Author Topic: Beginner setting up a lab - What do you guys think?  (Read 9474 times)

Offline janekm

• Supporter
Re: Beginner setting up a lab - What do you guys think?
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2015, 08:08:23 pm »
[snip].  Picture a small electronic box, on the front is a 16x2 Blue / White backlit LCD with buttons next to it, communicates via serial or i2c.  on either side of the box is an RJ-11 telephone port.  The box would be multifunctional.  It could be programmed to record conversations, either all of them or only from certain numbers.  It could be programmed to block calls and not ring the line based on the number.  It could be an answering machine, it could be a fax machine and you would retrieve your faxes via ethernet, or USB.  It could be programmed to do wakeup calls.  Obviously something like this is going to need an embedded processor as all of the functions are gong to be added by software.  any thoughts?

That box is what we used to call a modem! (I only half jest... I've seen most of the functionality you suggest implemented by modems over the years... Even the 16x2 LCD...)

I kind of have to agree with the others, if you've got the possibility return what you can; It's easy to get caught up in equipment last and buy (on credit!) a lot of things you later find you don't really need. And don't dismiss ICs too easily either; We're all building on the shoulders of giants and the huge range of ICs available today make it possible for a single designer to build devices that would have been inconceivable in years past. Not to mention, as others have, that a lot of functionality we take for granted today may not even be physically possible in discrete components (WiFi?).

Offline LabSpokane

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2015, 08:11:58 pm »
All my life, im 30, ive been a computer repair technician, and I am very good at what I know.

Picture a small electronic box, on the front is a 16x2 Blue / White backlit LCD with buttons next to it, communicates via serial or i2c.  on either side of the box is an RJ-11 telephone port.  The box would be multifunctional.  It could be programmed to record conversations, either all of them or only from certain numbers.  It could be programmed to block calls and not ring the line based on the number.  It could be an answering machine, it could be a fax machine and you would retrieve your faxes via ethernet, or USB.  It could be programmed to do wakeup calls...

Obviously something like this is going to need an embedded processor...

Because when I build my telephony device, there are going to be NO ICs.  Its cheating to use someone elses design and call it your own.  Every circuit i build will be using transistors, resistors, capacitors, voltage rectifiers, and transformers.  No ASICs or ICs here.

:palm: :palm: :palm:

Offline wagon

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2015, 08:25:50 pm »
You have to crawl before you can walk.  In this case, you have to get on the floor before you can crawl.  There's many years of learning ahead!
Hiding from the missus, she doesn't understand.

Offline Sigmoid

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2015, 08:44:33 pm »
Also, don't eat on the couch. It's barbaric. :P

Offline 691175002

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2015, 08:57:09 pm »
The two soldering stations happened because after I purchased the Tenma, I read some bad things about not being able to find replacement irons.  So I ordered a weller.  Also I do have components and solder.  Went to a local radio shack that was going out of business. components were 70% off so i bought every single component they had.

Just figured I'd point out that even at a 70% discount you are still getting screwed sideways by radioshack pricing.

The discrete component prices I have seen at radioshack are a good 500%-10,000% more than you should be paying to begin with.

Offline Tallie

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: March 20, 2015, 04:48:31 am »
Why would I want to return it?

Because you went in debt to acquire a bunch of second rate, over-priced stuff that you have no need for, and possibly don't even know how to use. It's no big deal, people have done dumber things. I certainly have, but I'd still return it all if it's not too late.
Why such a harsh tone? ... Great way to welcome someone interested in the hobby.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2015, 05:59:06 am by Tallie »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: March 20, 2015, 05:56:26 am »

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2015, 02:50:01 pm »
I flashed an LED with a 555 Timer IC.  However, I consider that cheating. 
Did you also learn the other bajillion things you can do with a humble 555, and out of that experience appreciate how cleverly it has been designed?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf