Author Topic: Art of Electronics 3rd edition, deployment  (Read 10143 times)

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
Re: Art of Electronics 3rd edition, deployment
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2015, 08:16:00 am »
This is the program.  I hope i don't lose motivation going through all that theory.

That's largely up to you. Don't forget to ask questions.

An engineer wouldn't find the theory boring, because that's what enables them to advance the art. They ought to find the theory challenging - if not then they are just marking time.

A technician might find the theory boring and pointless. That's OK, because both engineers and technicians are necessary, just as both doctors and nurses are necessary. (But the technician-vs-engineer conversation has been done to death elsewhere on this forum, so please let's avoid drifting this thread!)
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2015, 08:28:16 am »
Various people have made points about trigonometry and calculus. Since much enginering theory is based on them you will most definitely need them.

The Euclidian trigonometry I learned when I was 11-13 was sufficient for the university course. I've never learned non-Euclidian trig.

I had exams using basic integration and differentiation when I was 15, and it was necessary for my physics courses between 16 and 18. Nowadays calculus is still necessary for that physics, but is only taught between 16 and 18; shame.

Differential equations are necessary for much engineering, but in electronics only the results are necessary. Any belief that finite element analysis (or similar) is sufficient is misguided - although FEA is necessary in the real world.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline nbritton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: October 14, 2015, 01:01:16 am »
After my upcoming deployment,  I'll be going to school full time for EE. These next 6 months will be a long break from being able to work on my electronics projects. I want to stay with it and prepeare for school as much as possible in the meantime. I have my associates degree already and have been in the field as a technician for 5 years now. My question is, vague and theoretical. My question is, how well will reading and understanding the art of electronics third edition on my deployment, prepare me for undertaking EE courses.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Brush up on your math and physics, EE is heavily dependent on theory. You need to be very confident with Calculus, otherwise school will be hell for you. The great thing about math is the only equipment you need is a pencil and paper.

Offline Daniel_ReyesTopic starter

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: October 14, 2015, 01:10:07 am »
After my upcoming deployment,  I'll be going to school full time for EE. These next 6 months will be a long break from being able to work on my electronics projects. I want to stay with it and prepeare for school as much as possible in the meantime. I have my associates degree already and have been in the field as a technician for 5 years now. My question is, vague and theoretical. My question is, how well will reading and understanding the art of electronics third edition on my deployment, prepare me for undertaking EE courses.

Brush up on your math and physics, EE is heavily dependent on theory. You need to be very confident with Calculus, otherwise school will be hell for you. The great thing about math is the only equipment you need is a pencil and paper.
How do you all master math? Unfortunately,  i was a poor student when i was younger so there is a lot of gaps in my knowledge and i get frustrated trying to learn from YouTube kahn academy,  etc. Trigonometry was hell for me and i barely got a B-.

Offline JoeB83

• Regular Contributor
  • Longmont, CO
« Reply #29 on: October 14, 2015, 01:23:40 am »
Getting a degree is very different from learning to work with them. You will need solid calculus and linear algebra background to learn more advanced courses, such as signal and systems, communication theory, electromagnetic wave, control theory, DSP and more.

When I was in college, I had almost equal amount of math credits and EE credits.

Same here-I took an extra 4 credits (Linear Algebra-highly recommended!) and earned a math minor.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: October 14, 2015, 01:24:11 am »
Anyone else had equal parts math? I'm weak on trig and can't do well self study but that's my only option when i deploy.

Offline nbritton

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2015, 01:32:06 am »

How do you all master math? Unfortunately,  i was a poor student when i was younger so there is a lot of gaps in my knowledge and i get frustrated trying to learn from YouTube kahn academy,  etc. Trigonometry was hell for me and i barely got a B-.

Go back and master Algebra, it's the foundation for all advanced mathematics. Pickup a college algebra book and memorize everything in it, know it like the back of your hand. Then move on to pre-calculus. I did bad in math the first time around in school due to bad teachers. I ended up going back to the local community college and taking all of their remedial math classes. After doing that I aced math. Everything in math is built on layers of previous knowledge, so you must master the foundational topics.

Also study statistics.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 02:14:57 am by nbritton »

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2015, 01:35:56 am »

Go back and master Algebra, it's the foundation for all advanced mathematics. Pickup a college algebra book and memorize everything in it, know it like the back of your hand.
I'll do that. I'm sure you're right. Thanks!

Offline ryanralph

• Ryan's Personal Blog
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2015, 01:41:52 am »
That's a pretty decent lab setup you've got there, it will probably be better than any labs your uni will allow undergrads to use!

Just out of interest where are you located?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #35 on: October 14, 2015, 01:44:33 am »
That's a pretty decent lab setup you've got there, it will probably be better than any labs your uni will allow undergrads to use!

Just out of interest where are you located?
Thanks! I'm located in Texas but I am from California

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #36 on: October 14, 2015, 01:53:37 am »
I definitely feel blessed. I worked my butt off for these things, that's for sure. The equipment lets me learn by diving right in which is how I learn best. I'm hoping it will help me endure the theory. I've learned some hard systems that I've had to work on, enduring months of theory and actually enjoying it before but the one part that always gave me the most joy was the hands on portion.

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #37 on: October 14, 2015, 02:02:30 am »
What was it like going through your EE program?  Were you always happy, excited? Tired?  Stessed? Are you happy now?  What's your general feeling from life?

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #38 on: October 14, 2015, 02:11:48 am »
What was it like going through your EE program?  Were you always happy, excited? Tired?  Stessed? Are you happy now?  What's your general feeling from life?

Class time is always interest, lab time is better, but nights before tests are horrible, and nights before deadlines are worse. Overall, I am not regret being an EE.
I'm loving this insight. Thank you!

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: October 14, 2015, 02:28:48 am »

Class time is always interest, lab time is better, but nights before tests are horrible, and nights before deadlines are worse. Overall, I am not regret being an EE.
How were your classmates? Did you get along with them? Were they passionate?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf