Author Topic: Basic Transformer Experiment  (Read 2988 times)

Offline TimeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Basic Transformer Experiment
« on: June 20, 2014, 05:09:26 pm »
I am playing around with a simple 1:1 transformer that I made.  It consists of 1 turn on the primary and 1 turn on the secondary.

I am charging up a 100 nF capacitor on the primary and letting it discharge through a resistive load on the 2ndary.  It all seems normal with a little bit of loss in voltage but seemingly normal.

The strange thing that happens though is when I go to to discharge the capacitor through the transformer with an inductance on the 2ndary instead of the resistance.  Quite a bit of voltage is loss, about half but it appears to ring out correctly.  Why does this operate correctly under the resistive load (up to the V-s rating of the core) but not under the oscillating/inductive condtion?

The values I am using are 100 nF on the primary, 200 Ohm resistance, and 500 nH inductance.

I feel like the answer lies in basic knowledge of transformers which I don't know much about just yet.
-Time

Offline RazSlack

• Contributor
Re: Basic Transformer Experiment
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2014, 10:51:30 am »
I think your answer might lay in the reactances of your inductor. The impedance (AC resistance at a given frequency) of your inductor might be much lower than the resistor's actual DC resistance on the frequency you discharge it on.

Check the impedance here against frequency. You see that a resistor is pretty constant over the frequency range, while inductive reactance raises with frequency, capacitive reactance drops with frequency

Offline TimeTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2014, 04:02:05 pm »
Cool, thanks for the response.  I actually figured out what the issue was.  My leads on the 2ndary were quite long with a small cross section.  The parasitic inductance was significant at the ringing frequency of ~1 MHz.  I figured this out by shortening them as much as possible and using some flat copper strips I had laying around.
-Time

Offline MrFarag

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 05:36:29 am »
   RazSlack  : Plz send me a refrence for your graph Thanks

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf