Author Topic: Battery Capacity Measurement  (Read 1546 times)

Offline navneetaTopic starter

Battery Capacity Measurement
« on: December 19, 2014, 03:30:19 pm »
Hi, guys I am trying to measure the capacity of a 480 mAH battery. For this I am using constant current measurement method. The test setup is attached(first attachment). Its the same as provided by one of Dave's video. But the problem is I dont get the same capacity as obtained by the battery manufacturer. Their test report is also enclosed(second attachment). Please let me know if I am going wrong somewhere.
Also, I want to measure variation internal resistance of battery with temperature. Could someone suggest an effective way to measure it as well.
Thanks, 

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
Re: Battery Capacity Measurement
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2014, 03:50:22 pm »
So is your capacity more or less ? how old is the battery ?

Offline navneetaTopic starter

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2014, 04:06:12 pm »
I measure it to be approximately 380 mAH. Actually I couldn't note the point when the battery voltage reached cut-off point. When I measured last, it had already discharged to 0.9 V. But in the report provided by manufacturer, the battery voltage is 2.0 V at 95.2 hours while in my case its 0.9 V already after 88.25 hours.
The battery is very new.Its handmade by the company now. 

Offline Simon

• Global Moderator
  • Did that just blow up? No? might work after all !!
    • Simon's Electronics
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2014, 04:12:03 pm »
Are you using the same discharge current the manufacturers tests did ? A larger discharge current will give you a lower overall capacity. Battery ratings are supposed to be for a 10 hour discharge, the Ahr rating means that a 10A battery will last 10 hours if you draw 1A from it, if you draw 5A it will not last 2 hours.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf