Author Topic: Becoming an engineer  (Read 3819 times)

Offline coolguy841Topic starter

Becoming an engineer
« on: April 19, 2011, 07:27:31 am »
Hey guys I am just wondering whats the best way to go to be an electrical engineer once i leave High School? Should I go to University? Thanks in advance :D

Offline GeoffS

• Supporter
Re: Becoming an engineer
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2011, 07:46:43 am »
Depends on your location's education system, but yes, university or college will be required to get an engineering degree.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2011, 07:46:59 am »
There are many ways to get into engineering (that can vary by country), university is just one of them, albeit the most traditional, regnognised and most guaranteed route. It is also the hardest, one of the longest, and IMO one of the more boring ways.
So yes, university is the standard answer to that question.

Dave.

Offline coolguy841Topic starter

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2011, 08:02:10 am »
Great thanks! i guess ill go to university after i leave school. Im Australian. What is albeit? :D

Offline Zap

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2011, 11:47:54 am »
I would recommend uni in Australia, i did not complete a degree and rather worked through the ranks learning on the job ( with a tafe diploma) and don't get me wrong it was fantastic. I learn't heaps and i felt it made me a better engineer however when i applied for new roles they always held it against me.( not having a degree)

If i had my time again i would get the paperwork (degree) out of the way young and then start really learning on the job, and as such i would not focus on the wage for your early years but rather a good job where you will learn and enjoy your time and place yourself in a good position for the years to follow.

I have since obtained my degree as a mature age student and although i don't think i am much better than prior, its removed the "snob - no degree attitude" some HR people have.

Enjoy your time, because the 4 years will fly
Forever learning

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2011, 04:24:48 pm »
Im Australian. What is albeit? :D
afaik, albeit = all be it
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 04:28:24 pm by Mechatrommer »
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline McPete

• Regular Contributor
  • Layout Designer, AKA eCAD monkey
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 08:50:28 am »
I would recommend uni in Australia, i did not complete a degree and rather worked through the ranks learning on the job ( with a tafe diploma) and don't get me wrong it was fantastic. I learn't heaps and i felt it made me a better engineer however when i applied for new roles they always held it against me.( not having a degree)
<snip>
I have since obtained my degree as a mature age student and although i don't think i am much better than prior, its removed the "snob - no degree attitude" some HR people have.

This is the road I'm going too. I've also done a trade (instrumentation and control), currently doing my Adv. Diploma, and the goal is the degree.

I will agree, a lot of HR and headhunter people seem to barely acknowledge the existence anything less than a Bachelor's degree (And trumpet the fact they have such a qualification...). If you ever encounter someone with this attitude, remind them of this; The smart employer hires the person capable of doing the work.

Enjoy your Uni, but try to get yourself some practical time on holidays with a local employer. If you can whack on your CV that you've worked (even voluntarily) in engineering more than the other graduates of your year, or even an associated field, that'll put you streets ahead of the pack.

Best of luck, and maybe I'll see you out there!
Peter

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf