Author Topic: Bench ergonomics, how high should the equipment be placed.  (Read 2571 times)

Offline SirRageTopic starter

• Contributor
I was wondering if people would be interested in sharing which bench setups worked well for them, and what didn't work.

I've got a 2x4' work surface and even though that was okay for just working with something, it quickly got crowded with the equipment I have. When I built a little hutch for it, it helped but I still feel like the equipment should almost be 2' back from the work surface and raised slightly, like 8" off of the surface.

I'm in the process of building a better bench and any input would be much appreciated.

Offline PuterGeek

• Regular Contributor
    • SolutionsPLUS engineering
Re: Bench ergonomics, how high should the equipment be placed.
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 08:49:09 pm »
I think you have the right general idea (elevated and toward the back of the work surface) but you probably want it higher than 8".

I like a layered approach. I have my soldering iron and power supply on the bench top and test equipment on a riser above 12" [4.7 cm] above that. This allows the soldering iron and power supply to be under the test equipment. I also like having my scope nearer to eye level.

You may even want to have additional levels maybe 10 to 12" [4 to 4.7 cm] apart above. This gives you room to grow with less frequently used equipment and storage higher up. Look at Dave's setup in his videos.

Adjustable shelves is probably best but make sure to use something sturdy. Regular bookshelf pins on the side won't be adequate since some of the equipment is heavy.

Hope this helps!

Offline Gary350z

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 08:57:44 pm »
Check out this thread, it has hundreds of bench pictures. It should be helpful.

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/whats-your-work-benchlab-look-like-post-some-pictures-of-your-lab/

Offline G0HZU

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 09:27:56 pm »
If space is tight then I recommend that you don't store parts/components or tools in your immediate workspace. It just kills the (potential) working space for yourself.

I'd recommend a deeper bench than 2' if at all possible and also fit some shelves as PuterGeek recommends.

I'd also recommend that you don't try and cram all your test gear on the bench 'at the same time'. However, if you do cram it all on there you will get lots of approving/admiring comments. But you will soon find that there is little or no room left for yourself and any project material you introduce.

For me, the best option has been to apply the 'squeeze' to the test equipment (and not to me) so I try and arrange my bench to only have the stuff I need for work in the short/medium term.

Obviously, some items end up staying on it all the time but I like to keep the bench area as clear as possible and also keep a few temporary 'stash' areas clear on the shelves. So don't use up all the shelf space either :)

This does mean that you have to find somewhere to stash your unused test gear but none of my test gear ever 'complains' no matter how cramped or hidden the other storage location becomes :)

In short, make sure that 'you' own your workspace rather than it being owned 24/7 by your test gear and tools/component bins.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 09:56:42 pm by G0HZU »

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 09:36:56 pm »
Much will depend on your workflow, size of your equipment and most importantly; viewing angles of each piece of equipment. Much of what most of us do is seated and std bench height is 30" but there are occasions where larger DUT's are worked on and standing is then preferred....  viewing angles are then much different. Experiment with your gear and adjust positions to suit.

But a good rule of thumb for measuring equipment is to be placed at eye level. Other gear is of lower importance, irons, PSU's etc.....right or left handed may have a influence on location.
But don't back yourself into a corner....your gear may change and work methodology too, so make shelving flexible and any compartments too.  :-/O
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline KL27x

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2016, 01:29:44 am »
My bench is layered, too. I sorta just add-hocked it and added bits over time.

I have a 2'2" x 6' main work surface, which was the original bench. Then on top of that I had a 8" deep hutch.

Then I added a depth extension, which is a 7" x 6' wing which is raised 1 1/2" over the main work surface. I moved my hutch over this extension. So now I have about 2' 9" x 6' work surface, the back 7" of which is raised.

Then I moved and gained more depth and width in my lab. I built a 8" x 8' free standing table that sits directly behind my bench, proper. This is about 3 1/2" taller than the bench extension. And I moved my hutch and my computer monitor to this table. So I have 3 different heights/tiers to my bench: 0", +1.5", +5". The air gaps between the tiers provide place to route wires and/or dangle probes, etc. E.g, my PSU sits on the tallest tier in the back, but the output cords run down under the 7" extension to pop out at the back of my 2'2" main work surface, closer to where I need it. And I have a lot of USB cables and other stuff also set in holders between the main bench and the 7" riser. I don't plug my scope probes in/out when I need them. I just left them dangle between the bench proper and the back extension table.

I still feel like the equipment should almost be 2' back from the work surface and raised slightly, like 8" off of the surface.
My scope and PSU are now sitting on the hutch on the extension table, which is about 2'9" behind the front edge of my work bench. How high depends on how far you can reach, I guess. I have basically 3 shelves on my hutch, including the top, which is about 5' 6" high. My PSU is on the floor level, so 5" higher than my bench. My scope is on the first shelf, a little over a foot above the bench surface. I have to stand up to twiddle with my scope controls. But this works out fine for me. If I need to, I can clear space and set equipment closer at hand. So, yeah, basically I agree with your assessment. Test equipment up and away. This keeps the displays and controls visible/accessible with stuff in front of it, and it keeps the probes out of your way. Soldering equipment front and right, to keep the cords away.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2016, 06:32:44 am by KL27x »

Offline mazurov

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2016, 10:41:50 pm »
Don't forget about the floor.  Proxxon drill press, reflow skillet, laminator, paint stripper, as well as all different vices sit under the bench until needed. Old scopes work just fine in a vertical position and some even have legs on a back wall. Something of a 7000 size can be used as a small bench - I  have had the 'bench' consisting of 7904 on the floor next to my bed plus a soldering iron on a bedside table for about 3 years.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine - RFC1925

Offline GiantGnome

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 05:45:53 am »
... on a riser above 12" [4.7 cm] above that.

... 10 to 12" [4 to 4.7 cm] apart above.

Are you converting inches to centimeters the wrong way around? 10" ~= 25 cm (25.4)

Offline hammy

• Supporter
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 07:28:54 am »
I  have had the 'bench' consisting of 7904 on the floor next to my bed plus a soldering iron on a bedside table for about 3 years.

My wife would kill me!
  :o

On a Bench with shelves the instruments on the top should be reachable without stool.
Have a look in this tread for ideas: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/whats-your-work-benchlab-look-like-post-some-pictures-of-your-lab/

Cheers
hammy

EDIT: Sorry, Gary350z already posted the link.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 07:35:22 am by hammy »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf