Author Topic: Are Batteries Still Susceptible to Aging and Leaking With Plastic Item?  (Read 4215 times)

Offline Boris_yoTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Sometimes when I get new electronic devices from China, I see there this translucent plastic inserted between one end of battery and device's contact to prevent energy drain. There is a picture attached below for better clarification.

This gave me idea to use similar items in electronics that are lying around my house for months which would prevent drain. Is this a good solution to save batteries from drain and would this also prevent battery leakage?

Offline c4757p

• Super Contributor
  • adieu
This gave me idea to use similar items

Or just remove the batteries.
No longer active here - try the IRC channel if you just can't be without me :)

Offline ConKbot

• Super Contributor
It would certainly prevent drain.  Leakage however, I wouldnt count on alkaline batteries to not leak, ever.  I do this with my old cell phones, I charge them to ~70% on the display, then put a piece of paper between the battery and the contacts, in so if I ever have to re-activate the phone, the battery hasnt been run into the ground by quiescent current.

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
They normally leak because they're old and/or not made very well.
Disconnecting them wont change their likelihood of leaking.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline David_AVD

• Super Contributor
It does make me wonder.  Do flat (depleted) batteries leak earlier than one that still has a charge?

An interesting experiment would be to buy two new AA batteries (from the same batch).  Leave one as-is, but put a resistor across the other one to simulate a quiescent current (15K for ~ 100uA load at start of test).

To keep conditions as even as possible, place them both in battery holders so they are under the same compression.  Also store them in the same place.

Check them once in a while to see if one leaks significantly earlier than the other.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Yes, because even if unused the battery will self discharge, at the least into the high impedance of the atmosphere even with that plastic guard.  Leakage is caused by the discharge of the battery, whether self discharge or in use.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alkaline_battery#Leaks
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline Psi

• Super Contributor
hm.. re:wikipedia
that's not what i was told.

Dunno then, maybe it does have an effect on leakage likelihood.
Greek letter 'Psi' (not Pounds per Square Inch)

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
I should add it also depends on how well the battery was made.  Very rarely, you can have an alkaline brand cell that has never leaked; I currently still use a set of AA Casio brand in a calculator that is over 30 years old, and yes, it still has power ... its actively used.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/fluke-87v-and-9v-energizer-lithium/msg172228/#msg172228

OTAH, NIB from self discharge and poor manufacture:

Over  2 years ago I stopped using new alkaline cells and replaced them all with LSD NiMH.

hm.. re:wikipedia
that's not what i was told.

Dunno then, maybe it does have an effect on leakage likelihood.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2013, 03:00:39 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Frequent Contributor
@saturation Never seen CASIO alkalines. What brand are those that leaked on your picture? Also does leakage secrete hazardous fumes in air? What happens to skin if I accidentally touch leaked material?

• Frequent Contributor
Yes, because even if unused the battery will self discharge, at the least into the high impedance of the atmosphere even with that plastic guard.  Leakage is caused by the discharge of the battery, whether self discharge or in use.

Does it count as self-discharged when using object between batteries and device's contacts?

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
Re: Are Batteries Still Susceptible to Aging and Leaking With Plastic Item?
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2013, 11:55:52 am »
In order:
Casio batteries were only given free with new Casio electronics back in the 1980s; they are no longer made.
Rayovac, but it can happen to any battery. 
No, its not poisonous, and the H2 gas released is not enough to cause a fire, per AA cell, for more details see the MSDS of each battery.
KOH is caustic and can burn your fingers over time, just wash it off or spray the contact area with vinegar.  It will destroy electronics if left long enough so leaking batteries must be removed from devices.

@saturation Never seen CASIO alkalines. What brand are those that leaked on your picture? Also does leakage secrete hazardous fumes in air? What happens to skin if I accidentally touch leaked material?
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2013, 12:03:41 pm »
Generally no.

Technically, self discharge is when the batteries are not connected to anything yet still die.  If you put a insulating plastic between the contacts, anode and cathode, the discharge also takes into account any leakage current in the plastic, which is technically not self discharge.

But its moot, if you don't want to use a device, you should take off the battery because even if your insulator is perfect, an alkaline battery can still leak.  Its only done that way for shipment from factories and they anticipate buyers to use the device and remove that plastic before the cells could leak, which is usually in 2-5 years.

Does it count as self-discharged when using object between batteries and device's contacts?

Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline rdl

• Super Contributor
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2013, 01:32:17 pm »
Most of the time, the only reason the manufacturers use those plastic insulators is to prevent the batteries from being totally drained before the item is sold. Many cheap electronic devices are never really completely off, they use "soft switches" instead of real mechanical switches. There is some kind of micro controller inside that's always running, waiting for you to push the button. I see no reason for this, other than they just want to save a few pennies. Some of these devices are so poorly designed that even when turned "off", the non-rechargeable batteries which would hold their charge for years if not in use, will go dead in a matter of only weeks or months.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf