Author Topic: Beginners, say hello to DS212 ($89 open source 1Mhz STM32 Color Pocket Scope)  (Read 17604 times)

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Hantek 6022BE USB scope, 20 MHz for $70.56 on Banggood.  Hook it up to a laptop and you have a screen you can read.
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

The following users thanked this post: Cliff Matthews

Offline Cliff MatthewsTopic starter

• Supporter
    • General Repair and Support
I think this is also the first time I’ve seen an engineer disparage something because it’s extensible... so closed-box (like iPhone) is bad, and open-source and extensible is bad, too. Got it.  ::)
I think it's just the dry German humor, at 43 seconds he sounds in favor of open source (of course, the Chinese makers will say almost anything to sell something..). His remark, "what seals the deal is the OS firmware", so that's also in favor and the snake game (although true) was just more humor.  I will post a schematic if I can get one.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2017, 08:40:00 pm by Cliff Matthews »

Offline ez24

• Super Contributor
  • L.D.A.
This one has a case

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/CCDSO-Mini-Digital-Oscilloscope-DS212-DSO212-Thumb-Wheel-1MHz-8MB-LCD-Display-Handheld-Pocket-Osciloscopio-Silicone/32834287981.html

Amazon has only one two star review
https://smile.amazon.com/YKEY-Original-Portable-Handheld-Oscilloscope/dp/B0741BNCTT/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1510964301&sr=8-2&keywords=dso212+oscilloscope&dpID=41KTfCeAuGL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

They said it was because the traces cannot be separated.  Could not find a video that mentioned this but from what I can see, they can be separated.  Why would someone design it otherwise?

YouTube and Website Electronic Resources ------>  https://www.eevblog.com/forum/other-blog-specific/a/msg1341166/#msg1341166

• Supporter
Hantek 6022BE USB scope, 20 MHz for $70.56 on Banggood.  Hook it up to a laptop and you have a screen you can read.
Yes, prices on those are falling too. Size has to include a USB host computer (and grounding issues at times). I'd gladly swap display and thumb-wheels for control data to run over WiFi via ESP32. IMHO, it's cheaper than the LCD and the Hantek IDS1070A is a good example.

Online baltersice

• Regular Contributor
I'm not sure who minidso.com is, but the OEM could be Sainsmart
miniware.com is the manufacturer, minidso.com is their forum, where they i.e. release firmware sources

I'd say some misinformation in the video? at 42 sec. ("this one's completely open source")
Yes, I may have used the open source hardware logo prematurely there, because the schematics are not yet public. (But those of the older DS203 are)
But the software is there and it compiles.

I can't imagine the freebies he gets...
Me neither tbh :o
BG have 'adopted' me at 4k subscribers with the TS100 soldering iron and haven't stopped since.
If I ever become a big deal, I will try to be more mindful about these product placement deals.
But as long as I am such a small fry I'll continue to accept everything, because it's fun.

Offline kalel

• Frequent Contributor
Just out of curiosity, when they send you random stuff with a decent value, do you have to pay some fees to receive the item (doesn't matter what the fee is exactly, simply the amount)?

If so, the freebies might not be free after all. I'm not considering the work you do to make a video, since you probably accept items that you have interest in and might purchase otherwise, not items that are completely useless to you.

Regarding the promotional videos, I don't think they spoil anyone's channel as long as they are done well. In case of technical reviews, it's great to still keep the review as objective as possible in addition to making it clear the item was sent by whomever sent it in order to do a promotion. So, not simply a video that keeps mentioning how great the item is but one that considers the advantages and disadvantages and the price point (you might have gotten the item for free, but is is it good value to purchase).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 02:25:08 pm by kalel »

Online baltersice

• Regular Contributor
when they send you random stuff with a decent value, do you have to pay some fees to receive the item?
Only thing I had to pay were taxes and customs on a few rare occasions. Most expensive item yet, the laser machine, was free. I am not sure how they do it, but I think they might be working with smaller logistics companies in the EU, because I think I saw return addresses in the Netherlands oder the UK.

• Supporter
baltersice - Thanks for the reply, it's always nice to hear from someone real working their way to the top and still enjoying it (like Dave Jones). If I can speak for many here, we wish you tremendous success on your channel (your humor and photography skills achieve professional levels to be sure).

Q - We've had your YT channel listed for a while, but may we add your member name to our Youtubers list?

Online baltersice

• Regular Contributor
Yes, of course you can add it!

Offline soubitos

• Frequent Contributor
    • I sell on Tindie
It sells for the very low price of €488.73 on gearbest....  wtf? is it a different version or they price it wrong? I told them this model sells for 80-110$ tops (those are the prices i see around) and am curious to see what they will do

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf