Author Topic: Are the 2600f 2.5v capacitors dangerous  (Read 13521 times)

Offline HorryhopTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: Are the 2600f 2.5v capacitors dangerous
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2016, 09:29:35 pm »
Hmmm, thanks for the info, but I guess the sort of project I would like to build needs to be practical to build in a small workshop. Thanks for all of the help so far, rich

Offline Seekonk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2016, 09:35:38 pm »
Someone on another board just replaced his aging 48V battery bank in a solar application with super capacitors.  Says he has just under 1KWH of storage.  I'm waiting to see how that turns out long term.

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2016, 10:11:41 pm »
Hmmm, thanks for the info, but I guess the sort of project I would like to build needs to be practical to build in a small workshop. Thanks for all of the help so far, rich

Assuming you are talking about a maximum of one, of them.

You only would have 2.5V available (max), to play with. (Assuming you are not going to mess with shorting it out, to make mini firework (like) displays on youtube). Your options would be one of the following 3 options.

(1)...Find stuff like small motors (low voltage ones) and some colours of leds (e.g. Red & Green) which work at around 2V. Then play with them, WITHOUT needing either battery power or a mains adapter. I.e. Super/Ultra Capacitor powered (it is NOT clear which type you have, you have not provided details or pictures. Apparently such a high value is available in both varieties).

(2)...Make/design or buy a voltage converter, such as a voltage doubler, or probably better still a small switched mode power supply. Choose the DC to DC converter (if you can get any at such a low voltage), to produce a level which will power your projects. E.g. 5V for USB, or 12V for some bigger projects. Or whatever you want.
E.g. To power Torches/Nightsticks, mini computers, big arrays of flashing LEDs, music making equipment, robotics, motors etc etc.

(3)...Make a serious, big project. By buying enough of these to make a bank of them (best to NOT do this, if you are not competent enough with electronics). People make things like car battery replacements, and all sorts of other things. Such as massively powerful, youtube video entertainment, electronics under huge stress, of wild over current/voltage via these massive capacitor banks.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 10:14:53 pm by MK14 »

Offline HorryhopTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2016, 12:02:26 am »
Where is the best/cheapest place to buy 2600F capacitors. Thanks rich

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2016, 12:15:35 am »

I have no idea what you want them for, or why you want to buy them in the first place.

Ebay seems to have many available, usually from China, at lower prices than proper, quality suppliers.
But I am very worried that the quality of them is bad, and that they are fakes and/or NOT at the ratings/values that they claim.

tl;dr
Personally I'd avoid them altogether and buy from a proper supplier. But then they are VERY expensive.

I've wanted to buy some myself, but my options were ebay/China/suspect quality, so I ruled that out.
Proper quality supplier ones (e.g. Farnell/UK), are very expensive. SO I ended up buying NONE.

I would strongly advise you to try and buy something completely different, within electronics. How about an electronics starter kit, or Raspberry PI or something ?

You don't come off as someone who knows enough about them, to use them safely. My opinion is that complete beginners (who seem to think that 2.5V can electrocute), should avoid stuff like that. Learn/begin on something completely different and inherently safe.

Capacitors can get VERY nasty if you don't know what you are doing, and over charge (volt) them.

Potentially cheap Chinese capacitors may have cheaped out on the safety features, combined with your apparent inexperience, could lead to them exploding and causing injury. (If the safety device(s) are missing).

Offline Richard Crowley

• Super Contributor
  • KJ7YLK
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2016, 12:20:32 am »
That's not exactly the kind of component one goes out looking for a bargain for. 
Or casts about looking for a project unless you already had one in-hand.
Did you just pick 2600F capacitors at random?

Both Mouser and DigiKey show 2600F capacitors, but neither of them stock such exotic parts.
So you will have to wait weeks to months to get one. And of course you will pay well over USD400 each.
This seems like an extraordinarily odd question.

Offline Mr.B

• Supporter
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2016, 12:38:35 am »
Just out of curiosity I went and had a look...
Mouser are showing plenty of stock of 3000F 2.7v
Not a bad price considering what they are - between NZD97 and NZD140
I approach the thinking of all of my posts using AI in the first instance. (Awkward Irregularity)

Offline uncle_bob

• Supporter
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2016, 12:47:37 am »

Hi

How many hundred are you planning on buying? The real use for these is in fairly large stacks ....

Bob

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf