Author Topic: Beginners DSO-138 assembly question  (Read 1196 times)

Offline cepwinTopic starter

• Supporter
Beginners DSO-138 assembly question
« on: October 15, 2017, 08:35:54 pm »
I'm putting together the DSO-138 and I ran into an issue.   There are supposed to be 4 2-pin male jumper pins to install, two on the mail board, two on the LCD board.   In the kit I instead found an 8 pin male jumper pin set.   Are this somehow supposed to be broken up into 4 2-pin pieces??  Looking at the close up of the part it sure looks that way.   If you are suppose to break up the 8-pin into 4-2pin pieces what is the best way to go about it??  I've attached a picture of the part in question

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
Re: Beginners DSO-138 assembly question
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 08:40:09 pm »
You can use a wire cutter to cut through the groves.  If you don't have a wire cutter, then use a plier and hold 2 pins at a time to break or hold the other larger part, leave 2 pins out of the plier and apply force to break in pieces of 2 pins.  If you need to cut them in larger pin counts, you can just use your fingers, but 1 or 2 pins is not that easy.

• Supporter
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 09:01:49 pm »
Thanks TK...that makes sense!

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2017, 10:28:18 pm »
Before you start breaking anything, double check your requirements.

My DSO138 has 2 x 2 pin, 1 x 3 pin and 1 x 4 pin headers - which adds up to the same 11 pins you have there.

• Supporter
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 10:26:41 pm »
Thanks and your're right and I misread thinking it was 2 1x3's....I ended up having two 1x1 rather than a 1 1x2 at the end...since there is only plastic between them and no connection I think it should still work ....I'm actually more concerned about the transistors 

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2017, 01:45:42 am »
Aside from being harder to install straight, two single pins will work just as well as a two pin piece - and once soldered properly, should not be a problem.

The two 2 pin connections are primarily used as physical support for the "free" end of the display board.  If I remember correctly, they do not have any electrical function.

When installing a single row of pins, you have to be careful of vertical alignment in one direction - but when you have single pins, you have to worry about that for 360ยบ.  I would suggest that when you mount these 2 pins on the display board, you use the mating sockets on the main board to locate and align them.  Just lightly plug them together for this, as they are a very firm fit and if you want to check anything, the 40 pin connector is not easy to separate.  (If you ever need to, be patient, take it gently and try to separate it evenly.)
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 01:47:26 am by Brumby »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf