Author Topic: Basic soldering equipment for toy-grade quadcopters (Hubsan Q4)  (Read 2950 times)

Offline jonwTopic starter

Basic soldering equipment for toy-grade quadcopters (Hubsan Q4)
« on: October 12, 2015, 02:54:39 am »
I just flew my first RC flying object --- a Hubsan Q4. Love it.

(For anyone looking for quadcopters with brushless motors you don't need to replace after every 2 - 20 hours of flying, my few weeks of research will tell you not to. The smallest brushless motor now is the 1306 3100kV, which will still cause flesh wounds easily. The Hubsan Q4 does not injure at all, and the X4 barely scratches your skin. That is also also why I'm coming back to considering learning to solder! I don't fly outdoors.)

What is the best (not minimum) equipment I need to give me an easy time soldering new motors to my Hubsan Q4's and X4's?
Note the really tiny size of the Q4...

I need an easy time soldering new motors to my quadcopters. Why? Given a choice, I would solder nothing. :-P I am still desperately looking for Ready-To-Fly (not DIY) quadcopters that don't require motor replacements or any soldering at all.

I'm not even sure if I need to actually solder. Seems more like simply melting the existing solder joints and attaching new motors to those joints.

Offline wblock

• Regular Contributor
Re: Basic soldering equipment for toy-grade quadcopters (Hubsan Q4)
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2015, 03:32:45 am »
I'm not even sure if I need to actually solder. Seems more like simply melting the existing solder joints and attaching new motors to those joints.

That is soldering.  Depending on the solder and flux already used, it might not need additional solder, but still good to have.

For something that small, a temperature-controlled iron can be set to a specific lower temperature with less risk of melting the plastic frame or insulation on the wires.  "Best" depends on the budget.  The Hakko FX888D is a popular good-quality temperature-controlled station for around $100.  There are cheaper temperature-controlled stations, and with how small those wires and pads are, it probably does not require much.  There are cheaper stations for $50 or less.  The Aoyue 2900 that has disappointed me for several years would have no problem with it.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2015, 03:42:32 am »
'Melting the existing solder joints and attaching new motors to those joints' seems about right. I removed a dead motor from a similar nano quadcopter (Cheerson CX-10) a few months ago and it was practically like this. Just be careful not to pull the pads by being too rough and a temperature-controlled iron like the one wblock suggested would be excellent for the job.  ;D
Magnifying equipment might help as well, but I wouldn't say it would be essential.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 03:55:03 am by crispy_tofu »

Offline jonwTopic starter

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2015, 06:32:34 am »
Quote from: wblock
For something that small, a temperature-controlled iron can be set to a specific lower temperature with less risk of melting the plastic frame or insulation on the wires

@wblock: Ok! I'm getting the Hakko FX888D now! Thanks!

Soldering station it is!

Hmm. Should I get the FX888D or the FX951? Why is the FX951 cheaper than the FX888D?
http://www.banggood.com/HAKKO-FX-951-Style-230V-AU-Plug-Solder-Soldering-Iron-Station-p-932704.html
http://www.banggood.com/HAKKO-FX-888D-Style-230V-AU-Plug-Digital-Display-Solder-Iron-Station-p-952900.html

Exhaust fan?
What about exhaust fan? The one I found looks nothing more than a desktop computer fan:
http://www.banggood.com/2-In-1-PCB-Smoke-Extractor-Exhaust-Fan-For-Soldering-Iron-Station-p-936368.html

Quote from: crispy_tofu
Magnifying equipment might help as well, but I wouldn't say it would be essential.

@crispy_tofu: Oh, that is essential to me. Thanks! :-)

I already have something 5 times bigger than this: https://www.artfire.com/ext/shop/product_view/mybeadpoint/4080831/standing-_fold_able_plastic_loupe_round_color_pink_or_blue/supplies/tools/photography

I'm still gonna wear goggles. :-P
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 06:49:47 am by jonw »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2015, 07:16:49 am »
Hmm. Should I get the FX888D or the FX951? Why is the FX951 cheaper than the FX888D?
Simple. It's a fake.

The FX-888D probably is as well.

Hakko is very heavily counterfeited, so the only way to be sure you're getting a genuine product, is to buy from a distributor/authorized reseller.

Offline hayatepilot

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2015, 07:58:09 am »
Jup, those are fakes. They tell you that in the description: "High Quality Copy Model...." ect.   :palm:

If you want a cheap soldering station at least get one that isn't a fake.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__19240__Soldering_Station_with_Adjustable_Heat_Range_US_Warehouse_.html

Those use probably the same handpiece as the fake 888 but much much cheaper.

Greetings

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2015, 09:49:31 am »
@crispy_tofu: Oh, that is essential to me. Thanks! :-)
You're welcome!  ;D

Jup, those are fakes. They tell you that in the description: "High Quality Copy Model...." ect.   :palm:
That reminds me of the fake HAKKO FX-888 seller that was so brutally honest:
Pls note all Hakko products in our store include solder iron ,hot air gun and
solder iron tips are OEM made in china not original.But we promise 100% tested work
then ship out.If you meet any problems ,pls contact us.Anyway, if you want buy
orginal HAKKO products at such a low price ,pls go away.
:-DD

Exhaust fan?
What about exhaust fan? The one I found looks nothing more than a desktop computer fan:
http://www.banggood.com/2-In-1-PCB-Smoke-Extractor-Exhaust-Fan-For-Soldering-Iron-Station-p-936368.html

IMO exhaust fans are practically desktop fans with a carbon filter, but I could be wrong...  ;D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 09:54:10 am by crispy_tofu »

Offline Paul Price

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2015, 10:26:04 am »
Soldering turns out to be 90% skill and 10% equipment requirements. I visited a "electronic tech school" in Mexico that were making equipment using soldering irons that resembled hotdogs with a point and were heated using no temperature regulation at all, yet the skillful students were able to make beautifully soldered equipment and repairs. They were even working on and replacing SMD parts in their Walkmans just using a cigarette lighter to heat the soldering tool, which in this case was just the bent-out metal pocket clamp on a ballpoint pen.

Buy the cheapest thing you can find since you are only using it occasionally and spend a few minutes practicing your soldering.

If you have money to burn, then consider an Hakko, otherwise consider HACK-OH.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 10:53:46 am by Paul Price »

Offline deadlylover

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2015, 10:47:56 am »
For 20 bucks you can't go wrong with the 936 clones like the one linked above.

Good tools are nice to have but you reeeally don't need a >$100 station if you're doing an average of 4 solder joints a week, if that. I started out with a 936 clone and I don't regret it one bit, just make sure you pick up some good quality leaded solder and you'll be golden.

Offline nowlan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2015, 11:19:56 am »
I am surprised they dont connect via JST or spade plugs. Is it just to reduce cost?
Are the motors prone to fail, or just abuse/accident.

Offline crispy_tofu

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2015, 11:28:08 am »
I am surprised they dont connect via JST or spade plugs. Is it just to reduce cost?
Are the motors prone to fail, or just abuse/accident.

Personally, I think it's a combination of size/weight and price. These nano quadcopters are pretty small - palm size  :)
The motors from my quadcopter failed from abuse/accidents - they can get jammed (occasionally overrevving the motor and destroying it), or exposed to large shocks (especially without prop guards). According to the initial post, they are also prone to failure, so it's a mixture of both.  ;D
Heat is apparently also a problem with these motors.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2015, 11:55:44 am by crispy_tofu »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf