.  A selection of E12 resistors, capacitors, transistors (including some 2N7000 MOSFETs), diodes etc. and a couple of rail-to-rail OPAAMPs and CMOS 555 timers  would be a worthwhile addition, as would some logic chips e.g 74HC595 (8 bit SIPO shift register) as a SPI  output expander and 74HC165 (8 bit PISO shift register) as a SPI input expander for the Arduino.  You'll also need basic hand tools - miniature pliers and sidecutters, small flat bladed screwdriver for screw terminals, presets and levering chips out of breadboards, and a multimeter.

More breadboard space is also good - as soon as you are sure your interest in electronics and Arduinos isn't just transient, a three panel breadboard on a baseplate with binding posts for hooking up multimeters or bench PSUs is a worthwhiloe investment.

You can bet the tutorials supplied (if any) with any of the kits are going to be crap.  If you get stuck, ask, as there's probably a better one someone can point you at.

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 03:28:10 pm »
You can't even buy the Arduino UNO for the price of that kit:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/11224

So, yes, it's a good deal.  Even if just for the parts...

It would be nice if there were tutorials for the IR decoder project and things like that and maybe there are.  Even so, most of them are poorly written so if you have questions, post them here or in one of the Arduino forums.

Offline RissViss

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2017, 05:11:44 pm »
Hello

Just got this Arduino kit in from this company.
https://www.amazon.ca/Elegoo-Project-Complete-Starter-Tutorial/dp/B01M9CHF1J/ref=pd_cp_147_2?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=M0HH61SBQYRMCPJ7W69H
The kit comes with a CD with software and projects.
Everything in the kit is very well packaged.
There was more in the kit then what is listed on Amazon, things like the resisters are not listed.
You can go to there website and download the latest projects.
Even if you do not purchase this kit you can go to Elegoo and download there projects and software.
Nice kit with the fast shipping and backing of a company for software, I was impressed when I opened the box and felt that I got my moneys worth.

They have other kits that are less expensive.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=Elegoo+UNO+R3+Project+Complete+Starter+Kit+with+Tutorial+for+Arduino+UNO+%2863+Items%29+%282016+Updated+Version%29+
Found this list on Amazon UK

Have fun with Arduino.

Offline kosine

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2017, 06:07:53 pm »
Your flag puts you in the UK, so maybe go visit your closest hackspace: http://www.hackspace.org.uk/

A lot of them run Arduino workshops.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2017, 06:11:03 pm »
The first two have Arduino clones with SMD ATmega328P chips - make a mistake with the wiring and you could easily blow the chip and would have to replace the whole Arduino.

The third  kit has an Arduino (probably a clone) with a socketed DIP ATmega328P.  You can buy replacement chips preloaded with the Arduino bootloader and replace it if it blows.  If you plan ahead so you have a working Arduino available you can also buy the more readily available blank ATmega328P chips and use the ArduinoISP sketch to load them with the Arduino bootloader.   You can also transfer the chip to your own projects after testing with an Arduino/breadboard hookup - as long as you have a replacement  with a bootloader to make the Arduino usable again.  Also, with the chip removed, the Arduino will act as a USB <=> 5V logic level serial port adapter.   The breadboard protoshield is also nice to have - for small projects its far more compact to sit everything directly on top o the Arduino, and the extra space is also useful if you've filled up the seperate breadboard.  Also its battery pack is going to be far far cheaper to run than the kits with a PP3 clip, as it uses AAs which are the cheapest small batteries (in cost per Joule terms) available - Poundland usually stocks 6 Kodack brand AA Alkalines for £1.

OTOH the first two kits have more sensors, and the second kit has a handy box.

None of them have what I would regard as a good selection of parts for general experimentation.  A selection of E12 resistors, capacitors, transistors (including some 2N7000 MOSFETs), diodes etc. and a couple of rail-to-rail OPAAMPs and CMOS 555 timers  would be a worthwhile addition, as would some logic chips e.g 74HC595 (8 bit SIPO shift register) as a SPI  output expander and 74HC165 (8 bit PISO shift register) as a SPI input expander for the Arduino.  You'll also need basic hand tools - miniature pliers and sidecutters, small flat bladed screwdriver for screw terminals, presets and levering chips out of breadboards, and a multimeter.

More breadboard space is also good - as soon as you are sure your interest in electronics and Arduinos isn't just transient, a three panel breadboard on a baseplate with binding posts for hooking up multimeters or bench PSUs is a worthwhiloe investment.

You can bet the tutorials supplied (if any) with any of the kits are going to be crap.  If you get stuck, ask, as there's probably a better one someone can point you at.

+1 with everything Ian.M said.

Plus, the price is not bad.  Some of those items may be fun after you gained some experience.  However, most of them would be rather difficult get going for someone starting.

To start, the LEDs, resistors, would be rather useful.  Next step is to get the 1602 (16x2) LCD going.  The other items such as the small motor, the potentiometer, the jumpers, the breadboards, the tac switches, and a perhaps a few other small items could follow as you get more experienced.

By the way, do expect to blow some of the items due to mistakes while learning.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2017, 08:22:30 pm »
I'd also invest in an I2C backpack for the LCD. e.g. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/IIC-I2C-TWI-LCD-1602-2004-PCF8574T-Board-Module-Port-Serial-Interface-Arduino-/132021758260 - Its always useful to be able to free up Arduino pins and the number of wires required for HD44780 4 bit mode is a PITA unless you get a LCD shield.

Another thing you need is a couple of meters of Ethernet cable - the solid core stuff for permanent installations, not stranded patchcord, that you can cut up for breadboard jumpers of exactly the length you need, colour coded by function.  Even better is 25 pair phone cable/comms riser cable - more colour combos to choose from.

Just make sure any cables you use are real copper, not copper plated steel or Aluminum.  Plated steel can be checked for with a strong magnet - in the middle of premade jumpers as the end pins may be plated steel, but to detect Aluminum you need to strip a length and do a flame test:

Its best to use premade jumpers to go from the Arduino to the breadboard because Cat5 wire is slightly too thin for a reliable connection at the Arduino end, but it saves a *LOT* of mess on the breadboard to use neatly cut to length preshaped rigid jumper wire.

One thing I haven't mentioned is a baseboard - its a heck of a lot easier if you've got one of the plastic base clips that genuine Arduino UNOs come with  screwed down to a small sheet of 1/4" ply next to the breadboard.  Leave space for attaching displays and controls - either on brackets bent up out of sheet Aluminum, screwed directly down with a long cheese head woodscrew through an unthreaded plastic standoff pillar or worst case if there's no mounting holes, stuck down with 3M VHB double sided foam tape. 

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2017, 10:57:47 pm »
I wouldn't worry about blowing the chip. Arduino clones from China are available for about the price of the bare AVR, sometimes even less. I don't even know how they get them so cheap, I have some of the nano ones I got for under $2 shipped.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2017, 04:54:45 am »
Then you have to wait for the slow boat from China if you have an unlucky moment's lapse of concentration.   Personally, I'd rather pay a little extra up front and have spares for stuff I'm breadboarding with.  If its under two bucks, I'll probably buy two or three, then a single spare up to five bucks and above that I have to start being really careful.

Of course you are welcome to ignore this advice, and it may even be good for your soul as an exercise in dealing with frustration waiting for parts and chasing around parcel depots if you missed the delivery.

Offline james_s

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2017, 08:19:47 pm »
So buy a handful of them right off the bat, then you've got spares in case you blow something up or want to integrate one into a project. It's really not a big deal.

Offline Rick Law

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2017, 05:26:27 am »
By the way, do expect to blow some of the items due to mistakes while learning.

So buy a handful of them right off the bat, then you've got spares in case you blow something up or want to integrate one into a project. It's really not a big deal.

Agree that it is not a big deal for one with some experience.  Speaking as a relatively inexperience guy, a new guy needs to be "better prepared" that stuff do blow.  When I was even more inexperience than now, I was unprepared to deal with it.

I have the habit of buying (low cost stuff) in pairs.  But when I first got into it, I was not sure I want to do it so I got only one (UNO R3).  I actually blew my first MCU.  While I could order a bare MCU, I had nothing to burn the Arduino boot loader on it.  That minor thing caused me a couple of months to get back on track.

If you can afford it, buying in pair is not a bad thing.  You can always compare results to determine what is wrong.

Now I have spare MCUs, and a dedicated NANO to do ISP.  I also have a bunch of NANOs on hand, etc. etc. etc.  Now the same problem would not cause me more than an hour.

The following users thanked this post: Ian.M

Offline anshul

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2021, 10:17:36 am »
Hey i am also searching for  starter kits in arduino for newb like me...But i did not find best answer..After googling so long got this post may be useful for newb like me.
https://bestarduinokits.com/starter-kits/
 i found that elegoo kits are available at low cost and many  kits were available from this brand.But 2-3 are useful for beginners.This post gave its from other brands also.But personally i liked elegoo and sunfounder.

Offline brucehoult

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2021, 11:34:28 am »
I wouldn't worry about blowing the chip. Arduino clones from China are available for about the price of the bare AVR, sometimes even less. I don't even know how they get them so cheap, I have some of the nano ones I got for under $2 shipped.

The ATMega328 is pretty robust as microcontrollers go. It can handle shorting an output pin to either gnd or Vcc. As long as you're not playing with more voltage than that near it you should be fine. I've certainly never managed to blow one up. I've made LEDs go pop though.

I've found the elegoo ones to be fine (both Uno and Mega), and very reasonably priced.

Offline Electro Fan

• Super Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2021, 01:11:06 pm »
Hello, I would like to learn how to program and set up basic stuff with Arduino. I have no previous experience with any kinds of electronic stuff or programming. So here is my question:
Is any of these three starter kits suitable for a newb?

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FREE-shiping-UNO-KIT-Upgraded-version-of-the-For-Starter-Kit-the-RFID-learn-Suite-Stepper/1207150873.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.42.31846X&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_9_71_72_73_74_75,searchweb201527_2,searchweb201560_9

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FREE-shiping-UNO-R3-KIT-Upgraded-version-of-the-For-arduino-Starter-Kit-the-RFID-learn/1383976780.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.52.31846X&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_9_71_72_73_74_75,searchweb201527_2,searchweb201560_9

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Starter-Kit-for-arduino-Uno-R3-Uno-R3-Breadboard-and-holder-Step-Motor-Servo-1602-LCD/32270005109.html?spm=2114.01020208.3.103.31846X&ws_ab_test=searchweb201556_9_71_72_73_74_75,searchweb201527_2,searchweb201560_9

Thanks in advance!

Getting a kit is tempting but I think there might be another approach for someone with no previous experience in electronics or programming.

As an aside, while this is the beginners forum I think you might find that the advice comes from a spectrum of people - some who are also getting started and who are also enthusiastic but who might not know some of what they haven’t discovered yet, all the way out to people who are well beyond a beginner and who have lots of knowledge and experience but who maybe sometimes aren’t giving themselves full credit for what a steep curve they have overcome to become very proficient with programming or/and electronics.

In the middle might be another approach that says the parts and kits can bring various combinations of useful parts and various levels of cost effectiveness for those parts but rather than focusing on the parts it might be better to find a curriculum that will take you along a learning curve that will take into account your need to balance the electronics learning with the programming learning.  This is important because both the hardware and the software can become deep enough fast enough to cause some head scratching confusion.  A little confusion can be a very healthy challenge now and then that leads to some inspiring “ah ha!” moments but I think you will have plenty of those opportunities no matter what path you take.

Long story short, I’d suggest you take a look at starting here:

https://learn.adafruit.com/series/learn-arduino

These are a series of lessons that will help you progress from the very beginning and each step of the way you will get exposed to how the programming and the electronics work individually and together.  For each tutorial you will get the code and clear wiring diagrams and a parts list and an explanation of what is relevant to the project and fundamental to Arduinos from both software and electrical standpoints.

For the first several projects you will wind up buying the few parts you need for each project but they will be fairly inexpensive and while it won’t be quite as inexpensive on a per part basis as some kits it also won’t include some parts you might never use - and more importantly it will use your time more directly in a guided process and it will give you a pretty high probability of getting off to a successful start on a solid foundation of the basics for both software and hardware.  After 5-10 of the tutorials you will probably feel comfortable about going off on a less guided path toward whatever catches your imagination and at that point you can sort through the many kits on Amazon or elsewhere based on interests you develop.  Along the way as you get your footing and have questions this beginners forum and maybe some other other forums here will be a great place to ask specific questions about both software and hardware/electronics/electricity.

Either way or any way you go - Enjoy the journey!  It can take you toward the intersection and epicenter of analog and digital.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2021, 01:33:30 pm by Electro Fan »

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2021, 01:18:10 pm »
Beginners *DO* manage to blow semiconductors, usually in ways experienced techs don't expect, *BECAUSE* they are experienced and avoiding exceeding datasheet Abs. Max. limits has become almost instinctual to them.    Fortunately the better brands of Arduino Uno (clone) starter kits have socketed ATMega328P chips, so as I said above, buying a spare chip, either preprogrammed with the Arduino bootloader or 'factory fresh', then programming it yourself as soon as you can, can save you hours, days or even weeks of frustration.   See https://www.arduino.cc/en/Tutorial/BuiltInExamples/ArduinoToBreadboard

N.B. you'll also need a 16MHz crystal and a couple of load capacitors for it (as per tutorial) , otherwise the first time you program the fuses to use an external clock source will lock you out, until you can put that ATMega328P in a board with a functioning crystal or external clock.

Since I posted in this topic back in 2017, I've treated myself to Elegoo's Arduino Mega 2560 'Most Complete' starter kit:
https://www.elegoo.com/collections/mega-2560-starter-kits/products/elegoo-mega-2560-the-most-complete-starter-kit
and also their 37 in 1 sensor modules kit:
https://www.elegoo.com/collections/electronic-component-kits/products/elegoo-37-in-1-sensor-kit
because I wanted extras of some of the modules, and it saved me much time that would have been wasted sourcing them individually.

Other things (NOT in the kit) I recommend are a DC jack to 2x plugs Y cable so you can power the Arduino and the breadboard 5V/3.3V regulator module from the 9V PSU simultaneously, and a 6xAA battery holder, either with a DC jack plug lead fitted to it, or with PP3 battery snaps so you can use the Elegoo lead, so you can use cheap dollar store AA alkaline cells rather than expensive PP3 9V batteries.  However, note the sustained short circuit current of 6x AA alkalines is *MUCH* higher than that of a PP3, so if you are at all unsure of your circuit that needs an external 9V supply, try it with a PP3 first.  If you short a 6x AA battery pack in decent condition, you *WILL* melt/burn something!

My opinion of Elegoo kits is they generally 'do what it says on the tin', with adequate tutorials (although a bit light on theory).  I am definitely a satisfied customer.

To help with choosing between their top-end Arduino Uno and Mega2560 kits and also the check what the 37 sensor kit would bring to the table I put together the attached spreadsheet.  The *ONLY* significant differences (as of 2020) between their top-end Arduino kits were the Arduino itself, and its protoshield.  The code and tutorials for both are freely available on the Elegoo website, so if you want to upgrade from the Uno kit to the Mega2560 (for moah pins!!), you only need to buy a cheap Mega2560 clone + a Mega2560 form factor protoshield.  If you have stuck the mini breadboard on the Uno protoshield you'll probably want one of those as well.

Sorry the spreadsheet wont directly help if you are comparing other Arduino kits, but at least its got the packing list of the two top-end Elegoo kits pre-filled, so adding a column for the kit you are considering won't take tooooo loooong . . .

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2021, 01:53:50 pm »
I have multiple copies of the Elegoo Starter Kits for both Arduino and Raspberry Pi.  The tutorials are excellent and all code is given.  The user should still spend plenty of time learning from the code.  There will be a test later.

For some projects (all FPGA and some Arduino), I put a 330 Ohm resistor in series with every IO pin.  In both cases, this prevents blowing a pin but in the case of the FPGA it also limits reflections from the fast edges.  It does no harm (unless you are driving a MOSFET gate in which case 100 Ohms may be more appropriate) and can prevent a lot of damage.

I highly recommend this Starter Kit

https://www.amazon.ca/Elegoo-Project-Complete-Starter-Tutorial/dp/B01M9CHF1J

By the time the user finishes with the projects, they have a heck of a background in both electronics and code.

Offline wizard69

• Super Contributor
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2021, 06:35:23 am »
Hello, I would like to learn how to program and set up basic stuff with Arduino. I have no previous experience with any kinds of electronic stuff or programming.
You actually have two different goals here, one involves electronics the other programming.   You don't need an Arduino to learn programming, in fact I'd strongly suggest learning on a PC running Linux of Mac OS.   As for materials to learn you live in a fantastic time where there is much available for free.   The only gotcha here is that you will likely want to start learning C++ if you intend to move to Arduino.   If you want to do embedded, I highly recommend learning programming and digital concepts from the ground up, that includes building a few apps from the command line.

At the same time there is a lot that can be learned about electronics without ever touching an Arduino.   Again lots of stuff on line and much of it free.
So here is my question:
Is any of these three starter kits suitable for a newb?

clipped!

Thanks in advance!

Those are shockingly cheap!!!!!!!!!   The breadboard is likely a piece of crap that will drive you nuts trying to use it.   The other stuff is hard to tell if it is high quality or not.   I would suggest however if you are starting out to get a original Arduino board to avoid having to navigate compatibility issues.   Buy a decent breadboard and maybe use the rest of the kit parts to learn with.

So I'd look at it this way can you afford to waste $20?   Also are you wiling to immediately go out an buy a original Uno and breadboard with those kits.   You will also likely need a battery holder though I did see a 9 Volt clip in one photo.

If you are really interested in electronics you will want to walk through a good electronics course like NEETS.   Here you will have much to investigate that never needs an Arduino.   I strongly suggest learning the basics because I see daily questions on the Arduino forums that are extremely basic electronics questions.   Questions are good of course, but sometimes you can't even answer the question because the person asking is so thin knowledge wise you can help in a paragraph or two.

Offline Ian.M

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2021, 08:03:43 am »
@Wizard69, Electro Fan
Errr . . . the O.P. made ONE post and hasn't even logged on since March 08, 2017, 12:42:47 pm, over four years ago.  A newbie necroposted to the thread yesterday, resurrecting's it.  There's absolutely no point in addressing the O.P. as they are long gone and the thread's drifted to being a general Arduino starter kit buyer's resource.

With that said, the breadboards in the Elegoo kits are generally of acceptable (although not outstanding) quality.   Unfortunately some of their mini breadboards seem to be magnetic indicating steel contacts (hopefully plated) - so far I've had 2 out of 7 that were, but even the steel ones are reasonably usable.   The Elegoo Arduino starter kits apart from their 'UNO Basic Starter Kit' come with a 9V battery snap, a zinc carbon 'heavy duty' 9V battery and a breadboard power adapter (5V/3.3V regulator board).   See my comments about AA battery holders above.   It looks like they've dropped the 9V 1A regulated wallwart from their high-end starter kits - probably a good thing as one is always suspicious of cheap Chinese wallwarts! - so I would recommend recycling a name brand one - or otherwise sourcing a decent quality *SAFE* one locally.  Anything regulated in the range 7.5V to 9V, min. 500mA would do.  DON'T hot-plug a 12V or higher regulated supply into the Arduino or breadboard power board as you risk blowing the AMS1117-5.0 regulator, some suppliers of which have an abs. max input voltage of only 18V and the transient from connecting a supply that's already on can exceed that if the supply is over 9V.  Beware of cheap unregulated supplies - their no-load voltage can rise surprisingly high and again there is a risk of destroying the Arduino and breadboard power boards.

For more background on the breadboard power board and the risk to its regulator see: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/breadboard-power-supply-270498/

« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 10:45:27 pm by Ian.M »

Offline Kappes Buur

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2021, 11:14:46 am »
The kit mentioned by rstofer (Elegoo Starter Kit) indeed is excellent for beginners.

If you want to have a full course, building the circuits and the programming, then I highly recommend
https://toptechboy.com/arduino-tutorial-1-getting-started-with-the-arduino-for-beginners/

And, if in future you want to learn python, or move on yo RPi or Jetson Nano, or robotics, you'll find those tutorials there as well.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2021, 11:18:32 am by Kappes Buur »

Offline rstofer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2021, 06:54:48 pm »
If you want to know what is involved with the Elegoo Super Starter Kit tutorial, you can just download the ZIP file for the kit.  See the download link near the top of this page:

https://www.elegoo.com/blogs/arduino-projects/elegoo-uno-project-super-starter-kit-tutorial

For each of the many experiments, there will be a PDF document explaining what is going to happen.  The code is highly commented.  If you don't want to install the Arduino IDE, you can open the .ino files with any editor.  I tend to use Visual Code.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf