Author Topic: Battery Operated Device Power supply  (Read 7252 times)

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
Re: Battery Operated Device Power supply
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2018, 07:27:39 pm »
Its in Chinese but somehow google translate gives a clear view if you copy paste text

Offline paulcaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2018, 07:32:31 pm »
I said back in reply #27 you need to *BUCK*, not boost.   If you buck to the lowest voltage your design can tolerate, you'll save most of the power being dissipated in those resistors or constant current LED drivers.

This is why for my solar setup I charge 12V battery packs and buck to 5V for USB device charging. 

(which as an aside all of the testing in this post has been solar powered).

The problem here is the margins involved.  The circuit seem capable of running down to about 2.9V when the MCU browns out and eventually crashes.

Bucking the 4.2V to 2.7V range of the 18650 limits me to the 4.2 to 3.x voltage range.  The x dependant on the minimum input of the buck converter.

I may misunderstand correctly but a buck converter only operates well when the input is above the output.

Thus I would need to buck down to 3 volt. 

That's possible, would be intersting to see the difference, but ... I'd need to build the buck converter or find and use a cheap module.  I can see there being 3.3V modules available easily, but not 2.9/3.0V modules.
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2018, 07:42:33 pm »
I can send you a TP4056FlexAdv mate.... on the house... I am sure you will solve all your issues... it can be charged by solar directly, take USB 5V, wall adapters of any kind (imp 8-45V), will charge and protect your lithium and has an MT3608 as a booster ... i say, you pm your postal address, i will put one in the mail in a couple days max, you will receive it in a week or so and you will post here how you find it!

Offline paulcaTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2018, 07:45:59 pm »
I'm willing to test this out. :)
"What could possibly go wrong?"
Current Open Projects:  STM32F411RE+ESP32+TFT for home IoT (NoT) projects.  Child's advent xmas countdown toy.  Digital audio routing board.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf