Author Topic: Audio amp as power supply?  (Read 1582 times)

Offline brainwashTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
Audio amp as power supply?
« on: July 05, 2013, 08:16:02 am »
I haven't seen any design that discusses this, not that it would be extremely useful. Very few audio amp datasheets provide DC characteristics, a few of them supply a bandwidth. I thought in an amp design gain decreases (almost linearly) with bandwidth but at least for TDA2030 this seems not true. Is it oscillation at low frequency a reason for this?
http://www.st.com/web/catalog/sense_power/FM125/CL1503/SC979/PF65115

I also have this one in the drawer: http://offer-shem.narod.ru/data/tda/tda1011a.pdf and it does provide DC data and internal schematics but incomplete gain graphs.

Obviously, I have a few of these laying around and was thinking of converting them to controlled PSUs for stress testing. They have really poor precision (0.1%-10%) especially when driven hard, but they provide shortcircuit and thermal protection.

Offline Paul Price

• Super Contributor
Re: Audio amp as power supply?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2013, 08:24:13 am »
Audio amps are not quite suitable for this purpose because most become unstable and oscillate with high capacitive loads, such as a filter capacitor on the "OUTPUT" of your audio power supply-amplifiers. This idea might work with small loads if you decouple the output with a 4 to  8-ohm resistor in series with the output, but the regulation might be rather poor except at low current loads.

Offline brainwashTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2013, 08:33:22 am »
Good explanation, I didn't realize that they were designed for inductive loads.

Offline hlavac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2013, 05:02:35 pm »
Also, most audio amps have protection against DC current on output bacause that burns (literally) speaker coils.
Good enough is the enemy of the best.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf