Author Topic: Beginners toolkit  (Read 8982 times)

Offline slowpokeTopic starter

• Contributor
Beginners toolkit
« on: October 05, 2014, 10:13:57 am »
Hello good folks.

I was just browsing ebay/shops for stuff i need to so some repair work and i see that i dont know enough to choose well.
Assume someone just starting out at RC/electronics etc. What tools do you HAVE to have ?

What i have/need at the moment:

1. (have)Soldering station (Tenma 60w)
2. (have/need)Soldering iron tips ??? At the moment i only have conical that came with it. No chisels yet (some in the post).
3. (need)Flux. I'm looking for something now, as i ran out of kester 951 pens. I consider them wasteful. Any suggestions what to get ? Brush-on ? Syringes ? Gel ? Rosin (have some string rosin).
4. (have/need)Tweezers/picks ? I only got old medical chunky tweezers for serious pulling. Do i need picks ? (i think i do, but just humor me)...
5. (NEED!!!)Desoldering pump. Mine is absolutely useless (doesnt hold vacuum), need to replace it. With what ?
5a. (NEED!!!)Wicking braid. The one i have is useless, its not dense enough and splits a lot. What good braids can be had ?
6. Chemicals. I have and use 99% IPA to clean up. But it kind of leaves the board a bit sticky ? Mixes with no-clean flux and makes a mess ? Acetone ? Acids ? Need advice on this.
7. (have/need)Helping hands / board holders ? I have helping hands, but soldering/desoldering from boards on both sides is a bit of a chore. Need something to hold (bigger) board so i can work on both sides at the same time... ??? Suggestions ?
8. (need)Lighting/magnification. Not going into SMD sizes here, but to inspect smaller work i may need some help.
9. (have)Work surface ? I use silicone sheet.
10. Multimeter. I have a cheap one, dont trust it 100% but it will do for now as i cant afford a good true rms one (fluke 115 ?).

Any other tools you consider a necessity ?

At the moment i'm looking for a good quality solder sucker, flux, braid and tips for my iron.

I'm from UK, so looking for locally available tools/materials or ebay listings, although this is universal and open ended question...

Care to comment and add ?

Cheers
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 10:23:57 am by slowpoke »

Offline Timmay

• Contributor
  • Electrical Engineering Student
Re: Beginners toolkit
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2014, 11:00:54 am »
2. I prefer chisels. Some do some don't. I prefer tips that have less drop in heat and can hold their thermal mass on the project better.
3. I use 50 mL syringe squeeze bottles with liquid flux.
4. I use DMC tweezers. Really a set of straight and angled tweezers should be good enough.
5. Watch reviews online. That really depends on your budget.
5a. I use Chem-Wik from Chemtronics.
6. I also use Isopropyl Alcohol 99% as well and in addition to that I use Chemtronics ES135 Flux Off. The key is cleaning, its just part of the revolution. I use acid brushes cut down the bristles to varying levels to change stiffness. With this I use a alcohol dispensing bottle. Makes it convenient, keeps your supply containment free and prevents waste from spills.
7. These are great: http://www.ebay.com/sch/rjter50/m.html?_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=
8. You can use the above helping hands (depending on model with a magnifying glass. It holds a lot of weight (cement base). In my garage I have a bench dedicated to electrcal crap with an LED 2 bulb over head light. Plenty for my needs, your mileage my vary.
9. I have a mat for ESD protection when I feel the need and honestly, that is rare. I need heavy duty work benches to be made of wood (24 feet worth of it divided up to 3 benches) as I clear out the scopes and meters for transmission rebuild and what not. So you will need other input from members if you are looking for permanent solutions. My mat is I think 4 X 3. No idea what brand of where I got it (see explanation at end for my habits and tool selection).
10. Meter depends on your need and I recommend you watch Dave's video on meters. I have had my fair share of meters that I have given the privilege of meeting the deck at a high rate of speed. I have a bunch, but your needs again will vary.

I worked in aviation for over a decade as both a metalsmith and electrician. We have VERY specific ways we do things including tools and materials because all those procedures are written in blood, meaning someone died for a standard to exist. These rules are on par with NASA standards and we have thrown many thousands of dollars worth of materials for the smallest mistake. So my recommendations may not be appropriate for everyone nor are my habits which some would call anal. If you want a taste go watch a video on youtube of NASA soldering standards, a test we took every 6 months.

Meter shootout:

I recommend spending a bit more on a meter for longevity when you can. Especially when you get into circuit analysis having a cheap meter 15% off does not induce much confidence. In college I would get a hard on when my calculations matched closely to my physical circuits. Just my .2 cents, everyone has their own opinion/experiences.
Before you take my advice, know that I have 12 years experience as an aviation electrician and am currently a junior perusing a degree in EE. Barely wet behind the ears. I respect everyone's opinion, could be wrong and love to learn. Please don't hesitate to correct me. ;p

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2014, 01:59:02 pm »
2. I prefer chisels primarily as well. Bent chisel, drag solder tip/hoof, and a single small conical (tack down corners on IC's) are nice to have as well. That said, Hakko has a very nice Tip Shape Selector page you might want to spend some time investigating.

3. MG Chemicals Rosin 835 is a hobbyist friendly size, and it's excellent quality. Multiple ways to dispense it. There's brush bottles, needle bottles, squeeze bottles (like large bottle of eye drops), dip a small brush into a well of some sort, refillable pens, and brush pens (i.e. Bonkote BON-102 products <real ones aren't cheap, so there are fakes>). Personally, I have a needle bottle, spot plate I can dip a brush into, and a BON-102.

4. Basic #5 and #7 pattern tweezers are nice to have, as are a set of dental picks to use as probes and scrapers. Costs here can vary wildly, depending on quality.

5. Edsyn DS017 is a good one (plenty of knock offs).

5a. Chemtronics.

6. Denatured alcohol (can's I get are a 50/50 mix of ethanol and methanol <cheaper & easier to find than 99+% IPA locally>), but I also have acetone and xylene (this can be mixed with alcohol, and makes a nice flux cleaner for the stubborn deposits IMHO). Can find this stuff in hardware/home improvement and paint stores here in the US.

7. Following post might be of interest: panavise vacuum foot on rubber ESD bench mat - Does it work?

8. Something like an Optivisor, combined with good lighting.

9. 2 layer rubber ESD mat. This and a wrist strap are sufficient for ESD control for hobbyist use (it's not a clean room environment). Rubber mat also protects your table surface, as it absorbs impacts and can take the heat from a soldering iron. Not sure of a reasonable source in the UK though.

10. Depends on what you're after. Usually nice to have multiples anyway, so you can make simultaneous measurements (also happens to provide a spare or two should you damage one). Lots of threads on this, as well as Dave's shootout episodes. Couple of threads that might be of interest dmms that don't meet safety specs, Unit-T 61E.

Other tools:
Spudgers, fiberglass scratch brush. Lots of different basic hand tools (you didn't mention these, so I presume you have these).

BTW, if you go into your user profile and set your country, your flag will display under your userID. Makes it a lot easier when replying, particularly regarding links.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 05:10:25 pm by nanofrog »

Offline Apothus

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2014, 03:12:46 pm »
2. Another vote for chisel tips. I have irons with different tips but i keep a chisel in my Chinese Hako
3. I typically use over the counter chemtools gel rosin from Jaycar or Altronics. If you are tinning a lot of wires a pot of http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-10g-Rosin-Soldering-Solder-Paste-Flux-Cream-Welding-Paste-Fragrant-/271583818254?pt=AU_B_I_Electrical_Test_Equipment&hash=item3f3ba8320e]this[/url] is easier to apply
4. I bought a set of 7 as a china special, typically just use the curved set 90% of the time. I use a decent ammount of force with them and havent broken them yet
5a. Some swear by Goot, I bought a large roll of 6mm braid in china the guy swore (at least i think he did) was genuine, it works fine, sometimes extra flux is good. if in doubt add more flux

6. I also use a mix of 99% IPA and Chemtools flux remover from Altronics. TBH the flux remover is good for blasting clean however it is very expensive and I still think a toothbrush is needed to really clean up a board, especially if it has rework on it.

8. This may not be exactly what you are after but it is what i use http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Celestron-Hand-Held-5MP-Digital-Pro-Microscope-44308-Up-to-200X-Coins-Stamps-/271530444613?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f3879c745]Celestron USB Microscope with base.[/url] I got it about half that price. there are cheaper ones that I played with but the software on this one is a lot easier to setup and runs very well, plus this unit has a much better stand and illumination. If you set the height towards the top it can be used whilst you solder although it takes a little practice.

9. I use an ESD mat and poorly at that. If you get one be careful when doing hot work as they will melt & burn. I was also warned to be very careful when using them with mains AC although I dont think this advice is gospel as the resistance of ESD matts is very high. I would be keen to know how often other people take full ESD precautions, grounded mats and wrist straps when working on their projects?

10. I have a Brymen meter I got 10 years ago as a gift (true RMS though) it has done me well. If I am going to replace it then I would probably move up to a decent bench meter

Optional:
Solder pot. These things are cheap, nasty and cheap. They are the duck's proverbials when it comes to tinning a lot of wire though. Just make sure you dont fill it with rosin core solder, buy some proper solder bars. Then when you have a nice molten pot of lead on your desk dip the wire in a tub of flux then into the pot, job done.

Two sets of side cutters. A cheap and nasty pair for hacking at things and a good quality sharp pair that you keep on a velvet blanket. the same goes for flush cutters

Hot air gun. You will eventually do more with SMD, a cheap unit with the fan in the handle will do everything.

Jumper wires. Decent quality and not too long in all three gender ratios. Adafruit have some decent http://www.adafruit.com/products/759 ] ones [/url]

Offline Syntax_Error

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2014, 03:14:55 pm »
Have you seen Dave's video "How to Set Up an Electronics Lab" by chance? It is a great video. It does cover test equipment toward the beginning, but he goes over a lot of tools and general supplies along the way. Really awesome video.

http://www.eevblog.com/2011/04/30/eevblog-168-how-to-set-up-an-electronics-lab/
It's perfectly acceptable to not know something in the short term. To continue to not know over the long term is just laziness.

Offline abaxas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2014, 03:33:54 pm »
One of these never goes amiss....

7-10 quid off ebay is much better than burning the skin off your index finger.

Offline Timmay

• Contributor
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 04:40:56 am »
+1 for the burning skin. I forgot to mention safety equipment like fans, goggles, gloves sometimes, fume pullers, etc. One time I was trying to hold some stuff together with one hand and had my iron off to the side on a bench standoff (not inserted into the station holder) when I went to grab the iron I kept my eyes on the project, and grasped the iron with my thumb and index finger, that was it for me for the night. Point is, consider safety in both a protective equipment standpoint and mental addition to your train of thought for everything you do.
Before you take my advice, know that I have 12 years experience as an aviation electrician and am currently a junior perusing a degree in EE. Barely wet behind the ears. I respect everyone's opinion, could be wrong and love to learn. Please don't hesitate to correct me. ;p

Offline Shock

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2014, 05:42:00 am »
A manual desolder pump is quite useful, I use one almost every time I desolder and use wick for clean up. They are about $10-20 for decent one.
Many people hate them but you need patience to learn how to use them properly, such as applying extra solder and flux before desoldering. Working on old junk pcbs will allow you to perfect the art.

If you have problems with solder splashing, tape or cover off the surrounding area and make sure your iron is not too hot. Wearing safety glasses are a good idea. Cheap reading glasses with a minimal magnification work well for general use, you can bump up the magnification if you need to as well.

Hakko FR 300 is the newest desoldering pump out there see this thread.

A multibit set that has all the torx and security bits to open things up.  You need to be careful of shaft diameters opening some equipnment. If you get real serious the individual tools are nice but a "30/40/50 in one" (etc) is way cheaper.
Soldering/Rework: Pace ADS200, Pace MBT350
Multimeters: Fluke 189, 87V, 117, 112   >>> WANTED STUFF <<<
Oszilloskopen: Lecroy 9314, Phillips PM3065, Tektronix 2215a, 314

Offline slowpokeTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2014, 07:56:26 pm »
What about pcb holder of some sort ? Helping hands, even four handed dont solve working on both sides at the same time problem. I'm asking because i need to do a lot of desolder with sucker against pcb from opposite side to soldering iron...

At the time i'm just using weighty stuff to keep board from falling over, which doesnt really work that well...

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2014, 08:04:22 pm »
What about pcb holder of some sort ? Helping hands, even four handed dont solve working on both sides at the same time problem. I'm asking because i need to do a lot of desolder with sucker against pcb from opposite side to soldering iron...

At the time i'm just using weighty stuff to keep board from falling over, which doesnt really work that well...

If you really need something for that: Panavise.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Timmay

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2014, 08:55:05 am »

Don't get what you mean. The link I posted will do the trick, as well as Bored@Work's post with the Panvise. When I de-solder I just flip the board upside down. Then again it depends on the style you go with, wick, solder suckers or all out de-soldering stations. What type of angle are you talking here, I assume vertical so you can iron one side and suck the other in which case both suggestions would work.

Offline abaxas

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2014, 11:21:30 am »
Get yourself down poundland. Loads of cheap semi disposable tools and they even sell air duster for a quid!

Also remember that better quality tools don't always do a better quality job.

Offline paulhm81

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2014, 06:04:12 am »
A little advice.

I use a manual desoldering pump all the time and I find them almost useless as they are. There are some thick power cables with a white insulator that is thermal resistant. I always use the insulator on the tip of the pump. I cut about 1 cm of insulator and force it on the tip and leave just a bit over the tip and the suction is 200% better and it doesn't drip nearly as much.

Something like this ( the white part)

Offline SeanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2014, 06:20:50 am »
Silicone rubber sleeve, also available as cable sleeving from RS and CPC/Farnell/E14. You can also use a rubber cable end as a gasket as well, which is a Hellerman Tyton part that is expanses over a cable ( typically a screened cable) end with some 3 jaw pliers to cover the shield ground wire connection. You can also use silicone aquarium tubing from the pet shop. Just make sure it is silicone and not PVC, quickest way is to see if it melts before burning with a lighter, doing so outdoors of course, a the smoke is noxious in both cases. If it chars and does not melt it is silicone, melting is PVC or other plastic.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf